[net.physics] paradoxical twins

trc (09/16/82)

Now that simultaneity has been settled (I hope) how about the good old
twins paradox?

My question here is, if both frames of reference are equally good,
then why should one twin age differently than the other?  In fact,
it would seem to me to be reasonable to argue that, there is in fact
a prefered (stationary) frame of reference, but that the only way to
detect the difference is to check the relative time dilation effects
between two frames.

I have heard it argued that the difference is that one undergoes
acceleration and the other doesnt, and that this somehow explains
the effect.  However, the difference in ages doesnt occur during
the acceleration, for the most part, but rather during the long
period of free fall.

Suppose one ship starts out, and stops at some distance away.
Then it, and another ship from earth take off and meet at the center.
The later ship stops, and accelerates back to earth.  (It has gone a
bit past center, so that it can accelerate to match the other ship's
velocity at exactly the center.) Now both ships have undergone the
exact same accelerations, but the first to leave will be carrying a
much younger twin.

Another interesting effect, not necessarily related, is that a spaceship
that travels away from one and near SOL velocities (NSOLV)
and then turns and comes back, will appear to have taken longer
to go away than to get back - that is, the information it radios
back will be compressed relative to the information it sent on
the way out.  Thus, events will appear slowed on the way out,
and actually faster on the way back.    (Time dilation would still
apply, but it would be modified by this effect.)

Couldnt it be argued that this is in fact a real effect, and that
time dilation is dependent upon direction of velocitiy?

				Tom Craver
				houti!trc

JGA@MIT-MC@sri-unix (09/16/82)

From: John G. Aspinall <JGA at MIT-MC>
    Date: 15 Sep 82 19:28:39-PDT (Wed)
    From: harpo!ihps3!houxi!deimos!ariel!houti!trc at Ucb-C70
    Via:  Usenet; 16 Sep 82 4:08-PDT

    Now that simultaneity has been settled (I hope) how about the good old
    twins paradox?

    My question here is, if both frames of reference are equally good,
    then why should one twin age differently than the other?  In fact,
    it would seem to me to be reasonable to argue that, there is in fact
    a prefered (stationary) frame of reference, but that the only way to
    detect the difference is to check the relative time dilation effects
    between two frames.

    I have heard it argued that the difference is that one undergoes
    acceleration and the other doesnt, and that this somehow explains
    the effect.  However, the difference in ages doesnt occur during
    the acceleration, for the most part, but rather during the long
    period of free fall.

Sigh.  You have just invoked simultaneity again.  That is, you have compared
their ages ("at the same time") when they're in different inertial frames.

The "stay-at-home" twin stays in one inertial frame, the
"rocket-traveller" twin switches from one inertial frame to another.

I hate to end this here, but a good explanation would take more time
and effort than I have available.  I highly recommend French's explanation
in "Special Relativity" (Norton, MIT Introductory Physics Series, 1968)
on pages 154-159.  He makes the asymmetry between the twins clear, and also
shows that special relativity is adequate for handling the problem.

John Aspinall.

smb (09/16/82)

A comment to knowledgeable people on this newsgroup:  most of us who ask
apparently dumb questions aren't trying to deny or contradict relativity;
we're trying to understand it.  I can read a book on the subject and
follow its examples -- but if I see a new "paradox" posed, I'm quite likely
to be confused.  Two sentences and a good reference may be all that's
called for; I (at least) thank y'all for such answers.

		--Steve Bellovin

gwyn@BRL@sri-unix (09/17/82)

From:     Doug Gwyn <gwyn@BRL>
In all discussions like this, it is important to specify carefully
just what is measured and how.  A diagram often helps, if you don't
take any distances on it as "absolute".

Acceleration is not relevant.  The twins paradox can be demonstrated
by using three reference frames, one "stationary" (earth-bound) and
two moving in opposite directions with the same speed with respect
to the "stationary" frame.  Then you can (1) transfer your attention
from the earth-bound frame to an "outward-moving" one, (2) after a
suitable interval transfer your attention to an "inward-moving" frame,
and finally (3) transfer your attention to the starting point when it
arrives.  This thought-experiment is equivalent to the space-flying
twin's itinerary, but all accelerations have been removed so that
any time-dilation cannot be ascribed to an object being affected by
pseudo-gravity forces or whatever.

The key to the paradox when cast in this form is the availability of
suitable "universal" time references in each frame; e.g. use a maser
clock or something similar.  Given such clocks, the time dilation
claimed for the twin paradox does in fact occur in accordance with
special relativity.  Yet none of the clocks ever feels an acceleration.

Special relativity does not answer the question, "Why can't the
earth-bound observer, by symmetry, claim HE is younger than the space
traveler?", except by pointing out that the situation is NOT symmetrical
since by no stretch of the imagination can the space traveler (out and
back) consider that he is constantly in an "inertial frame".  In fact,
a minimum of TWO inertial frames must be used, with a changeover in
point of reference at the turn-around point of the journey.
Accompanying this change of viewpoint, one must also insist that the
REST OF THE UNIVERSE has suddenly started moving differently.
Quite apart from questions of Mach's principle in General Relativity,
the introduction of an "outside force" acting on the space traveler
to turn him around (or, equivalently, to give the rest of the universe
a shove) violates symmetry in a fundamental way.

The detailed treatment of the problem necessarily involves agents and
effects outside the province of Special Relativity.  However, the
conventional analysis from the viewpoint of the earth-bound frame
fits within the theory's constraints and is therefore accurate.

gwyn@BRL@sri-unix (09/17/82)

From:     Doug Gwyn <gwyn@BRL>
Hope you liked my long explanation of the twins paradox.

There is a fundamental problem with trying to "understand" relativity
to the extent that things like the twins paradox seem obvious --
This paradox, and many other points, cannot be completely understood
within ANY known conceptual scheme.  In fact this is why Einstein kept
on going, on to General Relativity, then Unified Field Theory.
He saw very deeply into the situation and realized that many such
questions could only be satisfactorily answered when global considerations
were properly dealt with.  Such things as asymptotic degrees of freedom
of fields and boundary value determination are crucial to a complete
comprehensive relativistic physics.

This means you are right to feel that there is something hard to grasp
about the twins paradox!