[net.physics] Keeping beer cold

mitch@cepu.UUCP (Bob Mitchell ) (05/08/85)

No metaphysical BS here!

The situation: A styrofoam ice chest containing beer and a large block of ice.

The problem: How to make the ice last for as long as possible.

The question: As the ice melts, should the water be drained from the cooler?
If the block of ice is allowed to float in the water, will it melt faster,
or will the volume of cold water keep the overall temperature lower, and
thus help the ice last longer?

I can see a few obvious things that would help, like starting out with
cold beer instead of warm, and it's clear that a solid block of ice is
better than cubes (smaller surface area?), but I can't decide about the
meltwater.

I'll be testing your theories in a few weeks, so no quick answers!

--
Bob Mitchell
UCLA Dept of Neurology

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (05/09/85)

In article <463@cepu.UUCP> mitch@cepu.UUCP (Bob Mitchell (ADM)) writes:

>The situation: A styrofoam ice chest containing beer and a large block of ice.
>
>The problem: How to make the ice last for as long as possible.
>
>The question: As the ice melts, should the water be drained from the cooler?

First an assumption:  that the ice, air and water in the ice chest are about
the same temperature, so that it is ONLY heat transfer across the inner
surface of the styrofoam that matters, as long as the ice chest remains
closed.

In favor of leaving the water in:
	You're removing a certain number of "negative btu" in the cold water,
	which must be replaced by warm air.  A counterflow heat exchanger
	would be of minimal value, since a given volume of water contains
	so much more heat (cool?) than a corresponding volume of air, and
	the exchange of air and water would be equal in volume.

In favor of taking the water out:
	Water picks up heat from a surface much more quickly than does air,
	at least in the case of 98.6F vs. 32F.  (I.e. you'd last much longer
	standing naked in a snowstorm than swimming in the Arctic.) I suspect
	this also holds for a small temperature difference.  So the ice box
	would lose more "cool" across the water-styrofoam interface than
	across the air-styrofoam interface.  I'll leave the nitty-gritty
	physics of this to the physicists, but I suspect it has something to
	do with the fact that there's more specific heat within easy
	conduction distance at the water boundary.

There is, of course, a compromise solution.  Leave the water in, but don't
let it touch the styrofoam.  A heavy plastic bag might do nicely.

Of course, there is some insulating value in the plastic bag, so the
assumption stated above doesn't necessarily hold.  But given the way the
problem was stated, the correct solution to the problem is pointed at by
our plastic bag.  The problem was only to make the ice last as long as
possible, but no mention was made that the beer had to be kept ice-cold.
If you thicken up that plastic bag a little, and add a few "R-values" to
it, the ice will last even longer, but the beer won't be as cold.  The way
to have the ice last longest is to put the most insulation around it,
separating it from the beer, which of course defeats the purpose of putting
the beer in the ice chest in the first place, but you didn't say you wanted
cold beer.  :-)  Do I win the prize?

Another way of insulating the ice might be to keep it up out of the water,
since there is in fact some temperature difference at the ice-air or
ice-water boundary, or the ice would never melt.  Of course, putting the
block of ice up on top of the beer makes the beer hard to get at, and the
water beneath (and the beer) will be slightly warmer than ice-cold.

>...and it's clear that a solid block of ice is
>better than cubes (smaller surface area?)...

Not entirely clear.  It's only true if the extra surface area contributes
to greater heat flow from the non-ice to the ice.  If the ice cubes were
in a plastic bag, convection of air or water through the "core" would be
largely prevented, and the temperature of the air or water in the middle
would remain very close to freezing.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (05/13/85)

I agree with the people who have said there is a trade-off between
more heat transfer across a water-styrofoam interface vs an
air-styrofoam interface  and the loss of cold if the water is
drained off.  But I don't think that adding insulation is a proper
answer - since the question was about presence vs. absence of the
water.
  I think the ice-cubes are worse if less mass of ice can be put in
the chest (packing problems) than in a single cube.  Otherwise I
don't see any difference.
--henry schaffer  n c state univ