[net.physics] A question about physics and NOT metaphysics

mat@mtx5b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (05/05/85)

I hope that a question about real things in the real world isn't out of
place here.

	Consider the specific heat of various materials.  The specific
heat of metals is very low ... approximately one fifth to one tenth that of
water.  Ceramics and glassy materials have specific heats that are
approximately the specific heat of water, give or take a factor of one part
in three.

	Now it is possible to take certain metals in the molten phase and
cool them very rapidly, as by spraying them against a rotating wheel cooled
by liquid nitrogen.  The result is an amorphous, non-crystaline solid made
from the metal in question: a metallic glass.

	Is the specific heat of such a material more reminiscent of the
specific heat of the metallic phase of the material, or is it reminiscent
of the specific heat of glass?
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (05/09/85)

Followup-To:net.physics
Keywords:specific heats, metallic glasses, ceramics

In article <1397@mtx5b.UUCP> mat@mtx5b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) writes:
>I hope that a question about real things in the real world isn't out of
>place here.
>
>	Consider the specific heat of various materials.  The specific
>heat of metals is very low ... approximately one fifth to one tenth that of
>water.  Ceramics and glassy materials have specific heats that are
>approximately the specific heat of water, give or take a factor of one part
>in three.
>
>	Now it is possible to take certain metals in the molten phase and
>cool them very rapidly, as by spraying them against a rotating wheel cooled
>by liquid nitrogen.  The result is an amorphous, non-crystaline solid made
>from the metal in question: a metallic glass.
>
>	Is the specific heat of such a material more reminiscent of the
>specific heat of the metallic phase of the material, or is it reminiscent
>of the specific heat of glass?

If you examine specific heats in some reasonable units (such as calories
per degree kelvin per atom) you will find that there is no systematic
variation is specific heats as one moves between materials belonging
to the classes you consider.  Thus it is unsurprising that the specific
heat of a metallic glass is about the same as that of a metallic liquid
or a metallic crystal or water or a stained-glass window.  The variations
do not particularly have to do with crystalline vs. amorphous or insulator
vs. conductor.  These are about room temperature considerations (specific
heat dominated by 'lattice vibrations'.
If someone undertakes such a comparison and disagrees, I would be interested
to hear about it.  I only spent about 15 minutes looking at the numbers,
although the result seems reasonable to me.
--
Charles Cleveland			 Georgia Tech Surface Studies
Georgia Tech School of Physics

gv@hou2e.UUCP (A.VANNUCCI) (05/14/85)

In article <1397@mtx5b.UUCP> mat@mtx5b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) writes:
>I hope that a question about real things in the real world isn't out of
>place here.
>
>	Consider the specific heat of various materials.  The specific
>heat of metals is very low ... approximately one fifth to one tenth that of
>water.  Ceramics and glassy materials have specific heats that are
>approximately the specific heat of water, give or take a factor of one part
>in three.
>
>	Now it is possible to take certain metals in the molten phase and
>cool them very rapidly, as by spraying them against a rotating wheel cooled
>by liquid nitrogen.  The result is an amorphous, non-crystaline solid made
>from the metal in question: a metallic glass.
>
>	Is the specific heat of such a material more reminiscent of the
>specific heat of the metallic phase of the material, or is it reminiscent
>of the specific heat of glass?

  From the book "University Chemistry" by Bruce H. Mahan, (c) 1969 by
Addison Wesley.

"  Section 3.7

	According to the law of Dulong and Petit, the heat capacity of one
gram atom of a solid element is approximately 6.3 cal/deg.  We have seen
that the application of this rule is not limited to elements, for
experiments show that the heat capacity of many solids, elemental or
compound, is 6 cal/deg *per mole of atoms*.  Of course, there are
exceptions to this law. There are many substances whose heat capacities,
measured at room temperature, are much smaller than predicted.  These
exceptional substances are high-melting crystals that are made up of light
atoms, such as boron, carbon and berillyum. Moreover, the Dulong and Petit
law fails for all substances if the heat capacity is measured at low
temperatures.  That is, the heat capacity of a solid is not constant, but
increases with increasing temperature. At the absolute zero of temperature
the heat capacity of all substances is zero. As the temperature is raised,
the heat capacity increases, but at different rates for different
substances. Finally, in the limit of very high temperatures, the heat
capacity of all solids is 6.3 cal/deg *per mole of atoms*.

	The key to understanding the temperature dependence of the heat
capacities of solids was supplied by Einstein in 1905....."

	Indeed, that is the work for which Einstein received the Nobel
prize.  It turns out that the departure from the Dulong and Petit law
at low temperatures is a quantum-mechanical effect and played a key
role in the development of Quantum Mechanics.

		Giovanni Vannucci
		AT&T Bell Laboratories      HOH R-207
		Holmdel, NJ 07733
		hou2e!gv

gv@hou2e.UUCP (A.VANNUCCI) (05/20/85)

  In a previous posting I wrote:

>   From the book "University Chemistry" by Bruce H. Mahan, (c) 1969 by
> Addison Wesley.
>
> "  Section 3.7
>
> 	According to the law of Dulong and Petit, the heat capacity of one
> gram atom of a solid element is approximately 6.3 cal/deg.  We have seen
> that the application of this rule is not limited to elements, for
> experiments show that the heat capacity of many solids, elemental or
> compound, is 6 cal/deg *per mole of atoms*.  Of course, there are
> exceptions to this law. There are many substances whose heat capacities,
> measured at room temperature, are much smaller than predicted.  These
> exceptional substances are high-melting crystals that are made up of light
> atoms, such as boron, carbon and berillyum. Moreover, the Dulong and Petit
> law fails for all substances if the heat capacity is measured at low
> temperatures.  That is, the heat capacity of a solid is not constant, but
> increases with increasing temperature. At the absolute zero of temperature
> the heat capacity of all substances is zero. As the temperature is raised,
> the heat capacity increases, but at different rates for different
> substances. Finally, in the limit of very high temperatures, the heat
> capacity of all solids is 6.3 cal/deg *per mole of atoms*.
>
> 	The key to understanding the temperature dependence of the heat
> capacities of solids was supplied by Einstein in 1905....."
>

> 	Indeed, that is the work for which Einstein received the Nobel
> prize.  It turns out that the departure from the Dulong and Petit law
> at low temperatures is a quantum-mechanical effect and played a key
> role in the development of Quantum Mechanics.

  I doublechecked my statement about Einstein's Nobel prize and I
found that I made a mistake.  The Encyclopaedia Britannica says that
Einstein's 1921 Nobel Prize was for "services to theoretical physics,
especially the discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect".

  I would like to thank those who sent me mail pointing out this
mistake.