[net.physics] Possibly poor control?

wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (06/20/85)

> ...a series of lamps connected in an approximately circular shape,
> and a ring counter... driven by a 'random' source.
> When left alone, the next state (clockwise or counter-clockwise) had a
> 'random' probability.  Under the influence of some observers, it has been
> 'shown' that they can 'will' the shift register to shift right or shift
> left for a large number of trials.

	I suspect that no matter WHO did the observing, the light will
	(for selected periods of time) make rather large excursions
	to the left and right.  Even if the subject is told to make
	it go in a certain direction, he need only wait till the
	random chance comes up his way and say "There, I finaly got
	it to move in the right direction!".  The only way for this
	experiment to be controlled is to give the subject a SPECIFIC
	time interval and RANDOM direction each trial and to have
	many trials.  I'm willing to bet that the results will show
	no statistical significance.

	Remember Wasser's Law:

             | Wasser's Law of Paranormal Demonstrations: Paranormal   |
             | abilities are only demonstrable under conditions where  |
             | they are indistinguishable from fakery.                 |

	If the experiment is properly controlled, the PSI ability to
	influence the apparatus will fail.

		-John A. Wasser

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (06/20/85)

    I agree with you 100 %... I was just interested in the architecture of
the alleged circuit that the subject could allegedly will. Regardless of
the topology, and decent first-semester signal processing student could
(or should) be able to show at least N ways that the circuit is indeed not
a random state device...

David
.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (06/22/85)

In article <2784@decwrl.UUCP> wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:
>> ...a series of lamps connected in an approximately circular shape,
>> and a ring counter... driven by a 'random' source.

>       it go in a certain direction, he need only wait till the
>	random chance comes up his way and say "There, I finaly got
>	it to move in the right direction!".  The only way for this
>	experiment to be controlled is to give the subject a SPECIFIC
>	time interval and RANDOM direction each trial and to have
>	many trials.  I'm willing to bet that the results will show
>	no statistical significance.
>	If the experiment is properly controlled, the PSI ability to
>	influence the apparatus will fail.

The directional lights I have heard about but do not know of the testing
arrangements.  However, I do know that physicist Helmut Schmidt in San
Antonio has done numerous such studies with radioactive decay events and
they are very specific as to when, how long, and which side of a double-event
is to be hit. (A coin toss usually determines which side.)

Studies have been done where the quantum events were taped and later replayed
for the testing subject. Results were no different - the biases still occured.
These are called PK time-displacement experiments.

If the tests have been done properly and the results accurately recorded and
interpreted, they would seem to indicate that there is something very
important going on between the interaction of human (and animal) consciousness
and quantum events.  Not only that, but if the time-displacement results
have any validity then it would seem that a profound change in our view of
time itself may be required.

 -- Dave Trissel    {ihnp4,siesmo}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

gdmr@cstvax.UUCP (George D M Ross) (06/29/85)

In article <2784@decwrl.UUCP> wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:
>	I suspect that no matter WHO did the observing, the light will
>	(for selected periods of time) make rather large excursions
>	to the left and right.....

From "The Theory of Stochastic Processes" by D.R. Cox and H.D. Miller
(just after example 2.7):

         "Thus an unrestricted particle, if allowed sufficient time, is
         certain to make indefinitely large excursions from its starting
         point and is also certain to return to its starting point."

It's probably in Feller somewhere too.
--
George D M Ross, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh
Phone: +44 31-667 1081 x2730