[net.physics] TPMMTP

dennis@terak.UUCP (Dennis Kodimer) (04/23/85)

***

Since the season seems to have turned to PMM discussions, which is
really a quest for the free energy endowed to us by Mother Nature,
I propose the following air conditioner and water heater (the former
is the most useful feature of the device in Arizona) for net-think.

Construct a vessel of two ellipsoids with different diameters and
common focal points.  Combine half of each ellipsoid with a spherical
surface which has one of the focii as a center.  After carefully
soldering and polishing the interior so the walls reflect radiation
'perfectly', you have a device with a cross section that looks like...

                    /*********
                   /          ***
                  /              ****
               ***                   ***
             **                         ***
           **                              **
          *                                  *
         *      x                   x         *
          *      f1                  f2      *
           **                              **
Ellipsoid 1  **                         ***
               ***                   ***
                  \              ****
Spherical section  \          ***   Ellipsoid 2
                    \*********

My apologies for the graphics.  Now, mount a small bulb at each focus
so that a fluid (e.g. freon, water, etc) can flow to and from the bulb
thru small pipes which enter thru the walls.  In the following, we can
ignore 1) the non-perfection of the interior surface and 2) abberation
due to the fluid pipes.  These become negligible by building larger
and larger vessels.  (The one I use is 69 cm end to end, made of spun
and polished aluminum 6064 sheet, with copper bulbs and pipes :-)

Now, the geometry of an ellipsoid will focus all radiation from focus
f1 onto f2; all rays from f1 meet an ellipsoidal surface and are thus
sent to f2.  However, not all radiation from focus f2 is focused onto
f1; the fraction which meets the spherical surface is returned to f2.

So, as time goes by (another assumption, albeit a persistent one), the
bulb at focus f2 will receive more radiation than the bulb at focus f1.
This is immediatelly put to work to heat water.  And, the bulb at f1
looses energy since it does not have a balance of radiation emitted
versus received.  We compensate for this by heating the bulb from our
living room air.  Evacuating the vessel will increase efficiency.

Now, as we sip our hot tea and take in a cool breeze wafting our way
for free, can someone devise why this device works (or doesn't it?).

(:-) Larger commercial versions could generate electricity, aluminum,
conundrums, etc.  One can add a mechanism to defocus the device to
reduce the energy flow, lest it melt down and/or freeze up (:-(.
--
Sincerely,		   *----*
			  /    / \

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (04/25/85)

In article <517@terak.UUCP> dennis@terak.UUCP (Dennis Kodimer) writes:
>***
>
>Construct a vessel of two ellipsoids with different diameters and
>common focal points.  Combine half of each ellipsoid with a spherical
>surface which has one of the focii as a center.
> [all the radiation from f1 is]
>sent to f2.  However, not all radiation from focus f2 is focused onto
>f1; the fraction which meets the spherical surface is returned to f2.
>
>So, as time goes by (another assumption, albeit a persistent one), the
>bulb at focus f2 will receive more radiation than the bulb at focus f1.
>			  /    / \
>Dennis Kodimer		 /    /still waiting for the
>			*----* electrician or someone

Very ingenious!  Here's an even simpler version:  an ellipsoidal
reflector, with a large bulb at one focus and a small one at the other.
For the total radiation flux each way to be the same, the small one
has to be hotter.  Now construct an ordinary heat engine between them.

Now, if I understand thermodynamics as well as I think (not that that's
very well), the bulbs in either case will be the same temperature,
and the total radiation from one to the other will be the same both
ways.  Each bulb will "see" the other bulb, or part of itself, in all
directions, and this reflected bulb surface will all be the same temperature.
In the different sized bulb case, the dilemma is easily solved
by geometry--part of the bigger bulb will be farther off-focus than
any of the smaller, so some of its radiations miss the smaller bulb
and rebound to it.  This makes the problem equivalent to two equal-
sized bulbs in an ellipse and another (arbitrary-sized) one in a sphere.

I believe the geometry geometry in Dennis' problem works out the
same way, though I haven't proved it.  The trick is that one of the
foci is close to the "tight" reflector and far from the broad one,
and the reverse for the other focus.  I conjecture that this means
that for bulbs of equal size in Dennis' gadget, much of the radiation
from f1 would miss f2 and hit f1, solving the mystery.

--JoSH

jhc@alice.UUCP (JHCondon) (05/01/85)

***
***

Some people wonder if the shape of two ellipsoids and a sphere can be created;
here is the proof by construction:
1. make a skinny ellipsoid with foci f1 and f2,
2. make a cone with vertex at f1 and axis along f1,f2 ,
3. draw a sphere with center at f2 and intersects the circle of intersection
	of the cone and skinny ellipsoid,
the sphere and cone will also intersect in another circle further out
along the cone,
4. construct the fat ellipsoid with foci f1 and f2 and through this second
intersection of cone and sphere.

With this construction it is clear that all the light from f1 hits
either one or the other of the two ellipsoids, and that all the light from
f2 hits one of the ellipsoids (thereby going to f1) or the sphere (thereby going
back to f2). No rays hit the sphere then an ellipsoid or vice versa.

This paradox was first published 50+-5 years ago by Edward U. Condon.

Another PMM ?
In some places of the world, the Bay of Biafra is one, sunlight causes
heating and evaporation which results in first tens of feet of
water being more saline and warmer than the water several hundred feet down.

Take a 200 foot long pipe and suspend it vertically with its top end
about ten feet below the surface. Now start and upward flow in the pipe
by exhaling air into the bottom end, the bubbles rising in the pipe will
drag the water along with it. As the less saline water warms
by thermal conduction through the wall of the pipe it becomes less
dense than the more saline water on the outside of the pipe. This density
difference then maintains the flow once started.

On the other hand one could start the flow downward by dropping rocks
down the pipe. (Be careful not to drop them on the diver.)
It this case the more saline water inside the pipe cools becoming denser
than the outside water and so the flow will continue downward.

Whichever direction you choose you can put a turbine with electric generator
on the end of the pipe. Any excess power should be converted into matter
in the form of rocks in case you need to restart.

Is this a perpetual motion machine?
Let's hear more about machines that run either direction.

In article <3676@alice.UUCP> jhc@alice.UUCP (JHCondon) writes:
>***
>
>Another PMM ?
>In some places of the world, the Bay of Biafra is one, sunlight causes
>heating and evaporation which results in first tens of feet of
>water being more saline and warmer than the water several hundred feet down.
>
>Take a 200 foot long pipe and suspend it vertically with its top end
>about ten feet below the surface. Now start and upward flow in the pipe
>by exhaling air into the bottom end, the bubbles rising in the pipe will
>drag the water along with it. As the less saline water warms
>by thermal conduction through the wall of the pipe it becomes less
>dense than the more saline water on the outside of the pipe. This density
>difference then maintains the flow once started.
>
>On the other hand one could start the flow downward by dropping rocks
>down the pipe. (Be careful not to drop them on the diver.)
>It this case the more saline water inside the pipe cools becoming denser
>than the outside water and so the flow will continue downward.
>
>Whichever direction you choose you can put a turbine with electric generator
>on the end of the pipe. Any excess power should be converted into matter
>in the form of rocks in case you need to restart.
>
>Is this a perpetual motion machine?
>Let's hear more about machines that run either direction.

	No, this is not perpetual motion, since it gets energy from
outside. It is in fact a rather inefficient form of hydrothermal
power. The energy input comes from the Sun heating the water, which
energy can then be extracted by any appropriate method.

	BTW, I doubt there would be much excess power to be
extracted, so it is probably not a useful form of Solar Power.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

cberry@muddcs.UUCP (Craig Berry) (05/06/85)

In article <3676@alice.UUCP> jhc@alice.UUCP (JHCondon) writes:

>In some places of the world, the Bay of Biafra is one, sunlight causes
>heating and evaporation which results in first tens of feet of
>water being more saline and warmer than the water several hundred feet down.
>
>Take a 200 foot long pipe and suspend it vertically with its top end
>about ten feet below the surface. Now start and upward flow in the pipe
>by exhaling air into the bottom end, the bubbles rising in the pipe will
>drag the water along with it. As the less saline water warms
>by thermal conduction through the wall of the pipe it becomes less
>dense than the more saline water on the outside of the pipe. This density
>difference then maintains the flow once started.

[...]

> you can put a turbine with electric generator
>on the end of the pipe. Any excess power should be converted into matter
>in the form of rocks in case you need to restart.
>
>Is this a perpetual motion machine?

 Sorry, no.  Consider that this system is not in thermal equilibrium;
we have warm water at the surface and cold water below.  It is this
temperature difference which drives the "heat engine" you have described.
Note, however, that your pipe, and the entire warm water / cold water
interface, continuously conduct heat from the warm layer to the cold layer
as long as there is a temperature difference between the layers.  As soon
as this temperature difference has been eliminated, your PMM shuts down.

 Of course, in your system the sun will continuously pump additional
energy into the upper layer.  This will allow the system to operate as
long as the sun continues to shine.  An interesting side note to this
observation is that power plants which extract power from ocean thermal
energy conversion (OTEC) systems similar in principle to the one you
describe have actually been built and seem to work quite well, although
some problems still remain which prevent scaling them up to a really
useful level of power output.  Using the sun to power a PMM is clearly
cheating, however, since any net power you pull out of such a PMM is
obviously "paid for" by the nonreversible fusion of solar hydrogen.

 Somebody else pointed out recently that if you think you can describe
the operation of a PMM using currently known physics, then what you
have is not a PMM, since known physics excludes PMMs.  Your system
is another illustration of the value of this heuristic.  If PMMs ever
exist, they will operate on principles which cannot be explained using
physics as it is currently understood.  Rather a depressing thought,
really.

 Oh well, enough for now.  I promised my research director that I would
have the circle squared by tomorrow afternoon, and I've hit some unexpected
snags... :-)

                               Craig Berry

{allegra!scgvaxd | ucla-cs}!muddcs!cberry
"This is no social crisis, just another tricky day for you." - The Who