[net.physics] equation of a baseball seam

JGA%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (03/08/84)

From:  John G. Aspinall <JGA @ MIT-MC>

Here's a random query...

Can anyone give me a nice parametric equation describing the
seam on a baseball as a curve on the surface of a sphere?

John Aspinall.

jim@kovacs.UUCP (Jim Keating) (05/24/84)

This is an old article I posted (Mar 84) which never made it to the net.
If I remember correctly, someone on the east coast (Boston?) wanted
info on the equation for a baseball seam.

> I had trouble responding to this via mail, so I'm posting it. Sorry.
> See the book "Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics" by
> Rogers and Adams, McGraw-Hill 1976, pg 118, eq. (5-8). The book
> contains other similar equations and an appendix full of programs.

-Jim Keating-
R. Abel & Assoc.
Hollywood, CA 90036
(213) 462 8100