[net.physics] Dean Drive Possible?

robertcr@tektronix.UUCP (Robert Cram ) (03/16/84)

I was just reading an article about the Dean Drive.  The supposed
space drive that defies conservation laws.  The article (Analog 6/76)
suggest that Newton's 2nd Law has an additional term in it for the
third derivative.  According to the article, there is a "critical
action time" during which a system is non-Newtonian and "cannot  accept
energy".  By playing around with this, one can supposedly levitate
without using reaction mass.  This seems far fetched to me, but
is there sound theoretical or experimental work that flatly says
that there can be no non-zero coefficent  of the third derivative?
Is there an upper limit on its value?

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA (04/13/84)

The Dean Drive is well-known to be bogus.  It is a simple nonlinear,
nonsymmetric oscillator (the internal mass is pushed gently one way for
a long time and strongly the other way for a short time).  It slides
along the floor just as you could slide a chair in "jerks" without
touching the floor.  The apparent effects depend on the existence of
friction to negate the effect of the gentle forces, so that the strong
forces dominate the average.  If you suspended it from the ceiling it
would hang straight down; if you put it in free space it would stay
there.

A non-zero coefficient for the third derivative would imply that
momentum is not conserved.  Conservation of momentum is pretty well
established.

Mark

JGA%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (04/17/84)

From:  John G. Aspinall <JGA @ MIT-MC>

The Dean Drive came up in a discussion on the SPACE and SF-Lovers
digests a while ago.  Marvin Minsky submitted an amusing anecdote
about the subject to the lists.  With his permission, here is his
story.

  From: Marvin Minsky@MIT-AI (Sent by MINSKY@MIT-AI)
  Date: 01/17/82 00:25:30
  Subject: Dean Machine History

  Shortly after the Dean drive was described in Astounding, John Campbell
  published a picture of it.  I examined the picture with a lens and
  managed to read the brand name of the bathroom scale used to measure the
  loss of weight of the machine.  My college roommate, Roland Silver, and
  I conjectured correctly that this scale had a "diode" in it that coupled
  the platform and the reading device.  So we went to Sears Roebuck in
  Porter Square, Cambridge and bought that very scale.

  When you stand on it it reads your weight fine, but if you pump your
  arms up and down -- just as did the dean machine itself -- then the
  weight fluctuates a lot -- with the mean weight (and even the maximum)
  far below the real weight.

  So then Clause Shannon and John Pierce and I wrote a sharp detailed
  letter to Campbell about this.

  John Campbell didn't print our letter, but he sent me (knowing I was the
  instigator) a long letter that I still have here, denouncing
  establishment scientists for their reactionary and unimaginative
  rigidity and general intolerance.

  Suitably chastened, I dropped the matter and continued with my
  reactionary, establishment-bound studies.

  Anyway, this incident jibes with Pournelle's account about Cambell
  seeing the machine which "jumped around a lot" on a bathroom scale.  I
  checked out all the other scales, too, and finally found one that reads
  high when you bounce.  But these were much less common.  So, possibly,
  Dean was hoist by this pitiful petard.  But I maintained that this was
  extremely unlikely since, obviously, he was all too familiar with
  flakey, vibrating, weighing mechanisms.

    -- marvin

  P.S..  I should add that much as we hated him, we loved him greatly too,
  and for all he did for all of us.  And same for G. Harry Stine.

crummer%AEROSPACE@sri-unix.UUCP (04/20/84)

From:            Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>

The Dean Drive first appeared in Analog in the late '50's.  Dean actually
applied for a patent.  The drive does depend on reaction mass, at least as
described in the patent disclosure.  This hare-brained contraption got all
the way to NASA where an experimental apparatus was set up and conservation
of momentum was verified to a considerable degree of accuracy.  The apparatus
proposed by Dean does not, in fact, levitate.  Speculation as to additional
terms in Newton's 2nd law are probobly irrelevant.  The most accurate
investigation of this type of phenomenon must be carried out with the theory
of relativity.

  --Charlie

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (04/23/84)

Granted that no amount of pushing and shoving will result in a net
change of momentum unless there is something outside to push against.

Does the same restriction apply to angular momentum?  Given an object
suspended in space with no internal motion.  Is it possible to spin up a
gyroscope, precess it a bit, brake it back down, and result in a net
rotational motion?  The restriction here is that you must restore the
state of no internal motion.  Is this guaranteed to cancel out all spin
imparted to the object?

					    Jerry Aguirre
    {hplabs|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA (04/27/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

It is supposedly possible to change one's orientation by an appropriate
series of internal motions, but not one's angular momentum (conservation
of which is a direct consequence of rotational symmetry of the fundamental
laws).

crummer%AEROSPACE@sri-unix.UUCP (05/13/84)

From:            Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>

     Date:     Fri, 27 Apr 84 16:01:48 EST
     From:     Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
     Subject:  Re:  Dean Drive Possible?

     It is supposedly possible to change one's orientation by an appropriate
     series of internal motions, but not one's angular momentum (conservation
     of which is a direct consequence of rotational symmetry of the fundamental
     laws).

If by change in orientation you mean the angle swept out by some orientation
vector during the orientation change then this angle is proportional to the
time integral of the angular momentum of the system with respect to some
reference.
When the angular momentum is constant the orientation is changing at a constant
rate unless the orientation vector is aligned with the axis of rotation in
which case the proportionality constant is zero.  When the direction of
something, e.g. a telescope, on a satellite is changed it is sometimes done,
at the expense of a compensating change in the opposite direction of something
else, by "gyro torquing".  Is this the "internal motion" you mean?

  --Charlie

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA (05/14/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

No, what I had in mind was more like this:
	A space-suited person in outer space holds two massive dumbbells.
	He takes turns holding them asymmetrically at different distances
	and waving them around.  After a while the dumbbells are in their
	original positions w.r.t. the person but he is now facing some
	direction different from the one he started out facing.
I am not sure that this scenario is actualizable; it was told to me
during a discussion of the Dean Drive and freely-falling cats.  Supposedly
someone determined that it was possible for a cat to reorient itself
without reacting against the air.

I would be skeptical except that I haven't been able to come up with a
quick counter-proof (the problem is that the inertia tensor is not constant).

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (05/14/84)

> When the angular momentum is constant the orientation is changing at a constant
> rate unless the orientation vector is aligned with the axis of rotation in
> which case the proportionality constant is zero.  When the direction of
> something, e.g. a telescope, on a satellite is changed it is sometimes done,
> at the expense of a compensating change in the opposite direction of something
> else, by "gyro torquing".  Is this the "internal motion" you mean?

What is being referred to is the same effect that allows a cat to right itself
in the air after being dropped (with no net angular momentum) from a reasonable
height.  Athletes can also change their orientation in midair, starting and
ending with zero angular momentum.  There was a good article on this a few
years back, probably in Scientific American, which showed precisely how it
can be done.
--

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)

jlg@lanl-a.UUCP (05/14/84)

iiii

It IS possible to change orientation without effecting angular momentum or
any other momentum.  By change of orientation I mean 'face the other way' or
'turn around' relative to distant reference points.  Scientific American had
an article on this a couple of years ago (I don't remember the date).  The
main application cited in the article was Diving (off a diving board, olympics,
that kind of stuff).  A diver does a twist by counter-rotating various parts
of his body and then bringing such relative motions to a stop again,  but now
his body as a whole is in a different orientation.  The net angular momentum
of his body never changed - and could have been ZERO.

merlyn@sequent.UUCP (05/16/84)

> Date: Mon, 14-May-84 02:41:38 PDT
> From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
>
> No, what I had in mind was more like this:
> 	A space-suited person in outer space holds two massive dumbbells.
> 	He takes turns holding them asymmetrically at different distances
> 	and waving them around.  After a while the dumbbells are in their
> 	original positions w.r.t. the person but he is now facing some
> 	direction different from the one he started out facing.
> I am not sure that this scenario is actualizable; it was told to me
> during a discussion of the Dean Drive and freely-falling cats.  Supposedly
> someone determined that it was possible for a cat to reorient itself
> without reacting against the air.
>
> I would be skeptical except that I haven't been able to come up with a
> quick counter-proof (the problem is that the inertia tensor is not constant).

How about this... (no dumbells even!)...
In space, start your hands at your side.  Then, make a large circle forward,
up, over your head, backward, down, and back to your sides.  If you end
up in the same orientation after you complete the circle, you have some
pretty strange hands or strange ideas about what happens in space.

Really, wouldn't a large massive wheel with a center of rotation aligned
with the center of mass of a spaceship affect the rotational acceleration
of the ship based on the rotational acceleration of the wheel?  Sounds
pretty straightforward to me.  So, suppose the rotational velocity of the
ship is zero, as well as the rotational velocity of the wheel.  Then, rotate
the wheel one turn (ship relative).  The ship will be facing a different
direction (rotational position), and still have zero kinetic rotational
energy, as will the wheel.

I'm not a physics expert, but I do know that it is possible to spin
yourself around in space.  (Not change linear momentum, however...
unless the Dean Drive works.)

-- A particularly personal and original observation from the thought-stream of
Randal L. ("(null)") Schwartz, esq. (merlyn@sequent.UUCP)
	(Official Legendary Sorcerer of the 1984 Summer Olympics)
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. (503)626-5700 (sequent = 1/quosine)
UUCP: {decwrl,ogcvax,pur-ee,rocks34,shell,unisoft,vax135,verdix}!sequent!merlyn