[net.physics] speed of light

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA (05/11/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

It is disappointing to see how many respondents fail to understand
the r^ole of measurement unit standards and fundamental constants
in physics.  Perhaps this indicates something about the way the
subject is taught or the effect of lack of a firm epistemological
base for the current state of the science.  In any case, herein
follows a much abbreviated exposition of the nature of the speed
of light.

Fundamental physical laws are not obtained by "curve-fitting"
empirical data, nor are they arbitrarily decreed by a supernatural
agency.  In the case of relativity theory (mostly the special
theory, although insights from generalized field theory are useful
for setting an overall framework for discussion), from a few simple
principles (none of them a curve fit) one can deduce the existence
of a special "fundamental" speed.  Comparison with other knowledge
such as Maxwell's equations leads one to conclude that light travels
with this fundamental speed.

The numerical value of "c", the fundamental speed, is not given by
the theory.  If you measure the actual speed of light in your
favorite system of distance and time units, then you can assign that
approximate value to c USING YOUR UNITS.  According to this approach,
it makes no sense to ask what things would be like were c different
from what you would measure; it can't be!

A more profound understanding of c's relationship to measurement
unit standards can be obtained by considering Minkowski's four-
dimensional "space-time" hyperspace, or its generalization to a
differentiable four-dimensional manifold with metric signature
(+ + + -) in general relativity and beyond.  The idea is that a
local coordinate transformation can reduce the metric tensor to
diagonal form under some circumstances (absence of electromagnetic
fields, etc.); that is, the generalization of Euclidean distance
after this "free-fall" transformation to an "inertial frame" would
be:
	ds^2 = (f dx)^2 + (e dy)^2 + (d dz)^2 - (c dt)^2 ,
where (x,y,z,t) are local Cartesian 3-space coordinates and the
time coordinate measured in arbitrary units.  People (not just
theoretical physicists) are clever enough to use compatible units
of distance for the three 3-space axis directions, so
	f = e = d	by usual convention.
In fact, theoreticians usually choose compatible units for time, so
	f = e = d = c	by theoretical physics convention.
In this case, "ds" units are normal taken to be compatible also, so
	f = e = d = c = 1	is the usual theoretical physics choice.
In the case
	f = e = d = 1	which assigns ds units compatible with distance,
the speed of light is exactly c.  The theoreticians therefore have
chosen units such that the speed of light is precisely 1.

The confusion seems to arise because most people insist on using
incompatible units for distance and time, in which case the numerical
value of c will depend on their choice of unit standards.  It may be
hard to determine an accurate value for c using random distance/time
units, since for example "meters" are related to the circumference of
the Earth and "seconds" are related to the rotational period of the
Earth -- neither of which has any apparent ties to fundamental laws
of physics (and therefore, the constant "c").  The reasons distance and
time are hard to consider as "the same type of thing" lie in the
opposite sign for the time coordinate in the diagonalized metric.

Since many physical field laws (including electromagnetic propagation)
are tied strongly to the metric tensor, the "speed of light" c (for
which read the "quotient of my space/time unit standards") is NOT
a freely adjustable parameter in the laws of physics.  Such ideas as
"the speed of light may change with time and/or distance" are
obviously inconsistent with the r^ole that "c" plays in interpreting
the metric tensor.

An additional note for cosmologists:  Since "ds" is an invariant, the
choice
	f = e = d = 1
is not really free either.  Natural distance units would be tied to
some physical phenomenon (obvious examples are: the "radius of the
universe"; the "size of a nucleon").  The most natural generalization
of general relativity, that is, the one making the fewest physical
assumptions, leads directly to a cosmology with a natural distance
unit.  Anyone who is really curious about this can drop me a note
and I'll send out a copy of my thesis.

KFL@MIT-MC (05/12/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>

	From:     Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

	 		     ... the generalization of Euclidean distance
	after this "free-fall" transformation to an "inertial frame" would
	be:
	        ds^2 = (f dx)^2 + (e dy)^2 + (d dz)^2 - (c dt)^2 ,
	where (x,y,z,t) are local Cartesian 3-space coordinates and the
	time coordinate measured in arbitrary units.  People (not just
	theoretical physicists) are clever enough to use compatible units
	of distance for the three 3-space axis directions, so
	        f = e = d       by usual convention.
	In fact, theoreticians usually choose compatible units for time, so
	        f = e = d = c   by theoretical physics convention.

  You are saying that asking "what happens if c is changed" makes as much
sense as asking what happens if the ratio between vertical distance and
horizontal distance was changed?

	In this case, "ds" units are normal taken to be compatible also, so
	        f = e = d = c = 1       is the usual theoretical physics choice.
	In the case
	        f = e = d = 1   which assigns ds units compatible with distance,
	the speed of light is exactly c.  The theoreticians therefore have
	chosen units such that the speed of light is precisely 1.

  Ah yes.  If you let c (the speed of light), h-bar (Plank's constant),
and G (the gravitational constant) all equal 1, you have a perfectly
consistent and well defined system of units in which there are natural
units of time, distance, mass, etc.  One problem with doing it this way
(other than the practical problem that the value of G is not known to
very many places) is that it tempts people to assign all units a
dimensionality of unity, which greatly impairs one's ability to debug
physics equations.

	The reasons distance and
	time are hard to consider as "the same type of thing" lie in the
	opposite sign for the time coordinate in the diagonalized metric.

  Of course you are assuming that general relativity is the last word.
General relativity is built on special relativity, and special
relativity begins by assuming some of the things it is often used to
'prove'!  The only reason not to throw it out is that it manages to
predict the results of many experiments with pretty good accuracy.
There are almost certainly some very serious bugs in relativity, as was
demonstrated in Bell's theorem, which shows that general (and special!)
relitivity as it is generally understood is incompatible with quantum
mechanics as it is generally understood.

	The most natural generalization
	of general relativity, that is, the one making the fewest physical
	assumptions, leads directly to a cosmology with a natural distance
	unit.  Anyone who is really curious about this can drop me a note
	and I'll send out a copy of my thesis.

  Yes, I would like a copy please.
								...Keith

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA (05/12/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

There was indeed a circular argument in one of Einstein's early
developments of special relativity, but the theory can be arrived
at using alternative approaches.

The general theory is not _________logically based on special relativity
but rather includes the latter as a special case.  The appeal
to agreement with experiment was only sought by Einstein to
sell the general theory once he had developed it; of course some
physical arguments and probably the world's finest physics intuition
went into formulating this theory.

I was careful to avoid mentioning quantum theory because of its
poor fit to relativity theory.  The Bell inequalities do show that
classical quantum theory does not mesh well with special relativity,
but then that is obvious from general considerations.  It is
interesting that the recent emergence of gauge theories as fundamental
physical principles is much closer to Einstein's work on a unified
field theory than physics has been for fifty years.  I have long
been convinced that Einstein really did know what he was about!

RWK%SCRC-TENEX@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (08/19/83)

From:  Robert W. Kerns <RWK%SCRC-TENEX@MIT-MC>

    Date: 19 August 1983 02:06 EDT
    From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>

            [Submitted to physics by dciem!ntt]
            "According to next month's issue of Science 83, the participants in the
            international Geneva Conference on Weights and Measures in October will
            adopt a new definition of the meter; it will be the distance travelled
            by light in 1/299792458 of a second (in a vacuum, I presume)."

      So after that date any scientist who thinks he is measuring the speed
    of light is actually doing nothing of the sort.  He is measuring the
    length of the meter!
      Isn't it amazing how much of 'reality' is made by such means?

Funny; I had though it was already so defined.  Does anybody
know how a second is defined?
-------

rsl@SPA-Nimbus@sri-unix.UUCP (08/19/83)

From:  Richard Lamson <rsl at SPA-Nimbus>

    Date: 19 Aug 1983 0421-EDT
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@SCRC-TENEX>
	Date: 19 August 1983 02:06 EDT
	From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>
		[Submitted to physics by dciem!ntt]
		"According to next month's issue of Science 83, the participants in the
		international Geneva Conference on Weights and Measures in October will
		adopt a new definition of the meter; it will be the distance travelled
		by light in 1/299792458 of a second (in a vacuum, I presume)."

	  So after that date any scientist who thinks he is measuring the speed
	of light is actually doing nothing of the sort.  He is measuring the
	length of the meter!
	  Isn't it amazing how much of 'reality' is made by such means?

    Funny; I had though it was already so defined.  Does anybody
    know how a second is defined?
It's so many ticks of a cesium clock, I think.  It's funny, I had read
the same story about defining the length of the meter and never figured
out that it meant that it means there is no independent measure of the
speed of light.  Anybody have any idea how one would operationally
measure the length of the meter given the new definition?

abc@brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (08/21/83)

From:      Brint Cooper (CTAB) <abc@brl-bmd>

Actually, a more intriguing question than how to measure the
length of a meter independently is how to "measure" the speed
of light (or of anything else).

Philosophically, speed is a somewhat more abstract entity than
distance.  Consider the endless debate over whether instantaneous
frequency (rate of change of phase angle of a sinusoidal waveform)
actually exists!

				Still intrigued,

				Brint

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (08/22/83)

	This speed of light issue of is interest to me, as some of the
	creation-science (THEIR words) people are suggesting that a
	physicist in Australia has determined that the speed of light
	is slowing fairly rapidly, thus suggesting that radio-active
	decay is related to the speed of light (which used to be faster)
	so argon and related dating systems are invalid because they assume
	present light speeds..... etc.

	Does anyone know anything about who this Aussie scientist is? or
	where he/she is published? or if decay is related to speed-of-light?
	Or any other factual matters related to such?  ( I don't need
	flames for or against the creation-science people, just trying to
	verify or refute a statement so made.)

			advTHANXance.

don stanwyck : ..!ihnp4!ihuxr!stanwyck : 312-979-6667 : btl @ naperville, il

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (08/22/83)

No, it is still possible to measure the speed of light.  It's just
that the measurments now have to be done in feet.  They will then
be converted to meters.  Remeber, the speed of light is independent
of the measuring system.
:-*
*= fill in the missing character.
--
Randwulf
 (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh   or... rh@mit-ee (via mit-mc)

kwmc@hou5d.UUCP (K. W. M. Cochran) (08/22/83)

My understanding is that (Einsteinian ?) physics relates the speed of
light to the size of the universe, although what the relationship is
I can't remember.  Does anyone know?  Thus if the universe is expanding,
the value of c may be changing.   Yes ?  No ?
                                        Ken Cochran    hou5d!kwmc

ntt@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (08/24/83)

(Earlier net articles, one from me, pointed out that the meter is now going
to be defined in terms of the speed of light, that the speed of light will
*by definition* be 299792458 m/s, and that therefore anyone who thinks they
are measuring the speed of light will actually be measuring the meter.)

    No, it is still possible to measure the speed of light.  It's just
    that the measurments now have to be done in feet.  They will then
    be converted to meters.  Remeber, the speed of light is independent
    of the measuring system.
    Randwulf

Well, in THIS country at least, the foot is defined as 0.3048 m exactly.  This
This makes the speed of light in a vacuum in Canada exactly 299792458/1609.344
(or about 186282.397051221-) miles per second.

I'm not sure of the current definition but there used to be 3 kinds of foot
in the USA; one was 0.3048 m, another was 1200/3937 m, the third in between.

Mark Brader, NTT Systems Inc., Toronto, Canada

gwyn@brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (08/24/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

I wonder what the operational significance of "the speed of light is
slowing" would be.  After all, the fundamental velocity (which happens
to be the speed of light in vacuuo) can be used to relate standards of
distance and time.  Surely the claim is not being made that the second
changes as a function of time??

gwyn@brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (08/24/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

There is no relationship between the speed of light and the size of
the universe.  Perhaps you're thinking of the conventional explanation
of the Hubble effect (red shift vs. distance).

Seems to me we went over this topic a few months ago.  The speed of
light in the units I normally work in is precisely 1.  This is not a
dirty trick but is permissible since the velocity in question is more
fundamental than any time or distance standards, insofar as relativity
goes.

KFL@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (08/25/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>

        [Submitted to physics by dciem!ntt]
        "According to next month's issue of Science 83, the participants in the
        international Geneva Conference on Weights and Measures in October will
        adopt a new definition of the meter; it will be the distance travelled
        by light in 1/299792458 of a second (in a vacuum, I presume)."

  So after that date any scientist who thinks he is measuring the speed
of light is actually doing nothing of the sort.  He is measuring the
length of the meter!
  Isn't it amazing how much of 'reality' is made by such means?

speaker@umcp-cs.UUCP (08/31/83)

Perhaps I'm dim, but I don't really see the problem with
measuring the speed of light.

First fix an arbitrary length to be your unit of measure and call
it the meter.  Then measure the distance traveled by a beam of
light in C ticks of the cesium clock.  You will always have the
standard meter and the cesium atom to refer to later...  in the
same way that you use light beams to gauge the value of c, the
speed of light.

Both C and the meter are arbitrary, but always constant when used
wrt the value of c.

					- Speaker
--
Mundane-Name:	John T. Nelson
Full-Name:	Speaker-To-Animals

KFL@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>

      Date: 29 Aug 83 15:25:58-PDT (Mon)
        From: ihnp4!ihuxm!gjphw @ Ucb-Vax

           My question: does Pauli's large number hypothesis allow for a
        change in the speed of light in a vacuum with a change in the radius of
        the physical universe?

  Since the speed of light is now 299,792,458 meters per second BY
DEFINITION, the trivial answer is NO.  What MAY change is the length of
the meter or the duration of a second.  What does it mean for all the
meters to get shorter or for seconds to get shorter?  This would mean
that all chairs, tables, molecules, terminals, people, and everything
else would get bigger (not that anyone would notice the difference) OR
that all clocks, atoms, modems, people, and everything else would
become slower (not that anyone would notice the difference).  We could
'explain' an 'increase in the speed of light' in any of those three
ways with equal accuracy.
                                                                ...Keith

cmsj@ihuxm.UUCP (11/04/83)

In an effort to shed some facts on the continuing debate over
whether the speed of light has changed through time, I offer
the following information (gleaned from my 1st year college
Physics text - Resnick and Halliday).

Date	Experimenter	Method		Speed		Uncertainty
   					(* 10**8 m/sec)	 (* 10**5 m/sec)

1600(?)	Galileo		Lanterns	"If not instantaneous, it is
					extraordinarily rapid"

1675	Roemer		Astronomical	2    		unknown

1729	Bradley		Astronomical	3.04		unknown

1849	Fizeau		Toothed wheel	3.133		unknown

1862	Foucault	Rotating mirror	2.98		5

1876	Cornu		Toothed wheel	2.9999		2

1880	Michelson	Rotating mirror	2.9991		.5

1883	Newcomb		"             "	2.9986		.3

1883	Michelson	"             "	2.99853		.6

1906	Rosa & Dorsey	E&M Theory	2.99781		.1

1923	Mercier		Standing waves	2.99782		.15

1926	Michelson	Rotating mirror	2.99796		.04

1928	Karolus et al	Kerr Cell	2.99778		.10

1932	Michelson et al	Rotating mirror	2.99774		.11

1940	Huettel		Kerr Cell	2.99768		.10

1941	Anderson	Kerr Cell	2.99776		.14

1950	Essen		Microwaves	2.997925	.03

1950	Bergstrand	Geodimeter	2.997927	.0025

1950	Houston		Vibrating
			Crystal		2.99775		.09

1950	Bol et al	Microwaves	2.997893	.004

1951	Aslakson	Shoran radar	2.998942	.019

1952	Rank et al	Molecular
			Spectra		2.99776		.07

1952	Froome		Microwave
			Interferometer	2.997926	.007

1954	Florman		Radio
			Interferometer	2.997951	.031

1954	Rank et al	Molecular
			Spectra		2.997898	.030

1956	Edge		Geodimeter	2.997929	.002

I assume full responsibility for any typographical errors
introduced during my transcription from the aforementioned
text.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who finds any
errors in the table.

And now, one editorial remark, if I may:

Is it the speed of light that changes with time or is it our
capability of measuring the speed of light that changes with
time.  I personally suspect that the latter is true.

			Chris Jachcinski
			*!ihnp4!ihuxm!cmsj

gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (11/17/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

I took the couple dozen independent determinations of the speed of
light posted to this list not long ago, and computed their weighted
average:	2.9979291 _+ 0.0000014
Note that this is more accurate than the most accurate determination
listed.

Upon checking this "best estimate" for c against the individual
experiments, I find that there is more scatter than one would expect
on the assumptions:
(1) The "true" speed of light is the same in each experiment.
(2) Each measurement is independent of the others.
(3) The standard deviations properly represent random error.

However, there is no evidence of a monotone change in c with time.

UNIX%Ames-VMSB@sri-unix.UUCP (04/18/84)

EM waves - speed of light
Matter   < speed of light
Gravity  - speed of light (elementary General Relativity)
Quantum Spin Correlation - no limit (true for other QM correlations too)
------