[net.physics] Tesla coils and safety

carlc@tektronix.UUCP (Carl Clawson) (03/11/85)

In article <443@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>CAREFUL, 15000v
>is a lot of juice, and mine will deliver 60ma (30 is also common).
>Have fun, and don't electrocute yourself.  Keep in mind that the
>15kv primary is a lot more dangerous than the secondary emmisions.
>If you get zapped by the secondary, chances are it will do little more
>than curl your hair or give you a tickling sensation, but 15kv could
>knock you around the room!

This is a severe understatement.  We're talking instant death, not being
"knocked around the room".  If anyone builds these toys, BE CAREFUL.
They are especially unsuitable around children.  I would recommend
putting the entire primary circuit in a plexiglass enclosure with
a remotely activated switch in the 115VAC line.  And if you have kids,
keep the thing locked and under guard!

--  Carl