[net.wobegon] Tuning Table for PHC

mdolin@nugipsy.UUCP (Mike Dolin) (10/30/86)

I'm compiling a table for shy people of stations in various cities
that carry PHC.  Do you think the net.Shy.People can come up with all
the stations, times and cities faster than we could get the info from
GK or Public Radio?

Come on all you shy people, I know you're out there.  Just add your
station to the table and either post it to the net or e-mail to me.
If you post to the net, BTW, the folks who think net.wobegon is too thin
will see just how many of us there really are.

Which stations carry APHC?   And how's this for a layout, SP?

--------------------------CUT  HERE----------------------------

                     PHC Tuning Chart
 How about--->     APHC Listening Chart
    or
Add your own------>  ___________________

   FM           Station          City          Time of PHC
Frequency      Identifier                        Broadcast
                                               (Rebroadcast)
_________      __________       _____________    _____________

90.7            WXEL             West Palm        6-8 pm Sat.
                                 Beach, Fl       (Will find out
                                                   by Monday)

93.1            WLRN             Miami, Fl        6-8 pm Sat.

91.5            KUSC             Los Angeles      6-8 pm Sat.
                                                 (1-3 pm Sun.)

--------------------------CUT  HERE----------------------------

Important comments not necessarily having to do with APHC.

1)  Why is there no station in Washington, DC that carries AM
    Weather?  If there is, it's not mentioned in the Washington
    Post.

2)  The mention of KUSC, Los Angeles, reminded me of the radio play
    "Star Wars" staring Luke Skywalker (What's 'is real name?) himself.

    I have all the episodes of the 13 part series of Star Wars on
    cassette.  There was also a radio play of "The Empire Strikes
    Back".  Does anyone out there have it recorded?

Standard disclaimer applies.
Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, some assembly required.

This program is for planning purposed only, be sure to get a formal
preflight briefing before you take to the skies.

You must purchase your ticket 30 days in advance and stay for no
less than 15 days and travel between weekends, Tuesdays excluded.

No refund without a receipt.

Mike Dolin

Gould Computer Systems Division
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
.....!{brl-bmd,pur-ee,sun}!gould!mdolin

iadt3tb@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks) (11/04/86)

Add Atlanta, Ga. to the list.

--------------------------CUT  HERE----------------------------

                     PHC Tuning Chart
 How about--->     APHC Listening Chart
    or
Add your own------>  ___________________

   FM           Station          City          Time of PHC
Frequency      Identifier                        Broadcast
                                               (Rebroadcast)
_________      __________       _____________    _____________

90.1            WABE             Atlanta, Ga.     6-8 PM Sat.
                                                    none

90.7            WXEL             West Palm        6-8 pm Sat.
                                 Beach, Fl       (Will find out
                                                   by Monday)

93.1            WLRN             Miami, Fl        6-8 pm Sat.

91.5            KUSC             Los Angeles      6-8 pm Sat.
                                                 (1-3 pm Sun.)

--------------------------CUT  HERE----------------------------

dbs9765@ritcv.UUCP (John T. Sanders) (11/04/86)

I've got Empire on tape...and a dubbing deck. Wanta trade?

				Jack Sanders

tra4@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jonathan H. Traum) (11/11/86)

Correction: If you tune in 93.1 in Miami, you'll get classical music station
WTMI. The correct frequency for WLRN is 91.3. By the way, has anybody noticed
that public radio stations always seem to be around 90 or 91 MHz? My own
experience in Miami, New York, Orlando, Chicago, LA, etc. have shown this, as
do the stations shown on the tuning table posted earlier. Whenever I am in a
city where I have never been before, I always tune in that area and always
manage to find a public radio station. If this is completely true, it makes the
tuning table unnecessary. Does anyone know a reason for this? Is it cheaper to
broadcast in that frequency range, or is there an FCC regulation?
						Jonathan Traum

ericf@rsch.WISC.EDU (Eric Feigenson) (11/12/86)

A couple of things:

First, in Madison, Wisconsin, one can hear APHC on Saturdays at 5pm on
WERN 88.9FM.  In fact, you can hear it on just about any Wisconsin Public
Radio station in the state at that time.  If you miss it on Saturday, you
can hear it on Sunday at 1pm (approx... I'm not positive) on WHA 970AM.

Second, yes, the FCC has reserved all FM frequencies between 88 and 90Mhz for
use by public/community radio stations.  It does make it nice when travelling,
since you can find a public (if not NPR) station with relative ease.

					-Eric Feigenson
					ericf@wisc.rsch.edu

hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (11/20/86)

In article <800@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> tra4@sphinx.UUCP (Jonathan Traum) writes:
>By the way, has anybody noticed
>that public radio stations always seem to be around 90 or 91 MHz? My own
>experience in Miami, New York, Orlando, Chicago, LA, etc. have shown this, as
>do the stations shown on the tuning table posted earlier. Whenever I am in a
>city where I have never been before, I always tune in that area and always
>manage to find a public radio station. If this is completely true, it makes the
>tuning table unnecessary. Does anyone know a reason for this? Is it cheaper to
>broadcast in that frequency range, or is there an FCC regulation?

The FCC reserves a small band (from 88 to 92MHz, I *think*) for non-commercial
stations.  This is not a hard and fast rule:  Older stations which were
already operating in this band when the rule was passed (in the late sixties,
I believe) were allowed to continue, and I think that if a commercial station
acquires a non-commercial station, it may continue to use the frequency.
The rule only works one way: non-commercial stations may use any bandwidth
which they are able to obtain.  Some of this is explained in Lorenzo Milam's
wonderful, hard-to-find book, "Sex & Broadcasting," about how to organize
and operate a non-commercial radio station, and how to harass your commercial
competitors.

--
 Richard Hoffman | "They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care,
 Schlumberger WS | They pursued it with forks and hope;