[net.wobegon] "The way it was"

lbv@sdchem.UUCP (Gordon Schlesinger) (04/29/86)

The April 26 telecast of APHC was not only ripping good fun,
but  also  a  chance  to see the past come alive.  Much more
than just providing an  opportunity  to  see  what  everyone
"looks  like",  the  show  provided an accurate feel for the
stage production of  "big time network radio shows" as  they
once occurred in this country.

I vividly recall being taken, as a  youngster,  to  the  NBC
Radio  Network studios in Hollywood to be in the audience of
several live network radio shows.  For me, Keilor's  program
not  only  recreats  the  "sound"  of classic radio, but the
*production* (as seen on TV) was also a good  representation
of "the way it once was", when network radio was at its peak
in the years prior to TV.

Authentic touches:  numerous performers on a large stage  in
front  of  a  big studio audience, many microphones all over
the stage, performers creeping on and off  stage  as  script
timing  permitted,  lighted  "on  air"  signs,  live band on
stage, announcements read from scripts, pre-show  "warm  up"
by M.C., sound effects crew in the corner.

Non-authentic  touches:   elaborate  stage  decorations   (a
1940's  era  studio  had  just  a  formally  draped  stage),
multiple banners raised and lowered onto stage (an "old time
show"  probably  would have had just one fixed banner on the
rear curtain), spotlights.

Missing:  control booth with glass front  window,  uniformed
ushers.

There once was an aura to network radio, in the  days  prior
to  the  invasion  of the boob tube.  That aura still lives,
every Saturday, thanks in part to the genius of GK.   Seeing
an   authentic  live,  network  radio  production,  however,
provided a touch of history which I, for one, never expected
to have the privilege of enjoying again.  I don't know for a
fact, but I strongly suspect that GK strives for  historical
accuracy  in  the show's stage production, as well as in the
programming.

Numerous tapes of the TV program must now exist.  Those  who
missed the TV program would do well to seek out and borrow a
copy.  And those who were born too late can now see (as well
as hear) what radio was, in the days when the "magic talking
box" was king.

			Gordon Schlesinger
			UC San Diego Chemistry Dept.

"Anything worth measuring....is worth measuring poorly"

mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (05/02/86)

In article <200@sdchema.sdchem.UUCP> lbv@sdchem.UUCP (Gordon Schlesinger) writes:

>The April 26 telecast of APHC was not only ripping good fun,
>but  also  a  chance  to see the past come alive.  Much more
>than just providing an  opportunity  to  see  what  everyone
>"looks  like",  the  show  provided an accurate feel for the
>stage production of  "big time network radio shows" as  they
>once occurred in this country.
>

>Authentic touches:  numerous performers on a large stage  in
>
>Non-authentic  touches:   elaborate  stage  decorations   (a
>1940's  era  studio  had  just  a  formally  draped  stage),
>multiple banners raised and lowered onto stage (an "old time
>show"  probably  would have had just one fixed banner on the
>rear curtain), spotlights.

	I'm not really sure what to make of this. There really was no
attempt to make the show an "authentic" reproduction of 1940's type
radio shows. The telecast was simply coverage of what goes on all the
time during the shows - it's just that this time there were TV cameras
present. You have to remember that APHC is not just a *radio* show,
there is also a sold-out live audience there. The stage decorations
and all were not there specially for this show, they're always there.

	As for the "large stage", I went to the newly renovated World
Theater last night to see Doc Watson, and I have to report that the
theater looked *much* bigger on TV. In person, it's very cozy, and very
nice. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Great place.

>Missing:  control booth with glass front  window,  uniformed
>ushers.

	There is indeed a control booth with a glass front window in
the theater. And the ushers at last night's Doc Watson concert didn't
have what I suspect you're thinking of as "uniforms", but they were
all dressed in dark blue.

>I don't know for a
>fact, but I strongly suspect that GK strives for  historical
>accuracy  in  the show's stage production, as well as in the
>programming.

	Historical accuracy? I dunno, I just think he's puttingon an
radio show just like any other radio show. I suspect that things are
done the way they are because that's the best way to do them, not
because of any "historical" considerations.

	I thought the show was great, and I would love to see it regularly
telecast, as long as they didn't change it for TV (showing clips of
Lake Wobegon - part of the charm is remebering Lake Wobegon in terms of
personal small town experiences and imagination). If they did it as they
did for this special, it would be wonderful. I felt like I was in the
audience of a regular show, and being in the audience is unfortunately
limited to those with the proximity and luck to be there. Through TV
many more people were able to see the stage show.

>			Gordon Schlesinger
>"Anything worth measuring....is worth measuring poorly"

	--MKR
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (05/09/86)

> 	I thought the show was great, and I would love to see it regularly
> telecast, as long as they didn't change it for TV. . .

Indeed.  My nightmare is to tune in sometime and hear:

	GK:	"It was a quiet week in Lake Wobegon. . ."
	BT:	"How--how *quiet* was it? (CHORTLE)"
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado		ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX, Elsie & Ado are Digital, Borden & Shakespeare trademarks.

lbv@sdchem.UUCP (05/14/86)

>	I'm not really sure what to make of this. There really was no
>attempt to make the show an "authentic" reproduction of 1940's type
>radio shows. The telecast was simply coverage of what goes on all the
>time during the shows - it's just that this time there were TV cameras
>present. You have to remember that APHC is not just a *radio* show,
>there is also a sold-out live audience there. The stage decorations
>and all were not there specially for this show, they're always there.

I have to take gentle exception to these statements.  Exactly as
for APHC, the early network radio programs also played to
"sold-out live audiences".  Minor differences, however, would have
been that the audiences then probably were larger than that which
the World can hold, and often tickets for the network shows were
distributed free of charge---one just had to write to the network
sufficiently in advance to get them.

>>I don't know for a
>>fact, but I strongly suspect that GK strives for  historical
>>accuracy  in  the show's stage production, as well as in the
>>programming.
>
>	Historical accuracy? I dunno, I just think he's puttingon an
>radio show just like any other radio show. I suspect that things are
>done the way they are because that's the best way to do them, not
>because of any "historical" considerations.

Ah, but this neatly misses once of the central appeals of GK's
charm.  Being over 40 years of age, GK would easily remember
radio broadcasting at its zenith.  Granted that few (if any)
network radio shows originated in those days from the Twin Cities,
still he would have listened to them avidly (I suspect), and might
even have been in the audience for some local broadcasts.  Radio
broadcasting *must* have had a powerful influence on the young GK.

This is further supported in his writings.  There is the beautiful
story in his book "Happy to Be Here" about the (fictional) station
WLT and its history in the Twin Cities.  GK has also spoken about
his impressions of a visit to the Grand Ole Oprey, after having
listened to it (and other notable programs) since childhood.  And,
of course, there are the countless weekly sketches (and parodies)
on APHC about fictional programs and announcers of past years.  Not
to leave out his song, "The Family Radio", etc. etc.
All, of course, the mark of a man who knows radio history.

I strongly believe that GK does not do radio by default, but because
he remembers what it once was and what it could do, and has an
abiding affection for it.  (As do I).

Finally, concerning the comment about things (at APHC) being done the way
they are because that's "the best way to do them":  not at all.  The
current "best way" to do radio is to tape in a private studio, and
then apply heavy post-production editing to the result well before
air time.  People who do live network broadcasting, in front of
studio audiences, are either masochists or they truly love their medium.

					Gordon Schlesinger
					U.C. San Diego Chemistry

>	--MKR
>"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

"Everything to excess....moderation is for monks"
			 ---Lazarus Long

jablow@brahms.UUCP (05/15/86)

I believe I read in the New York Times that some stage decorations were
added for the TV show, and that they usually use only a black curtain
and some chairs.  I enjoyed the show greatly, though he's putting less
emphasis on the Powdermilk Biscuit commercials than I would like.

We should also remember that GK has spoken of *acting* in radio dramas
in his News from Lake Wobegon monologues, including one great day when
his character in a soap opera was killed off in a hospital scene, but
the episode ran short and he had to draw out the dying scene for an
extra five minutes.  I think he also referred to the popular Minnesota
radio show *Iron Range*, a show about lust and passion among the rich
and famous that time--did that show *really* exist?  We'll need to look
up one of the articles on his life to find out.

I agree; I don't think the show could survive being jazzed up, edited,
or made Hollywoodish.  But I think there is one person who could make a
film or TV show about Lake Wobegon: Jean Shepherd.

			Respectfully,
			Eric Robert Jablow
			MSRI
			ucbvax!brahms!jablow