[net.physics] Help

matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (04/26/84)

	Regarding uncaused causes:

	The recently revived "Kaluza-Klein" theories, turn non-gravita-
	tional interactions into geometrical effects by the introduction
	of additional dimensions which are assumed to have compactified
	to small ( ~ planck length ) sizes.  Popular versions involve a
	total of 11 dimensions.  If there were, say, 3 timelike and 8
	spacelike dimensions then there would be no causality at high
	energies.  Then there would be no need to find a cause for the
	big bang.

	Of course, there are other possible objections to the idea of
	8+3 dimensions than just causality.

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (04/26/84)

<mumblegrumblemuttermutter...>
 >You guys are doing great work.  More bombs please...
Hmmm, talk about opening a still-raw wound...better go ask that one in
net.politics.  Nukie bombs are the reward we all got when Einstein made the
mistake of trusting a politician...

 >AND HOWEVER FAR YOU TRACED THE STORY BACK YOU WOULD NEVER FIND THE LAWS OF
 >NATURE CAUSING ANYTHING. (italics mine)
 >
 >The dazzlingly obvious conclusion now arose in my mind: IN THE WHOLE HISTORY
 >OF THE UNIVERSE THE LAWS OF NATURE HAVE NEVER PRODUCED A SINGLE EVENT...
 >  . . . the source of events must be sought elsewhere.
You got it!  If by "laws" you mean the body of postulates and the theory
derived from postulates, etc., you're right - they constitute an abstract
model.  Abstractions have a hard time influencing reality.  (No, wait, if a
tree falls in the forest because it was cut to make pulp to print a physics
text, you might say that the laws of nature were responsible.:-)  But
seriously (maybe:-), "...the laws of nature causing anything..." is
grammatically correct but not meaningful, so it's impossible to say yes or
no (I know, I should say it isn't imparseable but there's some antics with
the semantics).

 >The smallest event, then, leads us back to a mystery which lies outside
 >natural science.
Do you mean to posit unnatural science?  Not on my terminal, you won't!
Actually, you get to trace everything back to the situation of the
singularity at the big bang - at which time everything was so weird that
none of the physics-as-we-know-it works right anyway.  There's a lot of
hypothesizing about what happened right at the start, but thus far NSF
hasn't seemed willing to fund the experiments to find out.

At this point, it seems like we ought to jump over to either net.origins or
net.philosophy.
--
...Cerebus for dictator!				Dick Dunn
{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd				(303) 444-5710 x3086

gwyn@brl-vgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (04/26/84)

One way to look at this matter is to consider two different views of
causality:
	(1)  Events are caused by other events (as in the example you
	     cite);
	(2)  Events are caused by the nature of things combined with
	     the environment of the things.
(1) is the traditional philosophy, (2) is probably closer to reality.

gwyn@brl-vgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (04/27/84)

The standard objection to Kaluza-like theories (those which add dimensions
to provide internal symmetries) is that one then has to explain why four
coordinates appear to uniquely identify a event.  There is something
upsetting in the idea of postulating higher dimensionality without being
forced to..

crummer%AEROSPACE@sri-unix.UUCP (05/13/84)

From:            Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>

If "the laws of physics" don't cause anything, then what does?  Maybe it's
God in the guise of humans. (Holy spirit within or whatever.)  We initiate
events which then proceed according to the laws.

  --Charlie

crummer%AEROSPACE@sri-unix.UUCP (05/13/84)

From:            Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>

Re: Gwyn's #2-- Events are caused by the nature of things combined with
                the environment of the things.

Please explain how it is that the NATURE of a thing can cause anything.
An environment seems to me to comprise things.

Hey, all you atheists and closet theists, what's threatening about
distinguishing between interim causes (the dominoes) and a first cause (He who
knocks down the first dominoe).  The distinction is not an explanation of
anything.  Physicists aren't in danger of losing their jobs if it is found out
that God exists!

  --Charlie

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA (05/14/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

I was making a distinction between things and actions, which the commonly-
accepted view of causality does not (at least not in the same way).  This
is only one of several points of philosophy that can be quite relevant for
the physical theorist, but it is not clear that an extended discussion on
this mailing list would be appreciated.

It is my firm belief that a fundamentally different attitude toward the
"laws of physics" is taken by those who believe in a Prime Mover than by those
who do not.  In one case, the laws are "handed down from above" and could
have been different; in the latter case, the laws cannot be arbitrary but
must be the only possibility.  The job of the theoretician is also different:
in the first case, he is trying to discover what patterns exist and considers
anything possible unless there is experimental evidence to the contrary; in
the second case, he is trying to understand how the patterns are determined
by a few truly fundamental principles and how those few principles can be
further reduced.  Even if the mathematical expression of the ultimate laws
of physics were the same in both cases, it is clear that a fundamentally
different mind-set holds for each of the two belief systems.  The degree of
certainty in the current state of one's knowledge is also affected by one's
idea of what causes physical laws.

jso@edison.UUCP (05/19/84)

In reference to the "source of physical laws", I've thought of an interesting
theory relating to Zeno's paradox, which "proves" that motion is impossible:
to travel a unit distance requires traveling half that distance, then the
other half; each half is broken down recursively, ad infinitum, so that
any motion requires moving an infinite number of infinitesemal distances,
taking infinite time.
The solution to this paradox is easy with quantum dynamics: once the distance
is below that given by the uncertainty principle, it has effectively
already been taken.  Zeno's paradox then *explains* motion as a number
of quantum jumps.

In relation to the origins of physical laws: suppose that in the initial
singularity (t==0), the universe was in a "juxtaposition of states"
where it had the possibility of many sets of physical laws - any of these
sets that did not have quantum uncertainty or something similar would
fall to Zeno's paradox, and literally never get anywhere, while the one
that eventually hit p==1 when things cooled down would have to have this
property.

(This is probably complete nonsense, but might just have some meaning to it.
Just a thought.)

-John Owens
uvacs!edison!jso

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (05/23/84)

Zeno's paradox is not a real paradox in the sense that we need quantization
of space to resolve it.  The paradox states take any finite length.  We can
divide it into an infinite number of lengths, getting smaller and smaller,
but each of finite size.  To travel any finite length requires finite
time.  Therefore to travel the original length requires an infinite number
of finite times, hence an infinite time.  The falacy is in the last conclusion.
We have assumed that a finite length can be partitioned into an infite number
of smaller but still finite lengths.  Therefore we can also assume that a
finite time can be partioned into an infinite number of smaller but still finite
times.  Hence we cannot conclude that if we have an infinite number of finite
times they combine to form an infinite time.
   To illustrate, assume an object moves one meter in one second.  Zeno says
that to move one meter you will first have to move 1/2 meter, then 1/4 then
1/8, then 1/16 and so on.  To do this will require 1/2 second, then 1/4, then
1/8, then 1/16 and so on.  We do not assume that the collection of distances
combines to form an infinite distance.  Hence we cannot conclude that
the collection of times combines to form an infinite time.

                                                  William Hughes

gwyn@brl-vgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (05/23/84)

It does not require QM to resolve Zeno's paradox.  Continuum
mathematics and Newtonian physics can deal with this.

crummer%AEROSPACE@sri-unix.UUCP (05/24/84)

From:            Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>

Think about this.  In The Beginning, according to the Big Bangers, the universe
was tied up in a singular space-time knot.  In such a situation how does the
common concept of "before" make sense?  Maybe "What happend before the Big
Bang?" or "Who or what existed before God that created Him?" are MEANINGLESS
questions.

  --Charlie

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (05/25/84)

It seems that the real signficance of Zeno's Paradoxes is missed when
we take them too literally.  Zeno (a disciple of Parmenides) was
really implying a spacetime continuum.

If the motion of an object is viewed as an array of events in
four-dimensional spacetime, then from a standpoint of an assumed
viewpoint beyond spacetime, the object hasn't really moved from
event to event. It was, as it were, at every point of its world
line simultaneously.  Zeno and Parmenides founded the school of
Eleaticism (they lived in Elea), which held that all change (motion)
was an illusion.

                                  Henry Friedman

jbf@ccieng5.UUCP (05/26/84)

Zeno's paradox is no problem even without quantum mechanics!  The solution
involves the procedure known as Integral Calculus -- you add up an infinite
number of infinitesimals, and come up exactly with the finite number you
have come to suspect!  Thus Zeno's paradox comes down to

Azhrarn
--
The above is my personal opinion.  In all probability, everyone else
disagrees!

Reachable as
	....allegra![rayssd,rlgvax]!ccieng5!jbf