[net.physics] Question about Gyroscopes

jack@rlgvax.UUCP (05/27/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site rlgvax.UUCP
Date:Fri, 27-May-83 11:55:06 EDT
Organization:RLG Corp., Reston, VA

To negotiate a curve on a motorcycle at high speed, I put the
machine into a lean (mostly by countersteering), ride through
the curve, then straighten the  bike  up  by  countersteering
again.  While turning or while going straight, the motorcycle
seems quite stable -- it wants to keep following  a  path  of
the  same  curvature  and  keep  its  same  lean  angle until
manhandled into a different lean angle.

My questions are about the role of gyroscopic effects of  the
REAR wheel in the kind of stability I just described.

Do they have such a role?  To change the lean angle, must the
frame exert torque on the rear axle?  If so and the torque is
not  at  right  angles to the rotation of change of lean, the
frame is doing work on the axle.  In that  case,  where  does
the energy go?