[net.wobegon] New PHC fan on the net

car@lcuxlm.UUCP (Rath Christopher A) (10/10/86)

I am a new user of newsnet and a former Minnesotan.  I am
appalled to hear that net.wobegon is being dropped.  PHC
is my only connection to that fair state and I love to
hear from fellow admirers.  Can't we keep it going?

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (10/12/86)

In article <982@lcuxlm.UUCP>, car@lcuxlm.UUCP (Rath Christopher A) writes:
> I am a new user of newsnet and a former Minnesotan.  I am
> appalled to hear that net.wobegon is being dropped.  PHC
> is my only connection to that fair state and I love to
> hear from fellow admirers.  Can't we keep it going?

I am from South Dakota.  I guess, since I was able to post to this group
that I need more shy lessions from all you True Minnesotan's.  I have just
completed the first lession from the Minnesota Language Systems.  I have
just learned to say "Yabut..." and am waiting for the next installment.
--
From the manic ravings of J.R. (May the farce be with you) Stoner

[I hope the reorganization leaves net.wobegon alone - I would have to give
up trying to be shy :-]

car@lcuxlm.UUCP (Rath Christopher A) (10/14/86)

> In article <982@lcuxlm.UUCP>, car@lcuxlm.UUCP (Rath Christopher A) writes:
> > I am a new user of newsnet and a former Minnesotan.  I am
> > appalled to hear that net.wobegon is being dropped.  PHC
> > is my only connection to that fair state and I love to
> > hear from fellow admirers.  Can't we keep it going?
>
> I am from South Dakota.  I guess, since I was able to post to this group
> that I need more shy lessions from all you True Minnesotan's.  I have just
> completed the first lession from the Minnesota Language Systems.  I have
> just learned to say "Yabut..." and am waiting for the next installment.
> --
> From the manic ravings of J.R. (May the farce be with you) Stoner
>
> [I hope the reorganization leaves net.wobegon alone - I would have to give
> up trying to be shy :-]

A more important lesson, which you probably have learned vicariously
from GK himself is the "You bet" lesson.  Make sure you answer all
questions with this little quip and you will really be a Minnesotan.
It also helps shy people because it is only two little words.

Christopher Rath
"Have you eaten in a Minnesota Church Basement establishment yet?"

greg@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Greg Hager) (10/15/86)

We've seen a South Dakotan and a Minnesotan ...

I'm a relocated (rural) Iowan (I can't bring myself to say *former*) living
in the East now for a few years.  Just to draw a few more shy persons into
the open I'll mention some of my experiences from relocating outside the
midwest.

I think if I had listened to Garrison before I left, I would have found PHC
funny and amusing, but not on the same level.  The thing about PHC is that
you have to have been outside looking in before you can really appreciate
that fact that "learning to speak Minnesotan" is not really that far off.
From the midwesterners' point of view, PHC is funny because its satirizing
their culture; and from the "outsiders'" point of view, its funny because
its different from their experience.  For myself, I've noticed that, after a
couple years out here, I have to *conciously* switch language and customs
when I go back.  Garrison and company, it seems to me, understand that
dichotomy and play on it.  I didn't (couldn't) appreciate their show in the
same way before I had both experiences.

Well, I've used up all my "Raw Bits".  I'll let someone else take over.

_________
Seems that threatening to remove net.wobegon is the "Raw Bits"
that gives shy net readers the strength to log in and do what needs to be
done.
_________