[net.physics] Two quick answers

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (06/05/85)

	The time traveler travels close to the speed of light in
relation to the inertial frame. He travels into the future.

	If the inertial frame travels close to the speed of light
relative to the time traveler ( switching frames ), then the inertial
frame increases in mass and the effect is preserved.

	A wave that is higher in energy than gamma is cosmic radiation.
For the most part, they travel through practically everything.
Astronomers have found that there is a uniform background intensity
for cosmic radiation, which they believe to be remnents of the Big
Bang.
					John Williams

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (06/06/85)

In article <2500@decwrl.UUCP> williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) writes:
>	A wave that is higher in energy than gamma is cosmic radiation.
>For the most part, they travel through practically everything.
>Astronomers have found that there is a uniform background intensity
>for cosmic radiation, which they believe to be remnents of the Big
>Bang.
>					John Williams

I thought it was low energy (~ 3K) background radiation.  Due to
expansion of the universe, any remnants from the Big Bang are
all long wavelength, low energy photons.
	Don Kneller

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/09/85)

> 	A wave that is higher in energy than gamma is cosmic radiation.
> For the most part, they travel through practically everything.
> Astronomers have found that there is a uniform background intensity
> for cosmic radiation, which they believe to be remnents of the Big
> Bang.
> 					John Williams

	Ahem, background radiation is much, *MUCH* lower then gamma rays.

mike@wuphys.UUCP (06/12/85)

> 	A wave that is higher in energy than gamma is cosmic radiation.
> For the most part, they travel through practically everything.
> Astronomers have found that there is a uniform background intensity
> for cosmic radiation, which they believe to be remnents of the Big
> Bang.
> 					John Williams
Cosmic rays are charged PARTICLES.  The energy range beyond gamma rays in
the EM spectrum is more gamma rays.  Cosmic rays are things like protons and
Carbon nuclei.  Yes indeed some of them have been measured at energies up to
10^21 eV and there is some contamination of the experiments from gamma rays at
comparable energies, but those gamma rays are not cosmic rays.  Before anyone
quotes me their whiley poster (or better yet Reed Richards of the Fantastic
Four), EM radiation may have been called "comic" at one time, but current
usage is to reserve cosmic rays to charged particles.  I think I can speak
with some authority about this since I just finished my dissertation on
cosmic rays at energies up to 50 TeV last week and my PhD final orals are in
9 days.

Mike Jones
Cosmic Ray Physicist
Physics Dept. Washington University