[net.physics] ETHER FILE

infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA (07/10/85)

From:  ALBERS <infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA>

The following was typed pretty quick by myself to try to explain how I think
stuff works.  It is not finished and expriments still follow.

			What is now known.

	1. Ether is a frictionless fluid (almost frictionless)
	   that surrounds all matter.  It flows through atoms,
	   around electrons,protons and neutrons (not through),
	   because it is unable to flow through the elementary
	   particles it is capable of being controled (see magnetism).

	   Motion:  When a body is moving and begins to approch the
	   speed of light within that its frame of reference, a couple of things
	   happen. a) Processes of the moving object relative to processes
	   of a non-moving object slow down.  b) near the upper limit of
	   the speed of light, mass is gained.
	   NOW WHY AND HOW:  1. Processes are slowed relative to a
	   non-moving body for the same reason that processes near a
	   massive body slow relative to process rate of a body
	   away from a mass.  This reason being a increase in Ether
	   density.  As a object moves at a increasing rate of speed
	   Ether pressure is built up upon it due to the fact that the
	   Ether must flow around the electrons,protons and neutrons
	   of individual atoms.  At a certain pressure the ether
	   will be dense enough to form mass (don't ask in what form
	   this mass will be, just mass).

	   Gravity is a ether 'pressure' on the earth
	   caused by the disturbance which matter (see matter)
	   creates and transmits to the universe as a whole.
	   Because matter is a distrubance to the universe (see matter)
	   the universe compresses it into spherical shapes (equal ether
	   pressure on all sides).  Since the universe flows towards
	   a state of least energy, and since two seperate bodies of
	   matter cause more disturbance than a single body of their combined
	   mass the two masses have a tendency to flow towards one
	   another.  This effect we call gravity.

	3. Relative time (process rate) changes when a process leaves
	   a given density of ether (pressure) and enters a different
	   density.  The higher the density (pressure) of the Ether
	   the slower the process rate relative to the same process
	   in a lower density of Ether.

		Ex:  If we take two twins, and place one in a high
		     density of ether and the other in a low density
		     of ether,  the twin in the low density will age
		     faster than the twin in the high density.

	4. Matter (electrons,protons,neutrons)  are composed of Ether
	   in compressed form, and are held together by the pressure
	   of the ether around them.  When and if this pressure is
	   released they (electrons etc) will 'disintegrate' and
	   release their bundle of ether to the universe in the form of
	   Light (waves in ether).  Becuase matter is nothing but compressed
	   (or concentrated) ether, which because of existing ether pressure
	   cannot release the pressure (energy) pent up in each piece of
	   matter it (matter) is seen as a disturbance to the rest of
	   the universe.  To create electrons,protons and neutrons, one
	   would need to achieve great pressures, approching those in
	   the center of stars.  At this pressure, energy (ether waves)
	   are forced into a little package called matter.  Once in this
	   form, the matter may leave the high pressure environment and
	   enter a lower pressure one and still remain stable.  If however
	   the matter enters a area of extreamly low pressure, the matter
	   will fall apart and E=MCsquared will hold true in that energy
	   in the form of ether waves (Light) will be released to the
	   universe at large.

	5. Light is a wave in the ether and upon entering a higher density
	   of ether is bent towaward the disturbance.  An example would
	   be the bending of light around a massive body such as the sun.
	   The speed of light is not constant from density to density of
	   ether.  The higher the density of ether the slower the light
	   wave.  This accounts for the blackness of black holes (maybe)
	   in that with infinity mass, therefore infinity density the
	   light is slowed infinityly (whew!).  When a light wave enters
	   a lower density of ether it's speed increases.  Unfortunatly
	   the change in velocity of light cannot at this time be proven
	   on the Earth.  See experiment # x

	6. Magnetism:  A bar magnet's feild of strength comes from all
	   (or most) of the electrons in the magnet spinning the same
	   direction.  This spin causes the ether around the electron to
	   be 'pumped' along the axis of the magnet, out one end and
	   around to the other to equilize the pressure of the system and
	   to keep the energy expenditure to a minimum.  This does not
	   contradict the conservation of energy idea in that we have
	   said the ether is a 'frictionless' fluid.  By this we mean
	   that the ether is so frictionless as that any loss due to it
	   is undetectable and in the case of a magnet would be many many
	   years 'possibly millions' before a marked loss of energy would
	   be seen, but nevertheless there is a loss in the form of
	   decreased feild strength.  One way to expreimentally prove
	   that magnetism is a 'pump' of ether is to construct a
	   tube about 2 meters long and about 3 centimeters in diameter
	   and place around this tube coils of wire all wrapped in the
	   same direction so that the right hand rule applys.
	   When current is put into the wire a feild is generated around
	   the tube and accouding the the ether theory ether flows around
	   the tube AND Through the tube in the direction of the current
	   flow.  Now lets introduce a laser beam into the middle of the
	   tube, perpendicular to the tube, which is split in the middle
	   of the tube to follow along each axis of the tube.  Then place
	   outside of each end of the tube a array of mirrors so that the
	   beam from each end is recombined with each other and put through
	   the tube again.  If indeed the coil is pumping ether and if
	   ether is the substance light travels in then when the light
	   travels with the flow of ether through the tube it should
	   decrease in frequency while when it travels against the flow
	   of ether it should increase in frequency.  This should be
	   easily checked.

I am done

							Eric

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (07/11/85)

> From:  ALBERS <infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA>
>
> The following was typed pretty quick by myself to try to explain how I think
> stuff works.  It is not finished and expriments still follow.

I can't take it anymore! !"%$"'%)&$   Everyone knows that ether is the stuff
you sniff when you want to get high.

Or low depending on your viepoint :-)

gjphw@iham1.UUCP (wyant) (07/13/85)

    This is a brief comment on one of the points in Eric's hypothesis for a
 luminiferous aether.  This proposal appears very similar to J. C. Maxwell's
 ideas on the properties of the ether.

    While the absence of an ether has not been conclusively demonstrated by
 experimentation, its properties cannot be similar to any known fluids.  But,
 one statement in point 5 concerning the speed of light changing with the
 density of the ether cannot be correct.

    Though it is a postulate, both the Special Theory of Relativity and Einstein
 (General Relativity) theory consider the speed of light in a vacuum to be
 constant.  With the overwhelming success of SR, the validity of the postulates
 must be taken seriously.  According to GR, as light passes a gravitational
 source (dense ether), it is the frequency of light and not the speed that
 changes.  This was precisely the point of one of the three classic tests of GR
 which used the Mossbauer effect.  And, while Einstein theory has not been
 conclusively demonstrated, the various other tests performed have tended to
 support it.

    So, requiring that the speed of light vary with the density of the ether is
 not supported by present theory or experimentation.

                             Patrick Wyant
                             AT&T Bell Laboratories (Naperville, IL)
                             *!iham1!gjphw

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (07/15/85)

  >	   Now lets introduce a laser beam into the middle of the
  >	   tube, perpendicular to the tube, which is split in the middle
  >	   of the tube to follow along each axis of the tube.  Then place
  >	   outside of each end of the tube a array of mirrors so that the
  >	   beam from each end is recombined with each other and put through
  >	   the tube again.  If indeed the coil is pumping ether and if
  >	   ether is the substance light travels in then when the light
  >	   travels with the flow of ether through the tube it should
  >	   decrease in frequency while when it travels against the flow
  >	   of ether it should increase in frequency.  This should be
  >	   easily checked.

Hey I just had an idea.  Why bother with the ether pump.  The earth has
an orbital velocity (one which changes direction).  So the earth must
be moving relative to the ether. (at least during some seasons).  So
there must be an ether flow relative to the earth.  Could we measure
that?  Hmmm... Let's see in a moving fluid a round trip going with
the fluid then against it will take longer that the round trip
going ninety degrees to the fluid flow at all times.  So the round trip
time for a beam of light must depend on the direction we shine the beam.
Hmmm... second order effect, pretty damn small.  Hey, if I recombine the
beams afterward they will form an interference pattern, and if I then
turn the whole apparatus around, the shift relative to the motion of the
ether will shift the interference pattern.  Yes, Hmmm... yes small but
definitely measurable if I take a bit of care.

IM GOING TO DO IT.  THE HUGHES EXPERIMENT!   YES I'LL BE FAMOUS!!
HUGHES MEASURES THE ABSOLUTE VELOCITY OF THE EARTH!!!!

Whats that?  ... It's been done?!?! ... Michelson-Morley ... turn of the century
... no ether eh ... shit ...  oh well back to obscurity.

Those who do not study physics are condemned to repeat it!

                                             William Hughes

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/23/85)

> From:  ALBERS <infinity%udel-cc-vax2.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA>
>
> The following was typed pretty quick by myself to try to explain how I think
> stuff works.  It is not finished and expriments still follow.

> 	3. Relative time (process rate) changes when a process leaves
> 	   a given density of ether (pressure) and enters a different
> 	   density.  The higher the density (pressure) of the Ether
> 	   the slower the process rate relative to the same process
> 	   in a lower density of Ether.
>
> 		Ex:  If we take two twins, and place one in a high
> 		     density of ether and the other in a low density
> 		     of ether,  the twin in the low density will age
> 		     faster than the twin in the high density.

Well hot damn!  Ether!  I'm going to go up to the Chem Stockroom right
now & get some...I didn't realize it would keep me from aging!
(*:

Seriously - there are several good reasons why the ether theory was
dropped.  You should pick up some reading material on special and
general relativity theory to see exactly why - and *read* it, don't
skim it.
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd