[net.physics] lockpost blast, nuclear power, n

cmm@pixadv.UUCP (cmm) (08/23/84)

<bye bye line>

> Conservation has worked well enough already to play hob with the Bonneville
> power Administration's demand forecasts (nw US) and eliminate (for many
> years) the need for the WppSS nuclear plants - a large factor in the
> current brouhaha over the plants.
> 				Jeff Winslow

| We seem to be suffering from a problem of different time scales. Bringing a
| new power technology on line is a 30+ year proposition. I suspect that
| conservation won't buy you *anything* beyond 300-400 years. Unless you're
| willing to start cutting back on things, like the population.
|	<mike

300 to 400 years from a single power source (conservation) is *far* longer than
we have been served by oil (inthe absence of conservation).  Three centuries
is a perfectly acceptable lifespan for conservation to provide us with needed
energy, and *should* provide time to develop alternatives.

BTW, is there a better newsgroup to maintain this discussion?  Net.followup
strikes me as being too unspecific (how about net.sci or net.physics?).
cmm   (carl m mikkelsen)    | (617)657-8720x2310
Pixel Computer Incorporated |
260 Fordham Road	    | {allegra|ihnp4|cbosgd|ima|genrad|amd|harvard}\
Wilmington, Ma.  01887	    |     !wjh12!pixel!pixadv!cmm

gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/25/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>

Please move the conservation discussion to net.sci; it appears to
have little if anything to do with physics.  Thanks.