[net.physics] Advertisement claims

spears%nrl-aic@sri-unix.ARPA (06/11/85)

From:  William Spears <spears@nrl-aic>

     I have just recently come across an interesting advertisement
for a radio that runs on muscle power alone - just turn the crank
10 times and the radio (and encased flashlight!) will run for an
hour and a half.

     Judging by the measurements given for the radio, and by looking
at the picture, the crank seems to be about 4 inches long. I assume
a healthy person will generate 40 lbs of force over the circumference
traced by the crank handle (This seems like an absurdly high force).
After 1 turn the person has done slightly more than 80 ft. lbs. of
work (or roughly 110 Joules). In 10 turns roughly 1100 Joules of work
has been done.
     Assuming a 1 Watt (1 J/s) radio (and flashlight) the device can
operate for perhaps 1000 seconds (assuming high efficiency). This
is roughly 17 minutes.
     My question: How does his radio function for 1.5 hours? Can I assume
a .1 Watt radio? Also I have assumed that the person wants to build up
his/her biceps with 40 lbs of force - but this assumption helps the claim
of the advertisement.
     Does anyone have one of these radios?

     Bill Spears
     NRL-AIC

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (06/14/85)

> From:  William Spears <spears@nrl-aic>
>      I have just recently come across an interesting advertisement
> for a radio that runs on muscle power alone - just turn the crank
> 10 times and the radio (and encased flashlight!) will run for an
> hour and a half.
         [omitted calculation of energy available from hand crank]
>      My question: How does his radio function for 1.5 hours? Can I assume
> a .1 Watt radio?

Yes.  Since crystal radios draw zero power, it seems clear that a radio
can operate on quite modest power levels.  I have no way of knowing for
sure, but I suspect that the radio in this case is essentially a cheap
crystal set, and would be of quite low quality.  I'm not sure about the
flashlight claim, but imagine it to be quite dim.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw