[net.physics] Tesla power stations

chongo@nsc.UUCP (Landon Noll) (03/26/85)

In article <181@ihlpm.UUCP> snafu@ihlpm.UUCP (wallis) writes:
 >Actually, Tesla could and did braodcast power
 >through the air. He did it with a super-sized
 >Tesla coil...  The power could be received miles away by a
 >receiving antenna.  What most people don't realize is that a
 >Tesla coil operates at radio freq...  His transmitting station
 >was really just a radio antenna...

What would the environmental impact of such a station be?   What about
health and safty?  Such a system would have a much greater loss than
our current system.  That loss translates into the need for much more
fuel/generating ability.  That in turn implies more pollution...
I would think that it would do wonders for radios.  ;-)  Comments?

chongo <zzzzzzazzazaaaaAaAAaAAAAPAPPPPPPP#PP###!##!!!!$!$$$$****==----> /\ee/\
--
no comment is a comment.

dennis@terak.UUCP (Dennis Kodimer) (03/28/85)

One of the more interesting consequences of EM power distribution
is its most enticing feature: power is available EVERYWHERE, except
in shielded rooms.  This implies that conductive objects of certain
wavelengths (unknown to the victim) become sources of shock, heat
and other surprises.  Wire clothes lines melt, train rails spark.
If it had caught on, I suspect radio for communication using trans-
mitters other than the primary power station would not develop.

Seems, in winter one might not need heavy clothing (:-).
And, no more batteries for those christmas toys (:-).
And, no electric meters and individual bills (:-).
Ah yes - all the world - a microwave oven (:-).
--
Sincerely,		   *----*
			  /    / \