[net.physics] Smallest Possible Memory Element

infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA (07/03/85)

From:  ALBERS <infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA>

	Given the technology to do it, the smallest a computer memory
could be made would probably be an electron, in that a spin in one
direction would be a one and a spin in the other direction would be a
zero.  Don't ask me how you would go about building a computer around
this, but give computer technology about 10 years to find a way.

							Eric

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (07/12/85)

>	Given the technology to do it, the smallest a computer memory
>could be made would probably be an electron, in that a spin in one
>direction would be a one and a spin in the other direction would be a
>zero.  Don't ask me how you would go about building a computer around
>this, but give computer technology about 10 years to find a way.
>
>							Eric

   there is a problem here. according to Heisenberg, reading a file
would irreversibly garble it.

                                          -phil

rimey@ucbmiro.ARPA (Ken Rimey) (07/13/85)

>>	Given the technology to do it, the smallest a computer memory
>>could be made would probably be an electron, in that a spin in one
>>direction would be a one and a spin in the other direction would be a
>>zero.  ...
>>							Eric
>
>   there is a problem here. according to Heisenberg, reading a file
>would irreversibly garble it.
>
>                                          -phil

You say that sensing the spin of an electron would garble it.  I don't
see why.  Is your reference to Heisenberg a reference to the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle?  I don't see how it applies.  It relates to
pairs of simultaneously unknowable observables.  For example, if you
measure the momentum of a particle you disturb its position.  This is
simply because a state of well-defined momentum is a plane-wave, which
clearly does not have a well-defined position.  Excuse me if you already
know this.  Anyway, I don't see that this prevents you from non-destructively
measuring whether a spin is up or down.  Am I missing something?

					Ken Rimey

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (07/14/85)

>>Given the technology to do it, the smallest a computer memory
>>could be made would probably be an electron, in that a spin in one
>>direction would be a one and a spin in the other direction would be a
>>zero.  ...
>>							Eric
>
>   there is a problem here. according to Heisenberg, reading a file
>would irreversibly garble it.
>
>                                          -phil

	That's no problem.  Core memory is a destructive-read meory
device, also.  All that's required is that you write the data back
after each read operation.
--

	disclaimer: I'm the one looking for the control on
		the T.V. to turn up the intelligence.  The

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

mcgeer%ucbkim%Berkeley@sri-unix.ARPA (07/17/85)

From:  Rick McGeer (on an aaa-60-s) <mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley>

	See Mead & Conway, Chapter 9

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (07/21/85)

From:  Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

{ re: a message saying that the smallest possible memory element is a
single electron, using its spin to hold a bit }

> there is a problem here.  according to Heisenberg, reading a file
> would irreversibly garble it.

A minor problem.  Read it; make a copy of it on some more stable substance,
like a disk or vellum parchment or RAM, copy that copy back to the electrons,
and use the stable copy.  The intermediate steps are easy.  Reading and writing
electron spins are left as an exercise for the reader

-- Bard --
-------