[net.physics] Auto exhaust 1 gal gas ---) 1 1/2 gal water

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/08/85)

> Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology) writes:

>   As an interesting side light, burning 1 Gal of gasoline (Petrol for our
> English friends) produces about 1.5 Gal of water (I misremember the exact
> amount but I know that it was more than the volume of fuel).  Airships

	Well, let's do the calculation: let assume gasoline that is all
octane: that's C8H18. 18 hydrogens gives 9 molecules of water for each of
gasoline. Actually, gasoline is less than that, it tends to be a lot of
heptane and some nonane, etc... So give it 8.5 (8 would be pure heptane).
	However, car engines are about 1/4 efficient, so make it a little
above 2 waters/gasoline.
	Then remember, water is denser than gasoline. The specific gravity
of gasoline is about .8.  And 2*.8 = 1.6 but this is all estimates.

	So, yeah, about 1 1/2 is a good ballpark guess. I'll give it to you.
	It might be more in new fuel efficient models.
[Remember,these numbers are for comparison only. Your gallonage may vary.]:-)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner