[net.physics] Least Time Principle

paul@phs.UUCP (Paul C. Dolber) (06/30/85)

A rather off-the-wall question for net.physics, I suppose, but no more
so than some of what I've seen here lately, and definitely a physics
question.

From George Owen's "The Universe of the Mind" (Johns Hopkins Press,
Baltimore, 1971):  "Heron of Alexandria made a major contribution
to the theory of reflection by observing that when light is emitted
from a point A and is reflected from a plane surface to a point B,
the path corresponding to equal angles of incidence and reflection
is the shortest path.  He assumed that the ideal path, i.e., the
shortest, represented the physical situation, and in this assumption
he was quite correct... This approach to the question of reflection
has much greater significance than the result shown above.  The
implication is that the laws of nature obey some ideal principle --
in this case, that the time for a ray to proceed via a reflection
from A to B is a minimum, although in Heron's age it was not realized
that the velocity of light is finite.  When one incorporates the finite
velocity of light and the fact that the velocity of propagation along
both segments is the same, the result of Heron's construction implies
that the transit time of a light ray along the reflected path is a
minimum.  Recognition of this fact led Fermat to the Least Time
principle, in deriving the law of refraction of light rays" [pp 56-7].
"Attempting to derive Snell's law of refraction, Fermat, like Heron
of Alexandria in his analysis of reflection, suggested that a light
ray in passing from a point A to a point B in a medium of variable
refractive index (or in a medium wherein the velocity of light
varied) would make the passage in the least possible time" [p 108].

While I don't know that George really meant that part about the laws
of nature obeying some ideal principle, the utility of the Least Time
principle does strike me as a very odd thing indeed.  Unfortunately,
I don't recall what else he said about it in the course he taught
for which this book was used.  What I would like to know is:  Is there
some known physical reason why light *must* follow the least time
path? or can one only conclude that it's an accident? or the result
of some cosmic design?  Please don't get more detailed in your replies
than is absolutely necessary; the course was known (until the year I
took it) as "Physics for Poets," which ought to give you a good idea
of the depth of my understanding of physical principles.

Regards, Paul Dolber (...duke!phs!paul).

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (07/02/85)

[]
In article <1033@phs.UUCP> paul@phs.UUCP (Paul C. Dolber) writes:
>...(an example of how the path of a light ray gets to its end
>point in "least time")...
>                               What I would like to know is:  Is there
>some known physical reason why light *must* follow the least time
>path? or can one only conclude that it's an accident? or the result
>of some cosmic design?

	There is a mathematical reason, if not exactly a
physical reason.  The best description of how light
propagates, for most purposes, is a "wave" model: something
which is defined at each point in space and varies
continuously as a function of position and time; the "wave
equation" relates the change at one point to the values at
neighboring points.  (That's a hand-waving definition of what
a partial differential equation does.)  The wave equations and
other differential equations of physics often imply
"variational principles:" that a wave propagates (or a
particle moves) along a line which happens to be the solution
of the following kind of problem: find the curve which
minimizes a certain function depending on all the points that
it passes through.
	The best-written book about this connection between
physical principles and variational problems known to me is
"The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius
Lanczos.  It is not light reading, and presumes a knowledge of
calculus.
	Does the existence of variational principles in
physics imply something about God?  This question goes beyond
the subject matter of science or mathematics;  these are about
experiments, hypotheses, equations, theorems, etc.  I believe
that the answer is "Yes," but this is not a thing that I try
to prove by mathematics.
Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

> Is there some known physical reason why light *must* follow the least
> time path?

Many of the fundamental laws of physics can be expressed as "minimum"
principles, or rather, as variational principles.

One needs to be a bit subtle in formulating a "minimum" principle.
In the case of reflection, an even shorter path (or time) would be
obtained by a direct beam from transmitter and receiver, instead of
bouncing off the mirror.  In general relativity, the path of light
is a maximum (in 4 dimensions), not a minimum.

The general form of a variational principle is:

	The actual behavior of a system is such that some
	quantity computed from its behavior is "stationary"
	with respect to small variations in behavior from the
	actual behavior.

That is, the computed quantity (typically, an energy or path length)
is the same for all possible system behaviors that are "close" to the
one that actually happens.  If you know some calculus, this should
remind you of max or min of a function occurring at the point where
the derivative is zero.  (The variational principle amounts to a
strange sort of "variational derivative" being zero.)

Why it is possible to derive the fundamental equations of several
areas of physics from variational principles has not been
satisfactorily explained.  My own view is that a variational principle
is just a statement of structural stability, and the only physical
laws we can hope to find are those that are structurally stable.

rimey@ucbvax.ARPA (Ken Rimey) (07/04/85)

>>                               What I would like to know is:  Is there
>>some known physical reason why light *must* follow the least time
>>path?
>	There is a mathematical reason, if not exactly a
>physical reason.  The best description of how light
>propagates, for most purposes, is a "wave" model ...

Here's a try at a physical reason:  Let's say that the ray of light
doesn't only follow the path of least time, but follows all possible
paths.  There is really a collection of rays, but those that don't
approximately follow the least-time path cancel each other.

Rays that follow paths close to that of the least-time ray get to the
destination slightly later, but only slightly.  These rays therefore
arrive roughly in phase, and interfere constructively.

For each ray that follows a bizarre, unphysical path, there are rays
that follow nearby paths that arrive later, and rays that arrive sooner.
These arrive with an even mix of phases, and interfere destructively.

The result is that only the rays *close* to the least-time ray are
seen at the destination.  These ideas can be expressed mathematically,
but only with difficulty.

Does anybody buy it?

						Ken Rimey

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (07/09/85)