[net.physics] The Mississippi Perpetual Motion Machine

JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA (02/08/84)

From:  JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Newman's Impossible Motor
 [a condensation of the article in Science, 10 Feb 84, v223#4636]

The story is about Joseph Wesley Newman, the inventor who claims to
have built a more-than-100%-efficient electric motor.  The patent
office denied him a patent, but he claims that the machine is not a
perpetual motion machine, but converts mass to energy.  He is suing
the patent office for a patent.

Newman's invention is hard to describe, partly because its behavior
seems to be at odds with the laws of physics, and partly because the
details are being kept secret while the litigation goes on.  Newman
says his own theory of magnetic fields that underlies the invention is
"10,000 times more important" than the invention itself, which he
built to demonstrate the concept.  He claims to have discovered the
mechanical principles of a gyroscopic particle of matter that orbits
in a magnetic field much as an electron orbits in an atomic shell.
Several readers of his theory say it is incomprehensible and would not
get attention were it not for the illustrative devices.  The patent
Newman seeks is for an "Energy Generation system having Higher Energy
Output than Input."  Those who have seen it say it is a crude direct
current motor powered by a bank of lantern batteries with a heavy,
rotating magnet at its center.

[...stuff about TV coverage in New Orleans and Mississippi...]

Newman has benefitted from the television coverage and from several
weighty endorsements.  Foe example, the television station engineers
backed him.  Last year, Robinette [newscaster] dragged two reluctant
engineers on WWL-TV's staff to Newman's garage in Lucedale,
Mississippi.  They were skeptics at first, but, after looking at
oscilloscope readings, and watching the machine recharge batteries,
they agreed with their anchorman that the claims seemed valid.

Engineer Ralph Hartwell described the tests he ran.  When he arrived
at Newman's house, he connected some weak penlight batteries he had
brought along to a conventional motor in Newman's back yard.  It was
allowed to run until the batteries were drained of power, taking about
one minute.  He then moved the dead batteries over to the smallest of
Newman's three demonstration motors, connected them as a power source,
and started this motor spinning.  It ran until it was time for the
camera crew to leave, for something between 1 and 2 hours.  Finally,
the batteries were taken from Newman's machine back to the
conventional motot and reconnected.  This time the motor ran for three
minutes.  Hartwell ran another experiment on a large device and
concluded that it also appeared to generate more power than it used.
Other readings were taken with oscilloscopes and current meters, but
these readings have been questioned.  After signing a confidentiality
pledge, Hartwell was allowed to examine the machine's inner wiring.
He is certain that there is no hidden source of energy.  Although he
still feels uncomfortable about it, he says he could not disprove
Newman's claim and would like to see a controlled test.

Newman's key endorsement comes from Roger Hastings, a solid-state
physicist for Sperry Univac.  "I used to teach physics at North Dakota
State University," says Hastings, "and we would get three or four
people a year who had some kind of device that was going to save the
world.  I assumed this was the same."  Newman talked Hastings into
flying down for a visit anyway.  He returned five times, testing and
retesting the motors, until he was satisfied that he had made no
mistake.  He eventually signed an affadavit describing the invention
in detail and stating unequivocally that it runs at greater than 100%
efficiency.

Two electrical engineers from MSU tested one of Newman's devices last
March.  The conditions were unfavorable, because the motor kept
breaking down every few minutes, as a huge spark from the induction
coil shorted out a switch on the commutator.  Thus, while it was
fairly easy to measure the power going in, it was not easy to tell
what was coming out.  The engineers found that the motor was between
55 and 76% efficient.  However, they hedged, saying that it was
impossible to measure the mechanical energy lost in the machine.
They declined to call it a breakthrough, but said it was remarkably
efficient "given its obviously crude configuration".

Robinette (the newsman) maintains that while the MSU engineers were
testing the machine, they agreed that it was producing more energy
than it used.  But "when they went back, they wrote a very ambiguous
report that didn't say it didn't work and didn't say it did."

Some who might otherwise voice skepticism seem to sympathize with
Newman because of the way the patent office rebuffed him.  In court
filings, the office concedes that Newman is correct that it rejected
his claim without fully reading the documents he submitted;  that his
application was handled by an examiner who seems to specialize in
rejecting perpetual motion machines, who said that he would not allow
a patent no matter how much supportive evidence was provided;  that
patent officials never tested Newman's device for efficacy and refused
to observe oscilloscope readings of its input and output;  and finally
that the office issued a patent in 1979 to a man named Howard Johnson
for a perpetual motion machine that Johnson has since agreed is
inoperable.

If there were an association of militant patent rejectees, Newman's
battle with the patent office could be its rallying cause.  But there
is no such association.  However, Newman has done reasonably well
attracting attention by himself, especially in New Orleans.  Soon he
will get his day in court.

	*	*	*	*	*	*	*

Personally, I suspect that Newman has come up with some clever
electrical way to deceive himself and some other engineers and
physicists.  He may have built a machine, for example, that slowly
demagnetizes a large permanent magnet, draining the energy from its
field.   Obviously I can't tell for sure, since all I've seen is this
remarkably uninformative article.

However, the patent office should have given him the patent.  It
grants thousands of patents each year for the most useless, idiotic
gimcrackery, that is is a great waste of time and money to indulge in
court cases like this to continue a pretense of rectitude.  If, as is
most likely, the gadget doesn't generate energy, Newman will will be
unable to claim that he was held back by artificial restrictions, and
his patent won't mean much anyway because nobody would bother to copy
his device.

The patent office wouldn't even have to appear to give credence to
Newman's claims.  They could merely patent it as "improved electric
motor/generator" and allow him to try to develop it into something
that would produce useful amounts of energy, if he could.

--JoSH
-------

RP%SCRC-TENEX@MIT-MC.ARPA (02/08/84)

From:  Richard Pavelle <RP%SCRC-TENEX@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    Date: 7 Feb 84 16:10:26 EST
    From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>
    Subject: The Mississippi Perpetual Motion Machine
    To: physics@SRI-UNIX.ARPA

    Newman's Impossible Motor
     [a condensation of the article in Science, 10 Feb 84, v223#4636]

It is my understanding that the PTO will no longer consider Perpetual
Motion Machines, rejecting them outright. They have always applied their
own standards to patent applications. For example, several years ago,
sexual aids were rejected automatically whereas now they are acceptable.
Last century working models were required and for many years have not been.
I think they got sick of looking at PPMs and this person is in for years
of frustration if he wants them to look at his device.

murray@t4test.UUCP (Murray Lane) (02/17/84)

Excuse me for asking what is probably a stupid question (I'm not a physics
major, only a lowly electronics engineer), but how does one drain
the magnetic field off of a permanant magnet. That's one trick I didn't
learn in school.
					Murray at Intel - t4test