[net.physics] Evidence for the soul?!?

tynor@uiucuxc.UUCP (01/07/84)

#N:uiucuxc:19400006:000:557
uiucuxc!tynor    Jan  6 12:06:00 1984

I know this sounds silly, but a friend insists that she read "somewhere"
that "reliable" experiments have been done to show that the body unaccountably
loses weight when it dies.  She seemed to think that this might be
evidence for the existance of the 'soul'.

Has anyone ever heard anything about this.
Is it possible that she got this anywhere but from the National
Enquirer?  She claims that it was Science, or Nature, or some such journal!
Where is she reading this hogwash?

         It's hard to be objective sometimes,

         Steve

rao@utcsstat.UUCP (Eli Posner) (01/09/84)

I always thought a dead corpse weighs MORE .

palmer@uw-june (David Palmer) (01/09/84)

<>
    [From Steve Tynor]
    I know this sounds silly, but a friend insists that she read "somewhere"
    that "reliable" experiments have been done to show that the body unaccountably
    loses weight when it dies.  She seemed to think that this might be
    evidence for the existance of the 'soul'.

In the back of each issue of the journal NewScientist (a well respected
weekly science news magazine) there is a column called "Ariadne", a
humorous column written by someone named David Jones.  Usually, it has
a description of a new invention designed by his mythical friend
"Daedalus".  These inventions (none of which are meant seriously) start
from established scientific principles, and become bizarre.

One of these inventions centered on the problems of detecting the soul,
on entry or egress from the body.  Daedalus did calculations which show
that in order to encode a unique identity, you need a particle in with
a mass-energy in the UV range.  He suggested that photodetectors be
placed in bordellos and terminal wards of hospitals to detect the
emission and absorption of such particles.

He also mentions a third-hand anecdotal report of a weight loss, (I
think it was aproximately 3 grams) of a dying person.

I do not know when this column ran, but it is included in the highly
recommended book "The Inventions Of Daedalus, a compendium of plausible
schemes".  I don't know the publisher (I do not have my copy with me),
but it is well worth the ~$10 price.

                        David Palmer

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (01/10/84)

Oh.  Now that poses an interesting question: does a dead corpse weigh
more than a live one????

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/10/84)

I always thought a dead corpse weighs MORE .
===========

Than a live one?
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

JGA%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (01/12/84)

From:  John G. Aspinall <JGA @ MIT-MC>

    Oh.  Now that poses an interesting question: does a dead corpse weigh
    more than a live one????

I never met a live corpse.

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (01/12/84)

uiucuxc!tynor:
	> I know this sounds silly, but a friend insists that she read
	> "somewhere" that "reliable" experiments have been done to show
	> that the body unaccountably loses weight when it dies.  She
	> seemed to think that this might be evidence for the existance
	> of the 'soul'.

*IF* there is indeed a loss in weight after death, it'd more likely be due
to a loss of body moisture than because of any "soul".
--
Saumya Debray
Dept. of Computer Science

		{floyd, bunker, cbosgd, mcvax, cmcl2}!philabs!
							      \
	Usenet:						       sbcs!debray
							      /
		   {allegra, teklabs, hp-pcd, metheus}!ogcvax!
	CSNet: debray@suny-sbcs@CSNet-Relay

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (01/13/84)

Owing to the number of messages I've received on my ealrlier quip:

> Oh. Now that poses and interesting question: does a dead corpse weigh
> more than a live one???

I must once again (sigh) explain myself.  The article was in reply to
Eli Posner's

> I always thought a dead corpse weighs MORE

Some of you apparently failed to see the humor in my followup.  However,
for those of you who've never seen a live corpse, I know several lecturers
who would qualify for the title.

                           Bob Fishell

leei@princeton.UUCP (The Eternal Flame (Lee Iverson)) (01/13/84)

> Does a dead corpse weigh more than a live one?

A simple proof:

	No corpse is a live corpse!
	A dead corpse weighs more than no corpse.

=>      A dead corpse weighs more than a live corpse. :-)

--
"... wiiiiiith a Herring!"
Lee Iverson

2212zap@mhuxm.UUCP (putnins) (01/13/84)

	I have also heard of this sudden weight loss upon death.  One possible
	explanation is the collapse of the lungs upon death, and the associated
	loss of air.  This loss of air could be measurble.

HIsrael.DODCSC%MIT-MULTICS@sri-unix.UUCP (01/13/84)

   I had heard sometime in the past (probably from "Real (Stupid)
People" or "That's Incredible(-ly Dumb)" or maybe even "In Search
of...") that after people die (assuming you define death as the
non-occurence of a heart beat) they *lose* weight.  I recall it was some
fraction of an ounce.  The narrater suggested that the loss of weight be
attributed to the soul leaving the body.

   One possible explanation might be that since the heart stopped
beating all of the muscles relax thereby allowing air to leave the
lungs.  Assuming the way they found out that people lose weight when
they die was by putting the near dead body on a gurney-scale (assuming
one of these things exist) any other muscle relaxation (i.e., solid or
liquid) would not affect the scale.

   Any other thoughts/ideas?

---Howie

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (01/14/84)

 2212zap@mhuxm.UUCP (putnins):

	> I have also heard of this sudden weight loss upon death.
	> One possible 	explanation is the collapse of the lungs upon
	> death, and the associated loss of air.  This loss of air
	> could be measurble.

Not really.  Think of the body as immersed in a fluid (air, in this case).
The weight gained in inhaling a volume V of air would be exactly equal to
the weight loss due to the extra buoyancy because the chest has inflated in
the process of inhalation. (I know that's an oversimplification, but I doubt
this topic needs anything more scholarly!) Conversely, the weight of the air
lost when the lungs collapsed would be compensated for by a loss in
buoyancy, so the resultant weight shouldn't change.

Actually, when I first thought about it I considered the body as a
topological surface: then, the air "inside" the lungs isn't really inside
from a topological point of view.  Which brings me to a more interesting
aside: the human body with the alimentary canal (again, massive
physiological simplifications, but you get the idea!)  can be considered
topologically equivalent to a toroid, which suggests that last night's
dinner isn't really "inside" us!

--

gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (01/16/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

So how do you explain the fact that a toy balloon weighs more when
inflated than when deflated?

Alpern.Ibm-Sj%Rand-Relay@sri-unix.UUCP (01/16/84)

From:  David Alpern <Alpern.Ibm-Sj@Rand-Relay>

     So how do you explain the fact that a toy balloon weighs more when
     inflated than when deflated?

The moisture in the breath used to inflate the balloon is usually much
greater than the relative humidity in the surrounding air.  And since
water is heavier than air...

MJackson.Wbst@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (01/17/84)

Craig is correct:  the balloon is heavier because the air inside is
under pressure.

Doug is wrong:  moist air is LESS dense than dry air.  Ask any pilot
about "density altitude" and how it is affected by humidity.

Mark

gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (01/17/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

Wrong, try inflating the balloon with dry air.  It is still heavier
when inflated.

gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (01/17/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

How could I have been wrong about the relative densities of moist
and dry air when I never mentioned that?

And yes, the correct answer has to do with the air in the balloon
being under pressure.

MJackson.Wbst@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (01/17/84)

OOPS!  I misread the message header in my haste; the moisture -> density
argument was made by David Alpern in a message TO you.

Very sorry.

Mark
-------------------
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 84 12:34:25 PST
From: David Alpern <Alpern.Ibm-Sj@Rand-Relay.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Evidence for the soul?!? - (nf)
To: Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
Cc: physics@Sri-Unix.ARPA
Via:  IBM-SJ; 16 Jan 84 15:44-PST

     So how do you explain the fact that a toy balloon weighs more when
     inflated than when deflated?

The moisture in the breath used to inflate the balloon is usually much
greater than the relative humidity in the surrounding air.  And since
water is heavier than air...

-------------------

BILLW%SRI-KL@sri-unix.UUCP (01/17/84)

Its time for me to put my foot in my mouth again.

I believe you will find that humid air actually ways less that dry
air.  This can be seen by corrolating barometric pressure with
reletive humidity (8th grade earth sciences class), or by comparing
the mass of a water molecule with the mass of an oxygen or nitrogen
molecule.  Of course, human breath probably also contains water
particles, and probably exhibits some condensation as it cools down
to room temperature also...

BillW

jgpo@iwu1c.UUCP (John, KA9MNK) (01/18/84)

     So how do you explain the fact that a toy balloon weighs more when
     inflated than when deflated?

The moisture in the breath used to inflate the balloon is usually much
greater than the relative humidity in the surrounding air.  And since
water is heavier than air...

Actually, water vapor is *lighter* than air.  Air is mostly nitrogen and
oxygen, and H2O has a lower molecular weight than either N2 or O2.

The next time you find yourself in the same room with a flight instructor,
ask him/her about "density altitude."  You'll find that the factors which
influence density altitude are atmospheric pressure (natch), temperature
(obviously the BIGGIE), and (surprise!) humidity.  The more humid, the
less dense the air.

In all probability, loss of air from the lungs accounts for the weight loss
after death.  (The air making up the tidal volume obviously escapes; does
anybody know if any part of the residual volume escapes with the loss of
muscle tone?)

Moisture, as one person suggested, undoubtedly escapes and makes the body
lighter, but this would be a gradual loss.  The weight loss we are trying
to explain is supposedly a *sudden* one.

I'm sure there's nothing metaphysical about it, at all.

	From the filthy, no-good, unAmerican, atheistic keyboard of
	John Opalko
	AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL
	{whatever}!ihnp4!iwu1c!jgpo

PS:
The reason an inflated balloon weighs more than a flat one is the air
inside a balloon is *under pressure.*  It contains more molecules per
unit volume than the atmosphere surrounding the balloon.  Thus, it weighs
more than the volume of the air it displaces.  (Granted, that buoyancy
makes that balloon weigh less in a room full of air than it would weigh
in a vacuum.)

bennety@tektronix.UUCP (Bennet Yee) (02/02/84)

Orig. Q:	Why inflated balloon is heavier than deflated one
Someone's A:	Humidity of breath....

To nitpick:  gas within a balloon is under pressure.  Ergo denser.
Don't know about relative density of air & water vapor....

-bsy	...tektronix!bennety