[net.physics] Right for Left

crummer@AEROSPACE.ARPA (06/08/85)

From:  Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE.ARPA>

> Date:     Thu, 30 May 85 15:40:22 EDT
> From:     Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl.ARPA>
> Subject:  Re:  Reversal

> Andrew Knutsen is right; a mirror does not reverse right & left
> but appears to do so only because of the way we think about
> comparing the image seen "in" the mirror against the original
> object, namely via a 180-degree rotation about a vertical axis
> combined with a translation to superimpose the two.

  A mirror reverses right and left HANDEDNESS.  It is sort of like
  turning the image inside-out.  A left glove becomes a right glove
  when it is turned inside-out.  In differential geometry the term for
  mirror reversal is screw-sense transformation; in physics it is called
  parity.

> Could we leave the SDI discussion out of net.physics?

  It's hard when the subject is Right and Left.

  --Charlie