[net.physics] Faster Than Light

nishri (01/13/83)

"An electrical signal in a conductor, under suitable conditions of very
 low L and C values, can be made to pass through a conductor at a velocity
 considerably greater than that of light."

So concludes Harold W. Milnes, Ph.D, in the January 1983 issue of
"Radio-Electronics" in an article that begins on page 55.

I found I did not agree with parts of the article.  I would be interested
in comments from others who have read the article.

Please mail comments to : decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!nishri
Informational replies of general interest should be posted to net.physics

ltn (01/14/83)

Under certain propagation conditions (not necessarily in a conductor; the
same thing can happen to a wave propagating in a plasma), an electrical
signal *can* travel at a velocity greater than light.
*But* that is only true for the phase velocity.  The phase velocity is the
velocity of a wave of a single frequency, which means that signal has a
constant amplitude for all time.
The key point is that the group velocity *cannot* exceed the speed of light.
The group velocity is the velocity that a modulation envelope (whether
amplitude modulation, on-off cw pulses, or whatever) will travel at.  The
difference arrises because modulation involves propagating signals of many
different frequencies (remember Fourier) which travel with different
velocities (the faster-than-light phenomenon only occurs in dispersive media).
Thus *information* still cannot travel faster than light, and information
propagation is what relativity is concerned with.

Les Niles, Bell Labs Murray Hill (aluxz!ltn)

jis (01/14/83)

Although the phase velocity of an elctromagnetic disturbance can be greater
than the speed of light in dispersive media, it strikes me as improper or
misleading to claim that an "electric signal" can travel faster than light.
The concept of a signal is intimately related to communication, and a
"electric signal" travelling at the phase velocity (whatever that might mean)
cannot be used to relly send a "signal" (as is normally connoted by the word)
to anyone at a velocity greater than that of light.

Jishnu Mukerji
ABI Holmdel 1B-425
{vax135, harpo, allegra}!hocsd!jis

KANorman.ES@PARC-MAXC (01/16/83)

The following statemant is true, yet it is not possible to physically construct
such a structure:

	"An electrical signal in a conductor, under suitable conditions of very
	low L and C values, can be made to pass through a conductor at a
	velocity considerably greater than that of light."

The real difficulty is designing such a wave guide. The propogation delay in an
homogeneous medium is

Where <mu>0 = 4*<pi>*10**-7 Henry/meter
	<epsilon>0= 8.85*10**-12  Farad/meter
and both <mu>r and <epsilon>r are both necessarily greater than 1.
Thus where both are 1, the minimum value of 3.33*10**-9 seconds/ meter which
is also known as 3*10**8 meters/second.

	One may claim to find materials with <mu>r less than one, or those with
<epsilon>r less than one, but this exceedingly unlikely in this physical universe.
If you can find one or both, please send a sample to me, I'll pay the postage!

		Kevin Norman
		Xerox Corp.

faustus (01/22/83)

A recent article mentioned a gas jet from a quasar (wasn't it a galaxy,
though?) as an example of faster than light transmission of signals.
This example is not necessarily a case of something actually moving
faster than c (a signal, or whatever). On possible explanation that
I have seen for this phenomenon is analogous to what happens when you
shine a flashlight on clouds and move it quickly from one side of the
sky to another. The apperant velocity of the spot is very high, but
the actual movement that takes place is really quite small. Well, I
don't know if this is useful, but I just thought I'd mention it.

       -Wayne Christopher
	faustus@berkeley
	ucbvax!faustus

BillW@SRI-KL (01/23/83)

From:  William "Chops" Westfield <BillW @ SRI-KL>

using wave partical duality (If I remember this correctly), the phase
velocity of the waveform  of a baseball is something like C^2/V...
Of course the signal, which is the group velocity of the wave packet,
turns out to be just V, the velocity of the baseball...

BillW

gwyn@Brl-Bmd.ARPA (01/23/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn <gwyn@Brl-Bmd.ARPA>

c^2 / v  is also the true speed of a so-called "tachyon" of nominal
velocity v > c.  I worked this out in 1970 and am sorry to see tachyons
still considered something special.

Marshall.WBST (01/24/83)

Could you send me a reference to the slow speed of tachyons?

--Sidney Marshall

gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (06/02/83)

From:      Doug Gwyn VLD/VMB <gwyn@brl-vld>

There is no way to send useful signals faster than light even in
quantum theory.  Some of the abstract entities in the theory can
"propagate" faster than light but that is not the same thing as
practical signaling.  Also note that classical quantum theory is
non-relativistic and a more careful theory must be used when
investigating such matters.  My understanding of the Bell inequalities
is that they demonstrate the incompatibility of simplistic
superposition (linear) quantum theory and relativity.

In the above I have not bothered to take into account the
demonstrable isomorphism between subluminal and superluminal speeds
explained some time back in this mailing list.

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (06/03/83)

No, if I remember correctly, Bell's Theorem merely states that no theory which
is:

1) local - i.e., if any thing happening at point A is to affect something at
point B, any "signal" must pass through all the intermediate points at a
finite speed.

2) realistic - i.e., says that the underlying variables of the theory (position,
momentum, field strengths, etc.) must have values independent of the observer.

can NOT exactly reproduce the predictions of quantum mechanics.  Therefore,
if somebody concocts a local, realistic theory, there must be an experimental
test to tell whether it or quantum mechanics is correct.  In fact, there have
been several such tests; all but one validated quantum mechanics, and the
other one is in doubt.

This does NOT mean that "nature is not local", i.e. you can send "signals"
at infinite speed or via "action at a distance".  It merely says "nature is
either local or realistic, not both".  I'm not familiar with the mechanics
of the theorem, so I'm sure I'm leaving out other conditions (i.e., "nature
is not local, realistic, and ... all together").

		Guy Harris
		RLG Corporation
		{seismo,mcnc,we13,brl-bmd,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (06/04/83)

Bell's theorm syas that due to weird quantum effects an event can cause
changes in another event via what appears to be faster-then-light messages.
But, due to the random nature of the changes the only way to determine
the what actually happened to to compare the sequence of events at one
place with the sequence of events at the other which need non-random
messages which must travel slower then light.  This is the same problem
observed in the famous twin paradox where as long a constant velocities
are maintained the you can never get the twins together to compare there
aging and determine which is really older.

				Mark Biggar

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (06/26/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

> I just read "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat," a book by John Gribbin,
> intended to introduce laymen to the subject of quantum mechanics.  Does
> anybody have any comments on the following excerpt, with respect to
> info. travelling faster than the speed of light?  The first (long)
> paragraph gives technical details on how the experiment works, the
> second (short) paragraph gives the results of the experiment: that
> information was transmitted instantaneously, i.e., faster than the speed
> of light.

There is nothing wrong with faster than light speeds, as long as no information
is transmitted at those speeds. In this particular experiment, there is no
paradox for the following reason - this setup cannot be used to communicate at
super-luminal speeds. To see this, imagine two people sitting at opposite sides
of the ring. Let's call them John and Mary. Suppose they use the different
states of the system as the letters of an alphabet. For simplicity, assume that
the system has two states, denoted by 0 and 1. To send the message,say 11001,
to John, Mary would have to successively put the system in the states 1, 1, 0,
0, 1. Let us assume that the system starts out in the state 0. Then, Mary has
to change the state of the system to 1. To do this, she will have to apply an
external influence to the system for a certain duration. However, due to
uncertainty principle, she cannot be certain that the system is an the state 1
at the end of this duration. She can only be sure that it is in state 1 with
probability, say 98%, and in state 0 with probability 2%. To decipher this
message, John will now have to make a measurement on the system, and he will
find it in state 1 with probability 98%, and in state 0 with probability 2%.
But, no matter which state he finds the system in, he does not know what the
probabilities are (if he did, he wouldn't have to make the measurement, as he
already knows what state Mary INTENDED the system to be in, i.e., what she was
trying to communicate). Therefore, from John's point of view, the measurement
of the state of the system does not tell him anything at all. Result: no
meaningful messages can be transmitted between John and Mary using this system
at ANY speed, let alone faster than light.

This experiment reminds me of the so-called EPR (Einstien-Podolsky-Rosen)
paradox - imagine a bound system of two spin half particles with net spin zero.
We hit it with a spin zero particle to seperate the two particles, so that they
start moving in opposite directions. The net spin of the system was zero when
we started, so due to conservation of angular momentum, it will remain zero.
Suppose after the two particles have been seperated by a large distance, we
make a measurement of the spin of one of the particles. Before the measurement
was made, the spin state of each particle was inderminate. After the
measurement is made, the spin state of the measured particle is determined (say
it is up). Since the total spin must be zero, the other particle is now forced
to chang its state from an inderminate state to one with spin down. This must
happen instantaneously, no matter how far apart the two particles are. The
important thing here is that no information can actually be transferred in this
manner, since what state the first particle will be found cannot be determined
in advance. This famous paradox caused a big debate between Einstein and Niels
Bohr in the early 30's, as  Einstein did not believe in the probabilistic
interpretation of QM.

- mayank.
-------

knutsen@sri-unix.ARPA (06/26/85)

From:  knutsen (Andrew Knutsen)

> To do this, she will have to apply an
> external influence to the system for a certain duration. However, due to
> uncertainty principle, she cannot be certain that the system is an the state 1
> at the end of this duration. She can only be sure that it is in state 1 with
> probability, say 98%, and in state 0 with probability 2%. To decipher this
> message, John will now have to make a measurement on the system, and he will
> find it in state 1 with probability 98%, and in state 0 with probability 2%.
> But, no matter which state he finds the system in, he does not know what the
> probabilities are (if he did, he wouldn't have to make the measurement, as he
> already knows what state Mary INTENDED the system to be in, i.e., what she was
> trying to communicate).

	Can't John and Mary decide beforehand what the duration of influence
is, and therefore the probabilities are? And using those probabilities come up
with a suitable ECC? There is a certain probability of mistake in any medium.

> This experiment reminds me of the so-called EPR (Einstien-Podolsky-Rosen)
> paradox

	Its long been agreed that no info can be transmitted via EPR
(well by most people anyway)... The people receiving the particles cannot
influence their state, only measure them. The "paradox" is due to the undecided
correlation, not superluminal info transfer.

Andrew

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA (06/26/85)

I believe that your explanation of why the "superconducting ring"
experiment does not violate the "speed-of-light limit" for information
transfer is wrong.  Information need not be guaranteed error-free to be
information, and (meaningful) messages are sent over non-error-free
(noisy) channels all the time.  All that is required is that the signal
sent and received not be random.

Contrast this with your remarks on the EPR "paradox", where you
correctly state that "no information can actually be transferred in this
manner, since [in] what state the first particle will be found cannot be
determined in advance."  Here one has a 50-50 proposition; the signal
"sent" is random, and the signal "received" is indistinguishable from
random since it is *determined* (in some sense) by a random input.

There is an excellent, and quite accessible, introduction to EPR, Bell's
inequality, and the Aspect experiments in /Physics Today/ of a couple of
months ago.

Mark

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (06/26/85)

From:  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>

Re: EPR paradox

It's even worse than that -- spatially separated particles CANNOT
be such that a happening at one of them causes a related happening
INSTANTANEOUSLY at the other.  This is because simultaneity is a
relative concept, devoid of absolute physical meaning.  This is the
root of Einstein's objection.

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (06/26/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

      That (relativity of simultaneity) IS NOT root or related to EPR
 problem. Imagine an photon as spherical wave origaniting at North Star.
 The moment you detect (absorb) that one photon here, on Earth. the whole
 big sphere collapses 'instananeously)'.  T%hat is the root of problem.

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (06/27/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

First of all, please, please   D O   N O T   send messages both to the bboard
and me. If I am corresponding on the bboard, I read the  bboard. If I don't,
I will say so in the message. So please reply only to the bboard. Thanx.

Now for the objections raised to my earlier message -

1. (Knutsen, Jackson) John and Mary have to decide to beforehand the duration of the
influence in order to communicate. The problem here is not whether they can use
this setup as a communication device (as in a telephone), but rather can they
use it to produce a contradiction with the theory of relativity. Unless the
communication is 100% reliable, a contradiction will not result. To improve the
reliability, one will have to detect errors and retransmit, and in that case, I
am willing to bet that the effective speed will have to be less than that of
light (although I have not done any calculations on this yet.)

2. (Gwyn) There are really two issues here - the theory of relativity, and the
quantum theory of measurement. The first is well understood and empirically
confirmed to as high an accuracy as is possible with the current technology.
The second has been a painful thorn in the otherwise perfect Copenhagen
interpretation of quantum mechanics ever since its beginning, and despite many
attempts to date, has not been satisfactorily expounded. The point of the
original message by McNelly however was if the superconducting ring was in
contradiction to relativity, the answer to which is no, as I explained.

Let me now take up your objection - essentially that a spatially distributed
wave function collapses instantaneously upon measurement, and this seems to
contradict relativity. Well, yes and no. Yes because how does the wave function
communicate its collapse information to points far apart instaneously? No
because that still does not lead to a contradiction. Consider your photon from
North Pole example. It has a spherical wave function until the point it is
detected on Earth, at which time it is localized, say within your eye. Now
suppose another observer is moving along say in a spaceship on the other side
of the North Pole, and is also trying to detect the same photon. True,
simultaneity is relative, and what appears to us as a simultaneous collapse of
the wave function cannot appear simultaneous to our friend, and indeed, it does
not appear to him at all. Once the photon has been seen by you, it is gone, our
friend wouldn't even know it existed. So he doesn't have to worry about
simultaneity. Only the wave function of the photon needs to carry out its
collapse in such a way that if it is observed at a point A, then it may not be
observed at a different point B, independent of the time difference between the
two observations, and the states (of motion) of the two observers. Admittedly
not a very satisfactory situation, but at least free of contradictions. At any
rate, this is the best that can be done until we really understand the quantum
theory of measurement.

- mayank.

II  Mayank Prakash  AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA      (512) 834-3441		II
II  9430 Research Blvd., Echelon 1, Austin, TX 78759.			II
-------

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA (06/27/85)

[To: Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>]

No, you're *still* wrong about faster-than-light information transfer
and uncertainty.

Suppose one had the situation you describe, Mary trying to send signals
by "apply[ing] an external influence to the system for a certain
duration".

I assert that in order for Mary's "influence" to raise the probability
of a state transition *above what it would be in the absence of the
influence* (i.e. above random) either:
	- the influence must be applied over the entire system, or
	- the duration of the influence must be > L/c, where L is
	  the distance to the other side of the system.

In neither case is superluminal communication at issue.

If this were not the case, an external observer would conclude
*unambiguously* that Mary's actions were *causing* an effect (albeit
perhaps a probabilistic effect) outside of Mary's light cone.  Then some
relatively moving observer would see the order of these events (cause
and effect) reversed, a contradiction which would identify a preferred
frame contrary to relativity.

Note that in the EPR situation there is a symmetry between
detection-at-A and detection-at-B which is missing in your John-and-Mary
case.  Point A may be closer to the source (so the stationary observer
says "detection at A 'causes' the particle approaching B to change
state", but since A and B are outside each other's light cones there are
moving observers who can equally say that the particle at B arrived
first, and conclude the reverse.  It is the *lack* of causal influence,
not a 2% uncertainty in it, which prevents a contradiction.

Mark

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (06/28/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>I assert that in order for Mary's "influence" to raise the probability
>of a state transition *above what it would be in the absence of the
>influence* (i.e. above random) either:
>	- the influence must be applied over the entire system, or
>	- the duration of the influence must be > L/c, where L is
>	  the distance to the other side of the system.

Mark,

That's correct and is the reason why they cannot communicate faster than light
using this setup. I don't see what you are complaining about. Let me backtrack
a little - the whole thing started when McNelly wondered how could information
be transferred faster than light in the superconducting ring, and I attempted
to explain why that is not a contradiction (at least not an empirical one). You
can either agree with my explanation, in which case we have no quarrel, or you
can disagree, in which case you must at least explain why my explanation is
wrong, and perhaps, in addition, also supply an exlpanation of your own, and we
will have something to talk about.

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (06/30/85)

> Let me now take up your objection - essentially that a spatially distributed
> wave function collapses instantaneously upon measurement, and this seems to
> contradict relativity. Well, yes and no. Yes because how does the wave

The wave function is not physical matter or an energy field.  It is a
computational entity used to predict the results of experiments.  When you
solve the equations of motion, you are solving for the motion of a computational
entity which can then be used to predict the results of experiment.  It won't
predict results that are in violation with relativity, ie that the photon
gets absorbed sooner than the speed of light would allow for.

The wave function itself is just a computational device and is not some real
physical thing that is distributed over space.  The wave function "collapse"
is simply the statement that there was one photon and if it gets absorbed in
a given detector then no other detectors will absorb it.  This is about as
simple and intuitive as you can get.

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA (07/01/85)

[To: Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

BTW, you can raise the probability that others will reply "only to the
bboard" by including a Reply-To field, as above]

If you agree with the referenced statement then we have no disagreement.
Apparently I did not read one or more of your previous statements as
having the meaning you intended.

Mark

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (07/03/85)

In article <315@sri-arpa.ARPA> AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA writes:
>... This famous paradox caused a big debate between Einstein and Niels
>Bohr in the early 30's, as  Einstein did not believe in the probabilistic
>interpretation of QM.
>
>- mayank.
>-------

	If this is the same arguement I am thinking of, it went on for
quite some time. I don't really think there is much of a paradox.
Bohr always used to win this arguement whenever Einstein came up
with a new objection... not because he was more brilliant than
Einstein, but because he was right!  (As far as we know.)

Cheers,		Fred Williams

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (07/04/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>The wave function is not physical matter or an energy field.  It is a
>computational entity used to predict the results of experiments.  When you
>solve the equations of motion, you are solving for the motion of a computational
>entity which can then be used to predict the results of experiment.  It won't
>predict results that are in violation with relativity, ie that the photon
>gets absorbed sooner than the speed of light would allow for.
>
>The wave function itself is just a computational device and is not some real
>physical thing that is distributed over space.  The wave function "collapse"
>is simply the statement that there was one photon and if it gets absorbed in
>a given detector then no other detectors will absorb it.  This is about as
>simple and intuitive as you can get.
The wave function is more than just a computational device - it is the actual
probability amplitude, whose mod-squared gives the probability density of
seeing a photon at a given point. The wave function collapse is the stronger
statement that the probability amplitude, which was spread out over a
(possibly) large region of space, is now localized within a small volume in
which the photon was seen. Before the observation was made, the probability
distribution was ACTUALLY spread out, and after the photon is detected at some
point, it "collapses" to within that volume. So there is a change in the ACTUAL
porbability density of seeing that photon at other spots in space once it has
been detected at earth.

Note that you are confusing two issues here - the photon does not get absorbed
sooner that the speed of light would allow for because the wave function does
not expand faster than the speed of light, thereby ensuring that the
PROBABILITY of its being seen is zero before that time, but once that time has
elapsed, and an observation made, it collapses "instanteneously." That is the
only way contradictions can be avoided. The situation with regards to
relativity is tolerable (not completely satisfactory) only because this will
lead to no observable contradictions as long as the wave function (i.e., the
actual probability distribution, not just a mathematical entity) collapses
instantaneously.

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (07/05/85)

> The wave function is more than just a computational device - it is the actual
> probability amplitude, whose mod-squared gives the probability density of
> seeing a photon at a given point. The wave function collapse is the stronger

I certainly agree that the wavefunction is a probability amplitude which
mathematically propagates according to a set of equations of motion.  It
is not however real physical entity like for instance an electric field.
It is just a probability amplitude that you square to get the probability
of various results.  People get unhappy with the idea of it "collapsing
instantanously" because they think of it as a real physical object.  This
causes them to think that someting is moving faster than light when it
"collapses".  Nothing is moving!  There wasn't anything there in the first
place.  The only real things that happend were the release of a photon
at one place and its later capture somewhere else.  Nothing happens in
between.  You conjure the wavefunction up in your head to explain the
probability distribution of the results and it works, I will be the last
to argue with that, but the wave function is in your head.  The only real
physical happenings are the release and detection of the photon.

Only the "event", ie the firing of a phototube is real.  Insisting on
believing that the wavefunction is a real physical object will only keep
you from developing an intuition that removes any headaches over the EPR
paradox and the like.  There is no such thing as a wave function meter,
you can't measure it directly.  You can only see the phototube fire and
that it all there is to it.  If you don't repeat the experiment many times
you can't even find out anything about the supposed "wave function".  You
can only know that the phototube fired.

Physics is what happens on the experimental table, theorists should not get
their backs up about this statement as I am a theorist, theory is what goes
on in your head. The wave function which is a figment of ones imagination
is a computational tool.  Can you loan me a cup of wavefunction just like a
cup of sugar?

> > The wave function is more than just a computational device - it is the actual
> > probability amplitude, whose mod-squared gives the probability density of
> > seeing a photon at a given point. The wave function collapse is the stronger
>
> I certainly agree that the wavefunction is a probability amplitude which
> mathematically propagates according to a set of equations of motion.  It
> is not however real physical entity like for instance an electric field.

(followed by a discussion about how the wave function isn't real)

Everything you say about the QM wave function could also be said about
the electric field.  What makes the electric field any more real than
the QM wave function?

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (07/06/85)

FOR SALE:
One (1) probability wavemeter, slightly used, still under factory warranty.
Meter reading instantaneously drops to zero during electron phototube
measurements, otherwise works perfectly.  Manufacturer claims that the
problem can be fixed but that it is too bohring to work one.  Their
slogan, "The only physically real things are the nonobservables."
Best offer accepted, preferably in the form of non-negotiable bearer
bonds.

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (07/08/85)

> > is not however real physical entity like for instance an electric field.
>
> (followed by a discussion about how the wave function isn't real)
>
> Everything you say about the QM wave function could also be said about
> the electric field.  What makes the electric field any more real than
> the QM wave function?

The wave function and the electric field have one fundamental difference.

The electric field is observable in a single experiment. The wave function is
not.  When an electric field collapses the stored energy density has to
go somewhere and there are measureable physical consequences.  The electric
field certainly did have its beginnings as a computational device.  And I
think that this is the root of your your comment.  I in fact won't argue
with anyone about whether or not it is real.  It is likely that you can have
it both ways.

The wave function is a different sort of animal.  It is used to describe the
probabilistic results of a large number of identical experiments.  It can be
measured only by repeating the identical experiment.  When it "collapses"
there are no measureable consequences of the "motion".  The "collapase" is
only there to explain the fact that when the particle is detected at one place
it is not going to be detected elsewhere.  The wave function (squared) gives
the probability of one of several choices.  It is inherently not measureable
in the context of a single experiment.

Reality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.  I will not further
harass anyone who wants to think of the wavefunction as a real thing that
is distributed in space and moving around.

When using the Schrodinger picture (See QM by Messiah for discussion on this)
I tend to think of the wave function as a 'real' field that is distributed over
space and is moving around.  Consider, however, the Heisenberg picture where the
wavefunction is a constant vector and its the operators that move around.  You
can of course have if anywhere in between.  A case in point is the Interaction
picture.

When someone wants want to worry about the wavefunction's "instantaneous
collapse" as being in potential violation of relativity or unasthetic he/she
is thinking that the wavefunction is a bit more real than it really is.
This is something that is not in the eye of the beholder and can clearly
labeled as a misinterpretation of the facts.

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (07/09/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

   The vawe function in the Schrodinger Equation differs from the
  Amplitude of the electromagnetic field (E and H  or F(n,m)) of the Max-
 vell equations in the assumption of the existence of a discrete particle.
   If concept of photon is considered together with Maxwell's eq., then
 same problem and same paradoxes appear. As remarked recently, this is
 indeed the same discussion which Bohr had with Einstein, but contrary
 to the conclusion stated in that remark, it far from being  is over.
 Some people believe that Einstein was right, rather then Bohr. I suggest
 that we do accept the fact that there is indeed a division of opinion
 concerning the interpretation of psi function of QM and concerning the
 queastion whether QM is paradox free and logicaly consistent. Some people
 prefer not to see or face the problems - that's fine - but lets stop pa-
 rroting the statement that 'all is fine and there is no paradox'. Some
 people believe that there are serious problems in the foundations of Q.M.
 and that's fine too. Thye discussion should proceed by examination of the
 (alleged) problems and paradoxes - not just by stating that there is/ or
 is not a problem.

                                           Peter M

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (07/09/85)

> From brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> When someone wants want to worry about the wavefunction's "instantaneous
> collapse" as being in potential violation of relativity or unasthetic he/she
> is thinking that the wavefunction is a bit more real than it really is.

I don't think the wavefunction is a completely imaginary construct.
Many experiments indicate the wave structure of light, with Young's slit
experiment jumping to mind.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (07/09/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>Please define "instantaneously" in a generally-invariant way.

Instantaneity cannot be defined even in a specially invariant way, forget a
generally invariant definition.

You are missing the point entirely and we are getting on a tangential
discussion. Perhaps my inability to express myself clearly is at least
partially to blame, but let me make another attempt to clarify my position.
All I am claiming is that QM does not give rise to any *observable*
contradictions with SR. Logically, there are problems and I am not claiming
that a good solution exists. For sake of concreteness, let us consider your
earlier example of a photon starting from the north star. Its wave function
expands at the velocity of light, (in ANY inertial frame). The important
property of the wave-function to remember is that the wave-function of a *given
photon* in a *given state* cannot be observed (measured). We can only measure
the wave-function corresponding to a *given state* of photons. The reason of
course is the uncertainty principle - any attempt to measure it at one
space-time point alters it irreversibly at all other points, and hence a
measurement at one point makes a measurement at other points meaningless.
(Footnote1: The probability distribution corresponding to a given state of
photons can be measured by preparing a large number of photons in that state,
and then recording the distribution of these photons. This gives us the
mod-squared of the wave-function. To get its phase, one could do interference
experiments).

Now consider an observer at Earth. As soon as she sees the photon, the wave
function collapses to within a small region (the speck on a photographic plate,
a cell in her retina or whatever) **instantaneously in her frame**. In
particular, the wave-function at the point diametrically opposite from her on
the pther side of the north star suddenly reduces to zero as soon as the
observation is made. Suppose another person is moving along in, say a
spaceship. In the moving frame, the wave function at the same diametrically
opposite point would collapse to zero either before or after the photon is
observed on Earth. Does this mean we have a contradiction? Logically, yes;
empirical, no. The reason there is no empirical paradox is simply that the wave
function is not itself observable. Therefore, the collapse of the wavae
function cannot be observed by any other observer. A real contradiction with SR
arises only if *information* can be transmitted faster than light, for in that
case, causality can be violated. I:n this situation, *WE* cannot use this setup
to transmit information faster than light, and hence cannot *observe* causality
violations. However, the wave function does receive a signal to collapse
instantaneously (in some frame), and therefore, in some frames it would
collapse before the observation was made, and this is far from a satisfactory
situation. However, since the wave function is not an observable entity itself,
no *empirical* contradictions arise in conventional QM, making the situation
*tolerable*, at least pending a better understanding of the measurement process
in QM.

That was the whole point I was trying to make, and I would welcome criticisms
or comments on this issue, but please  do not send me any more messages on the
meaning of simultaneity etc.

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>         Mayank, I think that some people might ascribe too much meaning to the
>wave function from your discription.  After all, a wave function is
>fundamentally different from an electromagnetic wave in that the EM wave
>has physical reality (i.e. physical energy density = mass) at every
>point of the wave all the time independently of any observer.  The QM
>wave function only has "reality" when it is observed.

Not true. Let us not confuse between the classical and quantum electromagnetic
fields. The quantum EM fields are as much unobservable as the wave function.
The classical EM field, on the other hand, is just the average of a large
number of photons. The quantum EM field does not have any physical energy
density. The energy density of the classical EM field at any point is the
average energy density of the photons at that point = energy of a photon *
mod-squared of the wave function of the photon at that point. It is hard for me
to see how one can ascribe *more reality* (what does it mean anyway) to the EM
field than the wave function of the photons.

>        Apropo of your discussion on simultaneity.  Consider two observers
>with synchronized perfect clocks starting out, in a relativistic way, from
>the same spot on the equator, in opposite directions, parallel to the
>equator, at the same instant that your photon leaves the north pole.  From
>symmetry, the photon reaches each at the "same time".  Each makes a
>measurement at that "instant".  However, from each observer's point of
>view, the other observer's clock is running slow.  So although each agrees
>that each made her measurement when her own clock read time T, each also
>insists that she made her measurement before the other did, since she
>observed that the other's clock was running slow.  Hence the wave function
>"instantaneously" collapsed with the "first" measurement and the other
>observer couldn't have made the measurement because the wave funtion had
>collapsed prior to time T on the other observer's clock.  But since the
>situation is completely symmetric each observer makes the same argument
>that it is impossible for the other to make the measurement!
>        How can this be???

Please be advised that making a measurement is not the same as seeing the
photon. The measurement in this case can have two outcomes - either you find
the photon, or you don't. Secondly, the photon does not reach the two observers
at the same time, only the wave function does. Only one of them can *see* the
photon, not both, despite the symmetry. The only catch here is that no matter
who makes the measurement first in whatever frame, the collapse of the wave
function in each frame is consistent, i.e., that it collapses to the same
region (which may be different from the positions of both observers, or  may
coincide with the position of one of them). This is the sticking point - how
does the wave function know how to collapse. As I have stated before, as long
as it does know however, there will not be any observable contradictions.

DANTE@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (07/09/85)

1

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (07/10/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>> The wave function is more than just a computational device - it is the actual
>> probability amplitude, whose mod-squared gives the probability density of
>> seeing a photon at a given point. The wave function collapse is the stronger

>I certainly agree that the wavefunction is a probability amplitude which
>mathematically propagates according to a set of equations of motion.  It
>is not however real physical entity like for instance an electric field.
>It is just a probability amplitude that you square to get the probability
>of various results.  People get unhappy with the idea of it "collapsing
>instantanously" because they think of it as a real physical object.  This
>causes them to think that someting is moving faster than light when it
>"collapses"...... cup of sugar?

Why is the electric field any more real? Isn't it just something in my mind as
well? Can you pass me a cup of electric field please? If you do, I will give
you two cups of wave function. How's that for a bargain?

The point is, whether *real* or not (whatever that means in this context), the
probability of finding a photon actually changed as a result of the
measurement. If  I understand you correctly, then your position is based on a
misunderstanding of QM. For, let us imagine two situations as follows -(1) I am
shooting bullets from an aperture in random directions. That is, the direction
of the next bullet is unpredictable, all you know in advance is the probability
of the bullet going in any given direction, i.e., its probability distribution.
You place detectors all around to detect each bullet. Let us assume that we
cannot see the bullets before they are detected by the detectors. Now, I fire
my next bullet. Before it reaches a detector, you cannot tell me which
direction it is travelling in, except the probability o f its actually going in
any direction. As soon as it is detected, however, the whole probability
distribution collapses to a point, and you now know exactly where the bullet
is. Why is there no problem here? Because the whole probability distribution
was used by us simply to express our ignorance of the bullet's direction. It
did not represent the bullet in any sense - the bullet was moving in a fixed
direction, even if we did not know that direction. Its detection simply fills
the gap in our knowledge, and in this sense the probability distribution is
something in our minds, and nothing really moved when it collapsed. In
particular, no information was transferred by any one in the process.

Now let us look at situation (2)  I am preparing photons in identical states,
and firing them from an aperture. Again, you know the statea I am preparing
them in, and hence the wave function of each photon in advance. This wave
function gives you the probability of finding the photon in any given
direction. As before, you have detectors placed around the aperture to detect
these photons. Now, I shoot the next photon. Before it is detected by a
detector, all you can tell me is the probability that it will be found to be in
a given direction. Why is there a problem here? Because it is not actually
moving in any given direction *before* the detection takes place. In the
classical case, the bullets were actually being in different states each time,
and our ignorance of the state of each bullet forced us to resort the
probability description. In the quantum case, we are shooting photon in
identical states, and it is not our ignorance of its state that forces us to
use probabilitiesm but because that is all there is. The wave function is as
complete a description of the state o fthe photon as anyone has (including the
photon), and therefore, when the photon decides to be found in one detector, it
has changed its state across all space. In other words, it is not true that the
photon was actually moving in given direction, and it got observed there etc.,
as we did in the previous case. THe photon was living a spread out existence,
with a probability of being detected anywhere being given by  its wave
function, and before the measurement was made, it was not movving in any given
direction. that is the root off the problem - how does it change its spread out
out state to a localised one *instantaneousy*?

And yes, don't forget the cup of electric field.

- mayank.
-------

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (07/10/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

  I by and large agree with your description of the collapse of the vawe
  function. The only thing I do not see (naturaly) is why I am missing the
  point 'entirely'. Let's leave it at that.
                                               Peter

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (07/11/85)

> From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>
>

> >> The wave function is more than just a computational device - it is the actual
> >> probability amplitude, whose mod-squared gives the probability density of
> >> seeing a photon at a given point. The wave function collapse is the stronger
>
> >I certainly agree that the wavefunction is a probability amplitude which
> >mathematically propagates according to a set of equations of motion.  It
> >is not however real physical entity like for instance an electric field.
> >It is just a probability amplitude that you square to get the probability
> >of various results.  People get unhappy with the idea of it "collapsing
> >instantanously" because they think of it as a real physical object.  This
> >causes them to think that someting is moving faster than light when it
> >"collapses"...... cup of sugar?
>
> Why is the electric field any more real? Isn't it just something in my mind as
> well? Can you pass me a cup of electric field please? If you do, I will give
> you two cups of wave function. How's that for a bargain?

I can actually pass you a cup of electic field!  A sealed box with niobium
inner walls at an appropo low temperature.  Put any desired EM field in there
you like, or any arbitrary number of photons you like.  If you define the field
you can't deternine the number of photons and vice versa.  The QM wavefunction
is not in there however.  Thats still in your head.

Seriously Mayank, If you read my recent posing on QM and Quantum Field theory
and don't yet see the light I suggest that you observe a 10 megaton airburst
at close range as a blindness test.

When you are ready for the eye test it can be arranged! We don't do bursts
in the open air these days but we a few tens of kilotons in tunnel shot
is still definite possibility.  1/2 a :-)

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (07/12/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

  How  real is the wave function?
  Psi function does two things - none of them too well:1) It serves as a
 'state of the system' and in this role is 'objective and real'.
  2) It also 'describes information which observer X has about the system'
  and in this role it is 'just a computational device'.
  So far we have talked about widely separated events (astronomical distances)
 in which the function 2 (information) dominates - so we were told that it is
 not 'real' and should not worry about FTL.
  Now, when you have introduced the interference phenomena, we will be
  told that we are 'forgetting' function 1.  Just watch the sleight of
  hand! It has been done before - so many times that it gets boring. It was to
  avoid this kind of ambiguity that DeBroglie introduced the "theory of
  double solution" in which both the particle and wave are real and inte-
  ract (vawe is guiding the particle). Naturally - a typical hard core po-
  sitivist - always ready with Occam's ax - will not entertain a notion just
  becouse it removes a logical absurdity ( we can always invent a new logic!).
.

                                    How many people would agree with this?? P.M..

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (07/15/85)

From:  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>

I agree that there is a logical problem.  I was pointing out that
the instantaneous collapse of the wave function in a special frame
was indicative of the logical problem.  I too think we need a better
quantum theory of measurement.

The logical relativistic problem is perhaps best seen by considering
the following slight modification of the passing spaceship scenario:

	observer A	E		observer B

			spaceship -->

E is an emitter of two particles in exactly opposite directions
with exactly correlated spin.  Due to the quantum nature of the
particle emission, nothing is known about the spins except that they
are correlated so that if one measures a spin component of one of
them, the statistical distribution (call this D1) of a tilted
component measurement of the other one will be different (involves
cosine of the relative component tilt angle) than it would have been
if the first measurement had not been done (call this distribution
D2).

Now, observer A measures a spin component of a particle sent in his
direction, and shortly thereafter (separated by a spacelike interval
w.r.t. the frame in which A, B, & E are all at rest) observer B,
who is slightly farther away from E, measures the tilted spin
component of the other correlated particle.  According to QM, the
result of an ensemble of such experiments is that B measures
statistical distribution D1.  The state of B's particle is supposed
to be established "instantaneously" when A makes his measurement.

There is no real paradox so long as we think in the rest frame.  Now
consider the situation from the viewpoint of a passing spaceship
traveling at very high speed in the direction shown.  If the
collapse of the wave function is "instantaneous" as seen by the
spaceship, and if B is not too much farther from E than A, then B
will measure the spin "before" A does.  QM says that B will find
statistical distribution D2 (and A something like D1) in this case.
Now, we all know that the statistics at B will really still be D1,
not D2 (since the spaceship is irrelevant to the quantum phenomenon
going on here).  Surely there is something fundamentally wrong with
the idea that the wave function collapses "instantaneously".  What
is a correct replacement for this bogus idea?

This is more or less the thinking of Einstein that led him to reject
the conventional formulation of quantum theory.  (He also did not
like the idea that there was a fundamental randomness, but that is a
separate issue.)

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA (07/15/85)

I think your discussion of the spin-experiment might confuse some
readers into thinking that there is a *real* paradox (in the sense that
properly applied QM would give conflicting predictions in the two
frames).  Of course, that is not the case.

Referring to your example:

	observer A	E		observer B

			spaceship -->

Assume for definiteness that E is emitting unpolarized spin-1/2
particles.  Then D2 (what you call the distribution when the other
measurement has not been done) is just 50% up, 50% down.

In general, D1 (the distribution to be expected when A PARTICULAR SPIN
has been measured by the other observer) will depend on the angle
between the detectors.  Note that since there are two possible outcomes
of the other observer's measurement, there are TWO distributions, call
them D1up and D1down.  Let us assume (again, for definiteness) that D1up
is 25% up, 75% down and that D1down is 75% up, 25% down.

Now in the stationary frame one can say that A receives his particle
first, the wave function collapses "instantaneously," and B's
measurement is thereby affected.  We predict, and would observe
experimentally, that for the set of all cases where A receives a spin-up
particle, B receives 75% down and 25% up; similarly for the cases where
A receives a spin-down particle.  Speaking loosely, one might say that
the measurement at A "caused" the shift in B's distribution.

In the moving frame, B receives his particle first.  Now we expect his
distribution to be D2.  But that was his total distribution before!
(Note that D2 = .5*D1up + .5*D1down.)  And for those events in which B
receives a spin-up particle, it is found that A's distribution is 25% up
and 75% down, and similarly.  Now it *seems* more natural to say that
the measurement at B "caused" the shift in A's distribution, but since
the experimentally measureable facts are the same, who's to tell?.

All that has happened, of course, is that we have chosen two different
ways of looking at the fundamental relationship:

          A = up      A = down

B = up     .125        .375
B = down   .375        .125

There is *no* paradox.  There *is* a difficulty in putting together an
intuitively acceptable combination of causality, induction, and
speed-of-light limit.  Let me recommend again the recent /Physics Today/
article on Bell's inequality; I am willing to summarize it if there is
interest, although I might not have the time to key it in for a couple
of weeks.

Mark

dgary%mcnc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (07/15/85)

I don't really follow you.  The point of my posting was that Young's
slit (and other experiments) indicate that there is something going
on more than particles flying along - something is interfering with
something to produce an interference pattern.  This does indeed
reflect the state of the system.  A "measurement" (in the quantum
sense - this does not require an observer but what Bohr called
an irreversible quantum event, I think) either results in the "collapse"
of the wave equation if you're a fan of the Copenhagen view or
something else (switching into one of the available time-tracks in
the many-worlds view, say).

I certainly agree that's ambiguous, but so what?  Nobody claims we
know all there is to know about physics.  Objecting to a successful
(if perhaps unappealing) scheme like quantum mechanics is just
pointless griping unless something better is being offered as an
alternative.

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (07/15/85)

From:  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>

What I really had in mind in the (A E B spaceship) thought experiment
was that observer A would be doing something nonsymmetric with
respect to the two spin states, so that there would be a way of
telling whether he had "interfered" with what is going on at
observer B.  Perhaps this is not possible, which would save the
situation in the way you describe, but offhand it is hard to see
why not..

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (07/16/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

>I agree that there is a logical problem.  I was pointing out that
>the instantaneous collapse of the wave function in a special frame
>was indicative of the logical problem.  I too think we need a better
>quantum theory of measurement.
>
>The logical relativistic problem is perhaps best seen by considering
>the following slight modification of the passing spaceship scenario:
>
>        observer A	E		observer B
>
>        		spaceship -->

.
.
.
.
.
--------
>I think your discussion of the spin-experiment might confuse some
>readers into thinking that there is a *real* paradox (in the sense that
>properly applied QM would give conflicting predictions in the two
>frames).  Of course, that is not the case.
>
>Referring to your example:
>
>        observer A	E		observer B
>
>        		spaceship -->

.
.
.
.

-------

>What I really had in mind in the (A E B spaceship) thought experiment
>was that observer A would be doing something nonsymmetric with
>respect to the two spin states, so that there would be a way of
>telling whether he had "interfered" with what is going on at
>observer B.  Perhaps this is not possible, which would save the
>situation in the way you describe, but offhand it is hard to see
>why not..

The argument of Mark can be generalized easily to any system that will be
correlated in the way you describe. Let us suppose you are trying to measure
the operator Q. Let us label the two particles 1 (A) and 2 (B) respectively. Q
must satisfy the following conditions - (1) It must be measurable on both
particles seperately, (2) It must be additive, i.e., its value on the whole
system must be the sum of its values on each particle individually, and (3) It
must be a constant of motion (for otherwise, the correlation between its values
on the two particles will be lost in time). Now, suppose that its eigenstates
on particle 1 are u(p), and on particle 2 are v(q), where p and q are the
corresponding eigenvalues respectively. Then, u(p)v(q) is the state in which
particle 1 has value p, particle 2 has value q, and the entire system has value
p+q for the observable Q. A general state of the system is a linear
superposition of these states. However, we are interested in a state in which
the system as a whole has a fixed value, say, P. Such a state is a linear
superposition of those products u(p)v(q), for which p+q = P. Let us say the
coefficient of u(p)v(q) in this state is a(p,q). Rest of the argument is a
repeatition of Mark's argument. So really there is no paradox here.

AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA (07/17/85)

From:  Mayank Prakash <AI.Mayank@MCC.ARPA>

It seems that thi smessage got garbled somewhere in the system. At least, I only got
half of it. So, here's another attempt at it -
-------