[net.physics] more tesla

harkins (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 09:45:48 EDT

norskog is right; edison was big on dc, while tesla figured out how (and
why) to make electrons do their thing with ac; Westinghouse wound up buying
up all the tesla patents early on and tesla died practically broke, and,
ironically, pretty much forgotten in comparison with edison.  ernie harkins

jj (05/12/83)

	I haven't noticed anyone discussing the contributions of
Steinmetz in these ramblings on AC vs DC.  I seem to remember that
Steinmetz was the person who had most of his inventions bought out
by Westinghouse (or at least one of the persons).  I also seem to
remember that he was the one who finally explained how to build an
AC motor with acceptable performance, after describing some of the
loss mechanisms that take place only with AC.
	How about it?  Has anyone else even heard of
Steinmetz??

mmt (05/18/83)

In England, Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti had a big battle with Edison
as to whether AC or DC should be used for public power distribution.
Edison wanted DC. Ferranti built an AC power station
and demonstrated its feasibility. On this basis
was built the Ferranti company which was one of the larger and more forward
looking English electronics firms until recently. (The UK Government recently
bought out the Ferranti family ownership and installed a "conservative"
manager in place of the innovation-inclined family management).