[net.physics] "speed of light" puzzle

graner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Nicolas Graner) (05/10/85)

I find it sad that people interested in physics (at least enough to
read net.physics) don't have *some* basic ideas about relativity,
as shown by the recent discussion about speed of light. Sigh.

Anyway, here is the puzzle:

I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)

How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

(I know the beam between earth and moon will be curved, but this is irrelevant)

Nic.                      {ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-ngp!graner

*If Murphy's law can go wrong, it won't*

> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

It can't.

dxm@lanl.ARPA (05/10/85)

> I find it sad that people interested in physics (at least enough to
> read net.physics) don't have *some* basic ideas about relativity,
> as shown by the recent discussion about speed of light. Sigh.
>
> Anyway, here is the puzzle:
>
> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
> rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
> at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
> V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
> with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
> V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

I suppose somebody should answer this "puzzle" for the sake of
completeness in the universe.  Nothing is moving faster than c here.
As anyone who took PHY 353 at UT Austin will tell you, the spot on the
moon can go as fast as it likes because it is not an entity except in
your mind.  The spot that exists over Tycho crater, say, is not the same
spot ( and here I mean same energy or aggregate of photons ) as the spot
several kilometers away a few seconds later.  Since there is no actual
motion involved here (except for the light going from laser to moon),
relativity isn't destroyed which is a great relief to us all. :-)

And now, a counter-puzzle: replace the above laser with a long ( *very*
long) rod.  It is easy to move it at the 10 rad/s speed mentioned above;
how fast is the rod moving out near the moon ?  Pseudo-hint: rigid body
mechanics ain't gonna help you here.  Make any assumptions you like
about the rod (mass distribution, moment of inertia, rigidity, etc), just
don't replace it with a string (in which case the problem becomes "how long
does it take to roll up a very long string ?").

 Doug Miller     currently at         dxm@lanl
                                 ....!ihnp4!lanl!dxm
Los Alamos National Laboratory,  P.O.B 1663 MS J960,  Los Alamos, NM 87545

		 but soon to be at ...ihnp4!ut-ngp!bomber
				   bomber@ut-ngp.arpa

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (05/11/85)

> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
> rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
> at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
> V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
> with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
> V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

  No particle is moving faster than C.

  This is the difference between group velocity and phase velocity.

--
Bruce Karsh                           |
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics |

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (05/11/85)

> I find it sad that people interested in physics (at least enough to
> read net.physics) don't have *some* basic ideas about relativity,
> as shown by the recent discussion about speed of light. Sigh.
>
> Anyway, here is the puzzle:
>
> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
> rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
> at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
> V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
> with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
> V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?
>
> (I know the beam between earth and moon will be curved, but this is irrelevant)
>
> Nic.                      {ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-ngp!graner
>
> *If Murphy's law can go wrong, it won't*

Actually there is a more real world example of this pseudo puzzle.  Consider
the movement of a spot on a high speed oscilloscope.  The answer to the puzzle
is that only the geometric intersection of the beam and the moon is moving
at a speed greater than c.  No mass is moving that fast and no information
is being transmitted that fast.  An article discussing this paradox appeared
in Scientific American a few years ago.

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (05/12/85)

Pardon me while I repeat the question from graner@ut-ngp (Nicolas Graner):

>I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
>the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
>rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
>at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
>V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
>with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
>V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
>How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?
>
>(I know the beam between earth and moon will be curved,
>but this is irrelevant)

There is no object or particle in this situation which is moving faster
than the speed of light, only the point defined by the intersection of
the beam with the surface of the moon is doing so.  To contradict any of
the accepted physical laws you would have to demonstrate a way of using
this system to communicate some information faster than light.  That the
beam is curved is not irrelevant but instead points up the fact that any
decision you may make about changing the motion of the beam at the source
will not reach the moon at any speed faster than c.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/13/85)

> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
> rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
> at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
> V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
> with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
> V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?
> Nic.                      {ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-ngp!graner

     This one's pretty old.  In a more familiar example, the spot on
the CRT of some very high-speed oscilloscopes can move faster than the
speed of light.  This doesn't violate relativity, as no actual object
is moving FTL, only the place where the electron beam is currently hitting
the phosphor.  Since 'a place' doesn't really have any mass, the position
of the place can change faster than any physical object's position is
allowed to change.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/13/85)

> I find it sad that people interested in physics (at least enough to
> read net.physics) don't have *some* basic ideas about relativity,
> as shown by the recent discussion about speed of light. Sigh.
>
> Anyway, here is the puzzle:
>
> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
> rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
> at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
> V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
> with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
> V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

Hmmm... This one is pretty old.  Nothing travels from the beam end at
one time to the beam end at another time.

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (05/15/85)

> I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
> the moon during each revolution.
> How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

Enough already!  It's time to launch a reductio ad adsurdum:

Let's talk about the sun.  It's big.  It's hot.  Now consider
Alpha Centauri.  It too is big and hot.

But wait!  The SUBJECT OF CONVERSATION has moved more than 4
lightyears in less than a second, a velocity in excess of
100 million times C.  How can this be?!?!?!?!?

--JoSH

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (05/15/85)

In article <1720@ut-ngp.UUCP> graner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Nicolas Graner) writes:

>I have a laser on a turntable in such a way that the beam falls on
>the moon during each revolution. If my laser rotates at omega
>rad/s and the moon is at distance D, the spot moves on the moon
>at speed V = omega*D. Since I can make omega as big as I want,
>V can be made very big, and certainly much more than C. (e.g.
>with D ~ 300,000km and omega = 10rad/s, a very gentle speed,
>V = 3,000,000km/s = 10*C)
>
>How can anything move at 10*C without violating relativity ?

	The 'thing' that is moving is not a mass object. It is
	not even an energy object, (ie a photon). It is only
	an image and hence not bound by the restriction of the
	maximum speed of 'c'.

Cheers,		Fred Williams.

PS. By the way, if you want another relativistic puzzle,
consider the following,(I'll post the answer in a few days
after I've had a chuckle):

	If the speed of light is constant in all reference frames,
how come we can see doppler shifts?

	This is a good exercise in learning how to apply laws
	such as the conservation of energy.

jeff@heurikon.UUCP (Jeffrey Mattox) (05/16/85)

Another "real world" example:
Consider the point of intersection of the blades of a scissors.
Picture a BIG scissors -  mile long blades.  As you close the
scissors, the point of intersection could move faster than the
speed of light even though the blades are moving "slowly".
--
/"""\	Jeffrey Mattox, Heurikon Corp, Madison, WI
|O.O|	{harpo, hao, philabs}!seismo!uwvax!heurikon!jeff  (news & mail)
\_=_/				     ihnp4!heurikon!jeff  (mail - best)

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (05/18/85)

>Another "real world" example:
>Consider the point of intersection of the blades of a scissors.
>Picture a BIG scissors -  mile long blades.  As you close the
>scissors, the point of intersection could move faster than the
>speed of light even though the blades are moving "slowly".

Consider a paper punch!!  Every point on the circle is being
cut at the same time!! So the "cut point" must go around the
circle at infinite velocity.  And since it's going around
a circle, it's accelerated!!  Wow!!  Einstein was wrong!!

Well, I'm off to Switzerland to collect my Nobel Prize.  See
ya all later!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

(I bet you can't wait till I disprove Quantum Mechanics too!!)

                   :-)

--

stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) (05/20/85)

> Consider the point of intersection of the blades of a scissors.
> Picture a BIG scissors -  mile long blades.  As you close the
> scissors, the point of intersection could move faster than the
> speed of light even though the blades are moving "slowly".

This isn't true.  The blades of the scissors are held together
by E&M forces between the atoms.  When the handle is squeezed,
the E&M force won't be transmitted to the far end of the blades
any faster than C.  The result is that the blades will "bend".
The point of intersection of the blades will propigate no faster
the "bend" - the speed of light.

					Jim

goran@erix.UUCP (Goeran Baage) (05/21/85)

In article <186@geowhiz.UUCP> karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) writes:
>Well, I'm off to Switzerland to collect my Nobel Prize.  See
>ya all later!!

Switzerland is not where you collect it, that's where you bring the
the money to avoid taxes (a numbered bank account perhaps). :-) :-)

     Goeran Baage

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (05/22/85)

In article <471@hou2g.UUCP> stekas@hou2g.UUCP (J.STEKAS) writes:
>> Consider the point of intersection of the blades of a scissors....
>
>This isn't true.  The blades of the scissors are held together
>by E&M forces between the atoms.  When the handle is squeezed,
>the E&M force won't be transmitted to the far end of the blades
>any faster than C.  The result is that the blades will "bend".
>The point of intersection of the blades will propigate no faster
>the "bend" - the speed of light.

Who says anyone has to squeeze the handle to have the scissors closing?
Ever heard of velocity?

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

emh@bonnie.UUCP (Edward M. Hummel) (05/27/85)

>> Consider the point of intersection of the blades of a scissors.
>> Picture a BIG scissors -  mile long blades.  As you close the
>> scissors, the point of intersection could move faster than the
>> speed of light even though the blades are moving "slowly".
>This isn't true.  The blades of the scissors are held together
>by E&M forces between the atoms.  When the handle is squeezed,
>the E&M force won't be transmitted to the far end of the blades
>any faster than C.  The result is that the blades will "bend".
>The point of intersection of the blades will propigate no faster
>the "bend" - the speed of light.

Sorry, Jim, but it is true.  The propagation of "motion" along a
rigid body is indeed limited by the "forces between the atoms".
A push on one end of an object takes a while to propagate to the
other end of the object (the speed of sound gives a first order
estimate).  But once the motion has been obtained the point of
intersection of a large pair of scissors indeed can travel faster
than c.

Ed Hummel
...!ihnp4!clyde!bonnie!emh

rosalia@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (06/04/85)

In article <186@geowhiz.UUCP> karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) writes:
>Well, I'm off to Switzerland to collect my Nobel Prize.  See
>ya all later!!
Sweden, not Switzerland. Be careful not to miss you prize because
you got the country wrong!
				Mark Galassi