[net.physics] Ball Lightning

>                               ... If I see ball lightning rolling down the
>street towards me, than this is strong, legitimate evidence for the empirical
>existence of ball lightning. ...

>				Topher

Speaking of ball lightning, I seem to remember that Nikola Tesla was the
only person to artificially create this phenomenon, and noone knows quite
how he did it.  Is this still true?  Is anyone doing any experimentation?

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

root@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/12/84)

In article <283@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

>Speaking of ball lightning, I seem to remember that Nikola Tesla was the
>only person to artificially create this phenomenon, and noone knows quite
>how he did it.  Is this still true?  Is anyone doing any experimentation?

Someone at Livermore has apparently recreated the phenomenon.
He found some sort of surplus high-voltage equipment on the base
and made it explode (somehow); ultra-high-speed photography
revealed a bright "ball" that bounced several times on the ground.
I saw this on a recent television show in Los Angeles.
Anyone know who this guy is?

	Douglas

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (11/13/84)

Actually, Nikola Tesla was the only person (as far as I know) who could
*reliably and repeatedly* produce ball lightning.  My information has
it that ball lightning sometimes shows up around high-voltage posts, but
nobody knows how it is created.

Eric C. Brown

..!decvax!harpo!utah-cs!brownc

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (04/03/85)

> do 3D field modeling to explore this, using a Cray somethingorother.
		Experiments are "mucho" cheaper in this case!

> Is there any physics explaining ball lightning?  (I've heard NO from
> a variety of sources).

Ball lightning is generated in nature by lightning strikes.  It also
has been formed by the collapse of magnetic field energy  in toroidal
field coils.  Ball lightning is more likely to be formed globally (near
the ground) in the bands between the tropics and the arctic.  This
is correlated with the distance from the earth's magnetic poles, and the
frequency of observation is proportional to the out of doors population
and, of course, where thunder storms are most common.

Ball lightning is a magnetoplasmoid.  From the outside it is a spheroidal
plasma surface, upon which forms fragile blanket of NO2, O3, and NO5
(very explosive) gases.  The gases generate odor (fire and brimstone)
and filter out (absorb) most visible light) but do pass a little more
of the reds and oranges.  The photochemical blanket can be blown
off with air tubulence.

The "guts" or inside of ball lightning consists of a toroidal plasma
current ring suspended within the spheroidal shell by its own self-
generated external poloidal field.  This field generates more
pressure within the "hole" of the ring then around the "outside" rim;
consequently, a confining pressure is needed to keep the ring from
simply expanding continuously.  Ninety percent plus of this force is
provided by the second self generated field (toroidal) which exists
within the plasma ring itself.  The remaining (10%) force necessary
is provided by the plasma pressure of the conducting plasma shell or
mantle.   The plasma pressure at the center of the toroidal axis is
~12 times the pressure at the mantle or air boundary (1 atmosphere).
And, this plasma configuration is ideally MHD stable (Rosenbuth
and Bussac, Nucl Fus, 19, 489,1979).  Yes, it's harnessable for
thermonuclear fusion.  In fact, fusion almost looks like a "piece of
cake" with this technology.

Step 1. A tokamak (russian invention) is a stellarator with a toroidal
	plasma current replacing the stellarator's poloidal field
	(toroidal current) coil.
Step 2. A spheromak (American invention) is a tokamak with the toroidal
	field (poloidal curent) coils replaced by plasma currents, and
	the vertical field coil replaced by conduction shell (usually).
Step 3. A PLASMAK(tm) configuration (American) is a spheromak with the
	conducting shell replaced by a plasma shell and all thermal
	electron currents replaced by runaway electron currents (relativistic).
			US Patent 4,023,065

*  tm -  Trade mark of Prometheus II, Limited.
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| pmk@prometheus: (301) 445-1075			| FUSION |
| Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222	|  this  |
| ..!{umcp-cs,seismo}!prometh!pmk 			| decade |
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

--
|-------------------------------------------------------|--------|

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (04/05/85)

> It's a good theorem (virial).  The explanation you gave for ball lightning
> seemed to get around it by considering the external pressure (from the air)
> as well as the internal fields. [Incidentally, I never heard this explanation
> Can you give a reference?]

It's my own theory, but the half physical embodiment of it (Spheromak) has
caught on and we only need a few ten k$ to form the real thing in air.   The
advantages of the PMK are just now being recognized by the fusion fuddys and
within a year, the work will begin to be published.

The connection of ball lightning with fusion and toroidal geometries started
in the 1950's.  Names to check are Chandrasekhar, Lust & Schluter, Kapitsa,
Bostick, Sweet, and Shafranov.  VD Shafranov, "On Magnetohydrodynamical
Equilibrium Configurations", J. Exptl. Theoret.Phys., 33, 710, 1957
(translation in Sov Physics--JETP, 5,545 1958 is a quite good one because the
stable configuration discussed includes the plasma ring with the poloidal and
toroidal currents and fields, non-respectively, with the presence of the
external atmosphere supporting the plasma with direct contact.  It is also
pointed out that plasma currents near the surface would be sufficient to ionize
neutrals.  But this configuration lacks, 1) energetic electrons and a trapped
external poloidal flux.

Consequently, its energy density is too low and it has the "wrong" shape to be
ball lightning.  Trapping the external poloidal flux infers an insulating
vacuum poloidal field (because of the hole) and conducting spheroidal shell or
Mantle.

It turns out that the tokamak has the same magnetic topology, but different
physical embodiment.  The spheromak is much more closely related to ball
lightning, and papers by M Bussac, HP Furth, (Rosenbluth), et al., IAEA CN-37,
Innsbruck, 1978, corrected by M Rosenbluth** & M Bussac, "MHD Stability of the
Spheromak", Nuc Fus 19, 489, 1979. Check also Koloc & Ogden, US-Japan Joint
Symposium on Compact Toruses, (First - 1979) and (Third - 1980) and there is
even a patent on the apparatus and method US 4,023,065; 1977 (filed 1973).

> people impressed by the ("virial") theorem, they insisted that ball lightning
> that plasma can't confine itself with self-generated fields and therefore
> is a fluorescence  (glowing nebulous gas) phenomenon with little internal
> energy.

Yes, and it would be as a cloud of smoke in terms of "falling apart" with the
slightest breeze.  Actually, the model of Shafranov has 2 or three times the
background energy density of air (one joule/cc), and the PMK model has 8 to
14 times.  PMK's are like "super balls" and can bounce.  It's also dangerous
because of its energetic currents, (soft Xrays) and relativistic electron
current beam induced transmutation of elements in bricks in a chimmey where
the ball lightning explosively decayed.  Further, the rapid collapse of the
stray dipole field would set up killing image currents in the brain of any
living thing in proximity.

> Note that the person who told me this was an expert on lightning.  He was
> giving a colloquium at Fermilab.

Lightning is another story as is the tokamak.  Theory and data for lightning
just don't jive.  Maybe later.

Special Reverence
	**Marshal N. Rosenbluth of Lab. Theoretical Fusion Studies,
	University of Texas, Austin

--
|-------------------------------------------------------|--------|

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/06/85)

> 14 times.  PMK's are like "super balls" and can bounce.  It's also dangerous
> because of its energetic currents, (soft Xrays) and relativistic electron
> current beam induced transmutation of elements in bricks in a chimmey where
> the ball lightning explosively decayed.  Further, the rapid collapse of the
> stray dipole field would set up killing image currents in the brain of any
> living thing in proximity.

This is a little too much to swallow.  If you ever come by a reference in
a journal which explains the mystery of ball lightning I would like to see it.

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (04/07/85)

> > It's also dangerous
> > because of its energetic currents, (soft Xrays) and relativistic electron
> > current beam induced transmutation of elements in bricks in a chimmey where
> > ... .. etc.

> This is a little too much to swallow.  If you ever come by a reference in
> a journal which explains the mystery of ball lightning I would like to see it.

------------------------------ W A R N I N G --------------------------
This is not a journal and will discuss the nature of ball lightning.  But the
bites are smaller and only the energetic currents will be discussed, and some
evidence of X-ray damage (which usually indicates relativistic currents).

The tokamak is a toroidal device which is operated with "thermal electron"
currents during normal use.  However, the generation of "runaways occur when
the working ranges of current driving EMF's vs particle density are being
determined.  For TFTR 10e13 particle densities and 50v per loop are enough to
generate runaways. The drive profile has to be turned down after the initial
lead pulse since the collision cross section for the hotter thermals drops as
they heat up.

The drive pulse is "on" for tens of milliseconds so that runaways above 5 mev
have occurred, as evidenced by the the Wolfram (tungsten) limiters becoming
radioactive when they were bombarded by the runaways after disruption.

Similar multicircuit EMF voltage integrations of internal currents during the
formation of ball lightnings are probable.  Look at the higher driving
voltages of lightning and the faster inductive collapse times.  Our estimates
are that electrons currents will be driven by loop EMF's of several tens of kv
with accumulation times of 2 to 5 microseconds.  Several thousand circuits will
yield electron kinetic energies on the order of ten mev.  This is
also true of our proposed formation scheme, which generates the PMK structure
(Mantle and Kernel vacuum field, currents and plasma) from a single energy
storage bank. (Want to help send money or electronic framing camera or both,
and we'll return the camera after a few months and with pictures).

The only evidence of the elemental transmutation of ball lightning struck brick
came from a Brit with plenty of initials (D. E. T. F. Ashby) who is responsible
for some significant portion of the UK component of the JET work at Culham.
Check out a book "Nature of Ball Lightning" by Stanley Singer, Plenum Press 70.

Monday I will be meeting (first time) with an Air Force radiologist
(MD, PhD), that spent a year working with the French Government verifying
and estimating the extent and nature of radiation burns caused by proximate
human encounters with ball lightnings.  I'll get back to you bye email with