[net.wobegon] Life on the net

eh0j@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Erik Hare) (11/08/86)

Now, if this here net still really exists, maybe we could get GK hisself to
give a little spiel.  I'm sure he'd be right tickled to hear that a
buncha hackers actually united themselves to form a discussion group
to talk about PHC rather than the usual mindless ramblings on the net.
Matter of fact, I'm right sure we could get him to read on the air:

"And to all you shy folk out there over net.wobegon, don't despair, 'cause
 wherever there's UUCP, there's a little Lake Wobegon hidin' down in the CPU."

Or some such.  Anyone know the address?

PS -- Real men eat RAW BITS with a Wendy's for breakfast.

karl@haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) (11/12/86)

In article <BMS.531815602.eh0j@andrew.cmu.edu> eh0j@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Erik Hare) writes:
>Now, if this here net still really exists, maybe we could get GK hisself to
>give a little spiel.  I'm sure he'd be right tickled to hear [about us].
>Matter of fact, I'm right sure we could get him to read on the air:

Probably not too hard.  Does he read every birthday/etc greeting he gets?  If
not, what fraction?  (He probably favors the cute ones -- what could we ask
him to say that wouldn't be over the rest of the audience's collective head?)

"Hello to all my friends on the electronic news network, the new name is
rec dot arts dot wobegon, I know you were too shy to ask."

Work on it.  (Plenty of room for a Raw Bits pun here.)

There was a big meeting in net.news.group.  Mark Horton stood up, looking
quite uncomfortable, and announced that net.wobegon would be merged into
rec.arts.misc.  Rec.arts.misc!  Why, the people in rec.arts.misc couldn't
guess which way the elevator was going if you gave them three guesses...
They make shish kabobs by shooting an arrow through a garbage can...