[net.physics] Time travel

crummer@AEROSPACE.ARPA (06/18/85)

From:  Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE.ARPA>

> Date: Wed, 12-Jun-85 06:17:56 PDT
> To: physics@sri-unix
> From: merrill%raja.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA (Rick - Font Mgr. for Hardcopy Engineering)
> Subject: One Quick Question

> >Subject: Two quick answers
> >
> >	The time traveler travels close to the speed of light in
> >relation to the inertial frame. He travels into the future.
> >...				John Williams

> One thing I'd like cleared up: does the traveler moving at CONSTANT
> VELOCITY  move FURTHER into the future the longer he travels, or
> did he move into the future by Accellerating To Speed?

> 				Rick Merrill
At any speed < c there is no time travel.  To achieve a speed >= c requires
infinite force since the relativistic mass increases without bound as c is
approached.  Cosmic rays travel very close to c (as do particles in any large
accelerator) and they do not travel backwards in time.  (See Feynman's books
for the description of a positron as an electron travelling backwards in time.
Since CPT is conserved, it seems, C amounts to T where P is conserved.
C, P, T, are charge conjugation, parity, and time-reversal.)

 --Charlie