[net.wobegon] 95 Theses 95

pds@tove.UUCP (Dave Stotts) (07/28/86)

    Having just finished reading "Lake Wobegon Days," I have an
observation that I want to toss out for corroboration or denial.
In general, I found the book to be enjoyable reading, often
hillarious, but just not quite the same as the man himself
delivering a monologue.  Most of the stories were light-hearted,
some semi-serious, approaching poignant.  BUT, the 95 Theses 95
which appeared in a (longest I ever seen) footnote near the end
bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
very sarchastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with
the rest of G.K.'s writing and monologue.  I don't think I had
ever heard him do more than poke some fun at his upbringing,
but here it seems that a lot more is boiling to the surface.

What say you shy persons?

Dave Stotts
Univ. of Maryland Computer Science

olaf@ihwpt.UUCP (olaf henjum) (07/29/86)

> ... the 95 Theses 95
> which appeared in a (longest I ever seen) footnote near the end
> bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
> very sarcastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with
> the rest of G.K.'s writing and monologue.  I don't think I had
> ever heard him do more than poke some fun at his upbringing,
> but here it seems that a lot more is boiling to the surface.

I agree with your analysis; in this particular passage, I see something
I have long suspected, that much of what we call humor starts as an
attempt to mask or deal with pain, and that G.K. is no exception.
I tend to believe that the "very young man" who wrote "95 Theses"
"so many years ago" was actually Garrison Keillor himself as
a very young man, and that this passage is included in "Lake Wobegon Days"
for a variety of reasons that Keillor himself may or may not be
fully conscious of; it could be something as simple and indirect
as "look how far I've come from what I used to be."  But whatever the
original motives, the strong undertone of rebellion and even
self-hatred that appears in that passage IS VERY MUCH UNLIKE anything
I've ever seen him put into words before.

I'm not sure whether anything like that "belongs" in the book or
not, but I do know from my own life that parts of it sounded VERY familiar,
a little look at "the dark side" of growing up in Lake Wobegon.
The self-repression and unusual desire for "security" that he so
often makes gentle fun of is nevertheless very, very real, and
trying to break out of that cultural/genetic (I've never been sure
which one it is :-)) mold, as a teenager, can be a traumatic experience
for everybody concerned, especially if the teenager is (as G.K. almost
certainly was) of an unusually sensitive, insightful, and even
romantic bent.

You may recall that Mark Twain had a similar capacity to switch from
poignant humor to biting sarcasm at the drop of a hat, and sometimes
did both at once (Huck Finn's moral turmoil over whether or not he
should turn in the runaway slave Jim comes to mind; if you'll
forgive the expression, all of the (moral) blacks are whites and
vice versa, which is made abundantly clear to the reader but not to
the character.)

:-) But armchair psychoanalysis is not exactly my specialty, and in any
event G.K. is only human; why should he ALWAYS be consistent??? :-)
--
ucbvax ___ ihnp4!ihesa!olaf       -- Olaf I. Henjum
seismo _/! "Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any

louns@uw-june.UUCP (07/29/86)

In article <397@tove.UUCP>, pds@tove.UUCP (Dave Stotts) writes:

> ....  BUT, the 95 Theses 95
> which appeared in a (longest I ever seen) footnote near the end
> bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
> very sarchastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with
> the rest of G.K.'s writing and monologue.  I don't think I had
> ever heard him do more than poke some fun at his upbringing,
> but here it seems that a lot more is boiling to the surface.
>
> What say you shy persons?
>
> Dave Stotts
> Univ. of Maryland Computer Science

My impression of 95 Theses 95 was that Garrison was trying to provide a
balanced outlook of what it is like to live in a small town.  Not everyone
enjoys it and live only for the 4th of July picnics -- a lot really get tired
of the town's smallness.  Garrison encompasses so much in his book.  It's not
just cheery, quaint, nostalgic reminiscences.  I think I heard him mention in
an interview that he was puzzled by reviewers of his book who called it only
a book of fond memoirs.  It's a lot more than that -- it portrays all facets
of small town life.
					Michael

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (07/30/86)

I like GK and Lake Woebegon Days very much.  One of the
highlights of the book was the 95 theses.  Many of the
problems he raises I felt I had faced, altho' I was raised
Presbyterian and in Maryland, no where near Lutheran
Minnesota.  The tone of these theses is different, but so
what.  Being shy or self-effacing doesn't mean you can't be
pissed off.  It just means you can't be upfront about it.

--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (08/02/86)

I think Keillor's attitude toward the place of his upbringing is often
ambiguous.  Don't you remember his monologue about the boy who decided
to join the Navy instead of marrying his girlfriend and staying in Lake
Wobegon to become a farmer like his dad?  Or the anecdote in DAYS about
the trip to Phil's House of Good Food in St. Cloud one Sunday afternoon
when there wasn't enough time between Bible study and the worship time
in the evening to drive back to Lake Wobegon for dinner?  Or the
monologue about the trunk which contained all the last possessions of a
man who had passed away, a man who had ditched his wife and children in
Lake Wobegon and married another woman, settling in the state of
Washington?  To this day the 'trunk' story is probably my all-time
favorite monologue...

While there is clearly some parody in the '95 Theses', I think the
piece is serious in intent; it is portraying the negative side of the
comment which comes at its end: 'Your voice is in my head, talking
constantly from morning till night.'  This voice is what makes
Keillor's stories sound so authentic, what gives them their unique
flavor, their rich homey character, but it is not the voice of
nostalgia.  Keillor knows better.

I musta had too many Powdermilk Biscuits for dinner,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

debbie@uwmeecs.UUCP (Debra L. Wolden) (08/03/86)

i also liked 95 theses 95.  mr keillor's great talent is touching things
down inside us, and not all of those things are pleasant.  granted he
usually touches a bit more gently.  perhaps he felt that some people need
a bit more bluntness or the unpleasantess goes right over their heads.
then again maybe he was just in a bad mood.
i thought the beginning of the book was rather dull, but it was good once
it picked up.  95 theses 95 was one of the few parts i felt was so good
that i was compelled to read it to a friend.

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (08/05/86)

Written 10:30 am  Jul 28, 1986 by pds@tove.UUCP:
>     Having just finished reading "Lake Wobegon Days," I have an
> observation that I want to toss out for corroboration or denial.
> In general, I found the book to be enjoyable reading, often
> hillarious, but just not quite the same as the man himself
> delivering a monologue.  Most of the stories were light-hearted,
> some semi-serious, approaching poignant.  BUT, the 95 Theses 95
> which appeared in a (longest I ever seen) footnote near the end
> bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
> very sarchastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with
> the rest of G.K.'s writing and monologue.  I don't think I had
> ever heard him do more than poke some fun at his upbringing,
> but here it seems that a lot more is boiling to the surface.
>
> What say you shy persons?

Your question sparks a couple of comments.  Yes, the theses are angry,
but there have been several of his monologues in which characters express
the same kind of anger--teenagers wanting to go out on their own, spouses
getting fed up with one another, and neighbors acting less than neighborly.
I think that G.K. mentioned something about the book presenting the town
and its residents "warts and all", and I think that the theses are an example
of that.  Undoubtedly they echo some of Keillor's own feelings about growing
up in such circumstances, or else they would not be as effective as they are.

Personally, I thought the theses did a lot to give the book some emotional
depth.  I mean, hey, I loved my childhood, but it wasn't all wall-to-wall
laughs.  In fact, one of my favorite passages from the book is from the theses:

    "Under this thin veneer of modesty lies a monster of greed.  I drive
     away faint praise, beating my little chest, waiting to be named Sun-God,
     King of America, Idol of Millions, Bringer of Fire, The Great Haji,
     Thun-Dar The Boy Giant.  I don't want to say, 'Thanks, glad you liked it.'
     I want to say, 'Rise, my people.  Remove your faces from the carpet,
     stand, look me in the face.'"

There are plenty of others, but I'm not gonna quote them here.  Anyway, I think
the "95 Theses 95" were more than appropriate--they are one of the best parts
of the book.

                                     Hal Render
                                     render@b.cs.uiuc.edu  (ARPA)
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     (CSNET)
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4}!uiucdcs!render  (USENET)

sdh@inuxm.UUCP (Stephen Hoskins) (08/08/86)

>     Having just finished reading "Lake Wobegon Days," I have an
> observation that I want to toss out for corroboration or denial.
> In general, I found the book to be enjoyable reading, often
> hillarious, but just not quite the same as the man himself
> delivering a monologue.  Most of the stories were light-hearted,
> some semi-serious, approaching poignant.  BUT, the 95 Theses 95
> which appeared in a (longest I ever seen) footnote near the end
> bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
> very sarchastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with
> the rest of G.K.'s writing and monologue.  I don't think I had
> ever heard him do more than poke some fun at his upbringing,
> but here it seems that a lot more is boiling to the surface.
>
> What say you shy persons?
>
> Dave Stotts
> Univ. of Maryland Computer Science

I just read "Lake Wobegon Days" while on vacation.  I loved it!!!
I agree, not as good as the radio programs, but I got around that
by trying to imagine how he would read each story.  His delivery
really is an important part of his appeal.

The 20-page footnote about the 95 theses did seem more like serious
criticism than good natured fun poking.  They are very real, though.
Between my wife and me, we could identify people with most of the
bad traits he criticized.  But, some were quite humorous besides
being scalding rebukes.  Like the one about vacuuming (let me
paraphrase):

Nothing I ever did was good enough for you.
When you watched me do the vacuuming, suddenly it became an
exact science, a branch of physics.  It had to be done just so.
"Here, let me do it.  I should have just done it myself."

Having finished LWD, I've now started "Happy to Be Here."
It's starting out to be quite a different style of book, so
"I just don't know ..."

Stephen Hoskins

max@omepd (Max Webb) (08/15/86)

In article <> pds@tove.UUCP (Dave Stotts) writes:
>bothered me tremendously.  They were almost venomous in tone, and
>very sarchastic in places.  I thought they were out of style with

Do you remember seeing Garrison on David Letterman a while back?
With his presentation style on the radio he sounds so gentle and benign.
I remember being shocked by the side of him i saw (-- but then DL brings
out the animal in everybody :-).

I never lived in a small town. Those of who didn't, after listening
to him, wish they had; at least that is part of the attraction for me.

Max.