[net.physics] Non-linear systems.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg Kuperberg) (01/05/85)

There seems to be considerable skepticism about my proposition that a
non-linear system is a sufficient condition.  Well, here is a simple model
of a non-linear system in which there is exactly *zero* predictability.

In this "universe", time goes in discrete jumps, as in Conway's Game of
Life.  In fact, one could easily picture this universe as a cellular
automaton.  Anyway, the universe at any point in time consists of a
non-terminating sequence of 0's and 1's.  After each time unit, the sequence
has its first binary digit (bit, I guess) removed.  Thus, the whole
sequence shifts right by one.  The evolution of the universe would progress
like this:

Time 0:  1101110011...
Time 1:  1011100111...
Time 2:  0111001110...
Time 3:  1110011101...
Time 4:  1100111010...

And now, the twist.  The *observable* universe is only the first bit of the
sequence at each point in time.  So what is the state of the observable
universe as it progresses with time?  Simply any sequence of 0's and
1's.  Utterly unpredictable, even though the entire state of the universe
"existed" at the beginning of time!

Well, someone might object, "but it's only because of QM that we are
limited in our measurements, so we still need QM."  But I say that QM is
not our only limitation.  Even without QM, the thickness of the doping on
our silicon chips is limited to the size of the atom, the speed that the
signal in them propagates is limited to the speed of light, and the size of
our computers is limited to the size of the universe (and probably the size
of our galaxy).  These restrictions probably apply to *any* computing
device in our universe.  So, if we're lucky, we may get 10^200 megaflops
tops.  By the (exponentional) nature of non-linear systems, this would give
a predictive power of, say, 200 days of weather.  Less than one year of
weather predicted, even with a computer as big as the universe!
Furthermore, it would necessarily disrupt the weather patterns if we were
to take 10^200 data samples.  Thus, the exact weather for next year is
forever beyond our reach, without all those theories that the Nobel
Laureates have cooked up.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"  " -Charlie Chaplin, for IBM

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/06/85)

(Totally unpredictable universe proposed; you are given a hypothetical
infinite sequence of bits, and the state of the universe at time T (T an
integer, so that time goes in discrete jumps) is the value of the Tth
bit of the sequence.  This in response to the claim that the non-linearity
of a system can be a sufficient condition for unpredictability; this
system is described as "a simple model of a non-linear system" by the
original author.)

Objection, Your Honor; the defense's claim is irrelevant.  The system isn't
unpredictable because its equations of motion are non-linear; the system
is unpredictable because it *doesn't have* any equations of motion.  This
system is "non-linear" only in a trivial sense.

(Discussion of the restrictions of real live physical computing devices,
and of the fact that taking enough measurements to find the initial
state of a system will disrupt that state enough that perfect prediction
is in practice impossible).

Again, irrelevant.  We're not discussing whether enough Crays can be
constructed to produce real printouts and graphs predicting the future
state of the Universe.  We're discussing whether the future state of the
Universe is not predictable *in principle*.  If the model we construct
of the universe is based on the real numbers, the size of a silicon atom
doesn't even get a chance to enter into it, because the initial state
consists of C (where C is the cardinality of the continuum, a nice infinite
number) points, each one of which is specified with infinite precision
(and would require log2(C) bits to represent, which is still a nice infinite
number).  We all *K*N*O*W* that in practice the universe won't be perfectly
predictable.  Please don't waste our time informing us of the detailed
reasons why; I, for one, knew them before this discussion began and don't
really give a damn about hearing them again.

> Thus, the exact weather for next year is forever beyond our reach,
> without all those theories that the Nobel Laureates have cooked up.

Yes, we all know that; only an idiot would think otherwise (i.e., think that
you could compute the exact value of the temperature, to infinite precision,
at each one of the C locations on the earth).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) (01/08/85)

> Again, irrelevant.  We're not discussing whether enough Crays can be
> constructed to produce real printouts and graphs predicting the future
> state of the Universe.  We're discussing whether the future state of the
> Universe is not predictable *in principle*.

The concept of "predicable, in principle" is usefull if and only if
it has some connection with reality.  If 10^70 Cray's calculating for
10^10 years cannot predict next year's weather then next year's weather
is unpredictable.  To argue that the weather is predictable "in priciple"
is equivalant to saying that "My theory predicts something which is
IMPOSSIBLE to calculate, but if we could I'm sure it would be correct!"

It wasn't too long ago that any angle could be trisected, pi could
be expressed as the ratio of 2 integers, particles positions and momentum
could be determined simultaneously, ...  In principle, of course.

						Jim

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/09/85)

> > Again, irrelevant.  We're not discussing whether enough Crays can be
> > constructed to produce real printouts and graphs predicting the future
> > state of the Universe.  We're discussing whether the future state of the
> > Universe is not predictable *in principle*.
>
> The concept of "predicable, in principle" is usefull if and only if
> it has some connection with reality.

The problem is that the connection of any discussion of predictability
with reality is tenuous, at best.  If you're discussing it in terms of
whether you can know what the thermometer is going to read tomorrow,
the practical impossibility of making that prediction is important.
If you're arguing the philosophical question of whether the universe
is a deterministic machine or not, it is *totally irrelevant* whether you
can construct a machine which models the universe with 100% accuracy out
of real materials.

Unless somebody out there has something useful to add to the discussion
of the question of whether the universe is a deterministic machine,
let's drop the discussion; pointing out that there's nothing out there
with which a machine that models the universe can be constructed adds
nothing to this particular discussion.

breuel@harvard.ARPA (Thomas M. Breuel) (01/09/85)

> The concept of "predicable, in principle" is usefull if and only if
> it has some connection with reality.  If 10^70 Cray's calculating for
> 10^10 years cannot predict next year's weather then next year's weather
> is unpredictable.  To argue that the weather is predictable "in priciple"
> is equivalant to saying that "My theory predicts something which is
> IMPOSSIBLE to calculate, but if we could I'm sure it would be correct!"
>
> It wasn't too long ago that any angle could be trisected, pi could
> be expressed as the ratio of 2 integers, particles positions and momentum
> could be determined simultaneously, ...  In principle, of course.

Sorry, you're wrong. The technical term for "predictable in principle"
is computable. This is a sensible notion of great interest and
significance in modern information science.  What you're aiming at is
the notion of "computational complexity".

But even if a problem is not computable, or if a problem is NP
complete, not all hope is lost. You may not be able to find an
analytical solution for it, or to find such a solution efficiently,
but you may be able to find good heuristics. Indeed, many heuristics
are so good that we don't even notice that they are only
approximations. "In principle", the path of a bullet is not
predictable. Nevertheless, everybody uses Newtonian mechanics to
predict it.

Just a few remarks about your concluding remarks: the trisection of
the angle and the rationality of pi were *unsolved* mathematical
problems. It has now been shown that these problems are unsolvable
(although you can graphically trisect an angle to any desired degree of
accuracy and express pi to any desired degree of accuracy as a
rational number). Whether particle positions and momenta can or cannot
be determined simultaneously is still an unsolved question of modern
physics. The fact that quantum mechanics gives answers that are in
good agreement with experimental data does not imply that quantum
mechanics is by any means "correct". Indeed, it has some highly
questionable points and is in disagreement with other theories that
show equally good argeement with (other) experimental data.

						Thomas.
						breuel@harvard

rosen@sunybcs.UUCP (Jay Rosenberg) (01/10/85)

(long quotes at end of article)

[And now, for the BIG MONEY, is the universe ... Random?]

Since it is highly unlikely (do you have any idea how high I mean)
that the matter will be resolved by anything approaching direct
testing.  The question on whether the universe is fundamentally
random, or only so in New Jersey, is most likely moot (as far as
physics is concerned) unless it can be argued that somehow the
choice of one view would yield different predictions that could
either be supported or lambasted.  I seriously doubt that either system
couldn't completely account for the other, and no test (including
Occum's disposable razor) could cast a deciding vote.
Does that mean that it doesn't matter which philosophical bent you
(the physics community) choose?  Of course not.  I personaly
think that the frame of mind that settles for the "well, all in
all, its random, let's go home I'm hungry" approach is not a good one.
Once you accept randomness as the underlining mechanism, there is no
longer a drive to study it.  Just like it is not uncommon for people
to think that human behavior is random (don't believe me, sit in on
a good intro to AI class and listen to some comments).
The upshot is that saying its random, I believe, can easily
induce the attitude of "Why bother?".  This is a
dangerous axiom to hold as the underlining and most basic principle
of physics.

Of course, I'm probably wrong.

Jay Rosenberg

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/10/85)

> > The concept of "predicable, in principle" is usefull if and only if
> > it has some connection with reality.  If 10^70 Cray's calculating for
> > 10^10 years cannot predict next year's weather then next year's weather
> > is unpredictable.
> Sorry, you're wrong. The technical term for "predictable in principle"
> is computable. This is a sensible notion of great interest and
> significance in modern information science.  What you're aiming at is
> the notion of "computational complexity".

Let's try to keep something straight here:  there are lots of things
that a mathemetician assumes trivially, like adding two real numbers,
that are not computable--they're infinitely long, remember?
So something that's computable in principle to a mathemetician or
a very theoretical physicist has little to do with what we can actually
compute.  Predicting the motion of a perfectly deterministic Newtonian
system is impossible *because you can't "know" the initial conditions:
they entail an infinite number of bits*.

One way to look at QM uncertainty is to say that it, or something like
it, is necessary merely to avoid having to say that each particle in
the universe represents an infinite amount of information.

--JoSH

> One way to look at QM uncertainty is to say that it, or something like
> it, is necessary merely to avoid having to say that each particle in
> the universe represents an infinite amount of information.

No, this is not what quantum uncertainty is about (although perhaps this
is a consequence of it).  Even quantum mechanics assumes that quantities
can be expressed as sets of real numbers, each of which is essentially
infinitely precise.  The uncertainty principle is that every measurable
quantity (well, that's stretching it a bit) has a conjugate quantity
such that the product of the precision to which the conjugate variables
can be simultaneously determined is no less than some universal constant
(something like 10^-27 erg-sec as I recall).  There is no injunction
against any quantity being measured to as many "bits" of accuracy as one
may desire, although its conjugate becomes fuzzier as the measurement is
made more precise.

I would like to hear a discussion of the implications of a closed and/or
bounded (not the same thing) universe on such issues.  I think there is
something very interesting to be discovered about this..

I think Jay has raised a valid and important point,
which is (paraphrasing) that one's accepted philosophy
has a significant influence on one's actions and
motivations.  It really should matter even to a
pragmatist (which I am not) whether the underlying
structure of the universe is inherently random,
whether it follows laws laid down arbitrarily by
a supreme being, whether it is possible for humans
to gain a real understanding of their world or not,
and so forth.  I think one of the reasons that modern
physics has gotten simultaneously silly and boring
(in my opinion, obviously; I used to be a physicist)
is that most physicists have intellectually defaulted
on this matter, leaving the crucial issue of their
fundamental beliefs to be determined by the mystics
that dominate the field of philosophy (including
religion of course) in today's culture.  `Tis a pity.

stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) (01/11/85)

Randomness and predictability are two different things.  Randomness
is sufficient for unpredictability but not the only source.

In linear types of systems, like Newtonian orbital mechanics,
one can easily show that intitial states which are infinitesimally
different at t=0 will be infinitesimally different at t=T.  For
many non-linear systems, infinitesimally different states at t=0 can
be arbitrarily "far apart" at t=T.   When such things occur it becomes
impossible, even in principle, for a computer to predict the future
because one does not even know the precision to which the calculation
must be carried.  One cannot guarentee that the truncation error on even
a 10^10 bit computer would not introduce unacceptable error.

						Jim
						ihnp4!hou2g!stekas

rivers@seismo.UUCP (Wilmer Rivers) (01/12/85)

In article <1027@sunybcs.UUCP>, rosen@sunybcs.UUCP (Jay Rosenberg) writes:
> Once you accept randomness as the underlining mechanism, there is no
> longer a drive to study it.

I don't buy that. After all, there are many reasons for studying a
system other than being able to predict exactly its future (or past)
behavior. Just because a system must be regarded as being stochastic
rather than deterministic doesn't mean that you have no interest in
determining the structure of that randomness - if you have a black
box which is spewing out random numbers, the first thing you would
like to do is determine whether those random numbers have a uniform,
gaussian, chi-squared, etc., distribution. An extraordinary amount of
effort is expended on the analysis of random phenomena such as turbu-
lence in fluids or noise in electric and mechanical systems. Ultimately,
the knowledge gained in these investigations cannot be used to predict
future behavior exactly, but it can be used to express that behavior
probabilistically. There is thus considerable motivation for studying
phenomena which one regards as being random; in fact, one might even
take the opposite viewpoint of regarding the study of deterministic
phenomena as being somehow less exciting, because all possible answers
that you might work out for the system's future behavior are "predestined"
by the initial conditions (in the absence of future perturbations.) It
would be rather boring to continue to make measurements and plot points
on a graph, knowing that they would all continue to fall on a parabola.
Stochastic systems are at least fun to observe precisely because you
don't know exactly what's going to happen next. (If you don't believe
that, ask the inventor of the "lava lamp" how much he's made from that
little gizmo.)

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (01/13/85)

+---------------
| For many non-linear systems, infinitesimally different states at t=0 can
| be arbitrarily "far apart" at t=T...  | Jim | ihnp4!hou2g!stekas
+---------------

In fact, it should be possible to construct a system which is "arbitrarily
non-linear everywhere", to coin a phrase. That is, given some time T and
some epsilon E > 0 (no matter how small) and delta D (no matter how large),
one should be able to construct systems S(s0,t) for which, given two initial
states s1 and s2 such that the initial states are at least E apart (according
to whatever convenient metric ||x-y|| you choose):

	|| S(s1,0) - S(s2,0) || > E

the states at time t > T  are farther apart than D:

	|| S(s1,t) - S(s2,t) || > D

I remember some constructions we did in math in college many (many!) years
ago with functions that were "discontinuous everywhere". Has the above
sort of thing been done with physical systems? Is this the sort of stuff
Catastrophy Theory is supposed to deal with?

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) (01/14/85)

>> The concept of "predicable, in principle" is usefull if and only if
>> it has some connection with reality.
>
>Sorry, you're wrong. The technical term for "predictable in principle"
>is computable.

You mean "predictable in principle" (i.e. computable) is a useful concept
even when it has NO connection with reality?!  I wasn't aiming at a
definition of "computability" only an understanding of the usefullness
of the concept.  Even so, I would think that most of modern physics is
NOT computable!

The point I was trying to make was that if the universe is governed by
a collection of non-linear equations (of sufficient ugliness) then the
question of whether the universe is predictable may moot because we
might not be able to calculate with them.  So we couldn't verify the
correctness of our theories, or determine the future even if they
were correct.

Is QED a "computable" theory?  QCD?  General Relativity?  Have we verified
them to sufficient accuracy to believe them?  Are they deterministic
theories?  Are they deterministic approximations of a non-deterministic
reality?  Are these questions of more concern to a physicist, philosopher,
or theologian?

						Jim

carlc@tektronix.UUCP (Carl Clawson) (01/15/85)

In article <386@hou2g.UUCP> stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) writes:
>Randomness and predictability are two different things.  Randomness
>is sufficient for unpredictability but not the only source.
>
>In linear types of systems, like Newtonian orbital mechanics,
>one can easily show that intitial states which are infinitesimally
>different at t=0 will be infinitesimally different at t=T.

Sorry, but Newtonian mechanics is not necessarily linear. (I'm
assuming you're referring to the equation of motion F=ma.)
For Newtonian gravity F is proportional to 1/(r**2), thus
the non-linear equation

        2    2                  2
       d r/dt  = constant x 1/(r )

Linearity is not necessary for "predictability" as described in the
referenced article.

Carl Clawson
...tektronix!carlc

anand@utastro.UUCP (Anand Sivaramakrishnan) (01/16/85)

>In article <386@hou2g.UUCP> stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) writes:
>Randomness and predictability are two different things.  Randomness
>is sufficient for unpredictability but not the only source.
>
>In linear types of systems, like Newtonian orbital mechanics,
>one can easily show that intitial states which are infinitesimally
>different at t=0 will be infinitesimally different at t=T.

>>Sorry, but Newtonian mechanics is not necessarily linear. (I'm
>>assuming you're referring to the equation of motion F=ma.)
  .
  .
>>Carl Clawson

I append the following note...

In point of fact, Newtonian gravity is not only non-linear
but also solutions of the equations of motion are very often
'Sensitively Dependent on Initial Conditions' (SDIC).

Frequently higher energy 'orbits' (trajectories) in many
Newtonian systems diverge away from each other in any
neighbourhood through which they pass (i.e. they have
at least one positive 'Liapunov Exponent'). Typical examples
of this phenomenon are found in various models for the
behaviour of (massless) bodies moving under the gravitational
influence of two massive bodies in Keplerian (elliptical
or circular) motion around each other.

This SDIC is so prevalent that it is now a buzzword amongst
us nonlinear dynamicists. It is the hallmark of 'chaos
in deterministic systems'. This SDIC is found in most
nonlinear differential equations.

				Anand Sivaramakrishnan

jss@sftri.UUCP (J.S.Schwarz) (01/21/85)

> I remember some constructions we did in math in college many (many!) years
> ago with functions that were "discontinuous everywhere". Has the above
> sort of thing been done with physical systems? Is this the sort of stuff
> Catastrophy Theory is supposed to deal with?
>

> Rob Warnock
> Systems Architecture Consultant

No. The subject is nonequilibrium thermodynamics.  A good introduction
is the book

	From Being to Becoming:
	Time and Complexity in the Physical Sciences

	by  Ilya Prigogine

	W. H. Freeman & Co.
	ISBN 0-7167-1108-7 pbk

(Prigogine won a Nobel prize for work related to the contents of the
book, but this book is readable by those with a year or two of
undergraduate physics.)

Jerry Schwarz