[net.physics] deflecting laser

chen@uiucdcsb.UUCP (12/15/84)

  I remember seeing the world map projected onto the silver dome
in monochrome laser in the EPCOT center, Florida. How did they do that?
They must have a way of deflecting the laser light to make it
does raster scanning. I can imagine only two ways to do this:

1) move the laser device mechanically.
2) projects laser through some tansparent medium whose refractivity
   is electronically controllable.

  The second one seems to be a more reasonable solution to me. Anyone
knowledgeable in the field care to comment on this?

Kaihu Chen
uiucdcs!chen

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (12/17/84)

how about just plain mirrors.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (12/18/84)

> They must have a way of deflecting the laser light to make it
> does raster scanning. I can imagine only two ways to do this:
>
> 1) move the laser device mechanically.
> 2) projects laser through some tansparent medium whose refractivity
>    is electronically controllable.

Don't forget directing the beam toward a rotating mirror.  That's the
way most laser printers do it.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

gijs@vu44.UUCP (12/19/84)

In <10800014@uiucdcsb.UUCP> Kaihu Chen writes:
> [] They must have a way of deflecting the laser light to make it
> does raster scanning. I can imagine only two ways to do this:
> 1) move the laser device mechanically.
> 2) projects laser through some tansparent medium whose refractivity
>    is electronically controllable.
>   The second one seems to be a more reasonable solution to me. []

They simply deflect the beam with a rotating or vibrating mirror.
The same technique is used in a laser printer: the light of a
stationary laser is deflected in the x direction by a rotating
mirror and then projected on a rotating (light sensitive) drum.

		Gijs Mos
		Free University
		Dept. of Biology
		Amsterdam
		..{seismo,philabs,decvax}!mcvax!vu44!gijs

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (12/21/84)

>   I remember seeing the world map projected onto the silver dome
> in monochrome laser in the EPCOT center, Florida. How did they do that?
> They must have a way of deflecting the laser light to make it
> does raster scanning. I can imagine only two ways to do this:
>
> 1) move the laser device mechanically.
> 2) projects laser through some tansparent medium whose refractivity
>    is electronically controllable.
>
>   The second one seems to be a more reasonable solution to me. Anyone
> knowledgeable in the field care to comment on this?
>

> Kaihu Chen
> uiucdcs!chen

There are additional ways to do it.  One way is to mount a curved
mirror on an audio speaker voice coil.  As the voice coil moves in
and out, the laser beam would strike different parts of the mirror,
and hence would be reflected off in different directions.  Two
such mirrors could provide two axes of motion, with turning the
laser on and off providing pixels.  This is similar in principle
to how CRT and TV tubes operate.  Another method involves a
rapidly spinning wheel with flat mirrors spaced around the rim.
As a single mirror intercepts the beam, the reflection would scan
in an arc.  As you reach the edge between two mirrors, the beam
would suddenly jump to the other side.  This is the type of motion
you want in raster scanning.

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (01/02/85)

<>

It is also possible to deflect laser light by running it through a
moving hologram.  This is, I think, how supermarket UPC scanners
operate.
--

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706

will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) (01/07/85)

>   I remember seeing the world map projected onto the silver dome
> in monochrome laser in the EPCOT center, Florida. How did they do that?
> They must have a way of deflecting the laser light to make it
> does raster scanning. I can imagine only two ways to do this:
>
> 1) move the laser device mechanically.
> 2) projects laser through some tansparent medium whose refractivity
>    is electronically controllable.
>
>   The second one seems to be a more reasonable solution to me. Anyone
> knowledgeable in the field care to comment on this?
>

> Kaihu Chen
> uiucdcs!chen

The map might be projected holographically.

Perhaps a raster scan might be achieved  using  either  the  Kerr
electro-optical,  or  the  Voigt & Cotton-Mouton  magneto-optical
effects. The beam intensity could be modulated via a Pockel Cell.

Every time I have  seen  someone  scan  something  with  a  laser
they've  used  some  variant  of  a mirror on an air bearing, and
a linear servo (yawn).

William Fuller
..!terrak!anasazi!will

ross@dsd.UUCP (Evan Ross) (01/11/85)

One common means for single dimensional raster-scanning with a laser is
to reflect it off the outside surface of a mirrored rotating polygon.  The
rotation causes the angle of intersection (an reflection) of the beam
to constantly change. This can be applied to two polygons (of different
speeds) to produce a two dimensional scan.