[net.physics] APS news

piner@pur-phy.UUCP (Richard Piner) (07/27/85)

A couple of months ago I started posting news from the American
Physical Society. It seems that none of the articles got off campus
because the out-going news links were down. I am told that those links
have been repaired, so I am going to try again. Would someone on
one of the coast please post a note letting me know if this is getting
there. I plan to post the last fours weeks of news. News that is older
than that can be read in "Physics Today". I will now include the text of
my original article explaining what the APS news is all about.

					Rich Piner
					piner@pur-phy.UUCP

   Starting last fall, the American Physical Society began an experimental
program called "What's New". The Society post electronic news from
Washington each week. This news is received by subscribers such as
myself via telenet. I have ask for and received permission from the
Society to post this news to USENET.
   The following is the body of the letter introducing "What's New":
----

   Welcome to our experiment, "What's New". When the American Physical
Society took the step of opening a Washington Office, it was not to "lobby
for physics." Individual physicists have never been noticeably timid
about making their views known. It was felt, however, that physicists could
make their case more effectively if they had current information on
physics-related events in Washington. The Office of Public Affairs
therefore sees a major part of its role as keeping the members of APS
informed.

   One way of doing this has been to work closely with Physics Today
Washington Editor Irwin Goodwin, with whom we share offices. Physics
Today, however is a monthly publication and the time frame for
Washington events is often shorter than this.

   We have therefore decided to experiment with a weekly electronic
bulletin. We are anxious to have your reactions on the content and
format, and above all, on the usefulness of such a bulletin.

----

   As the letter says, most of the news is political in nature.
Given that most physics is funded by the government, this should
not be surprising. I am posting this news to net.physics because
it is news that is mostly of interest to people who follow physics.
If any of these articles spark debate, then we may want to do our
debating in net.politics. I don't know enough about net etiquette
to say. In any case, this posting of "What's New" to USENET is also
an experiment. If people outside the USA object to this sort of
news from the states, then let me know, and I will restrict the
distribution to the USA. Since what goes on in Washington effects
physics world wide, I don't expect there will be a need to limit
distribution. If anyone has any comments pro or con about posting
of "What's New" please feel free to send them to me via e-mail.
For reference, I will include the author's name and address
at the bottom. If you have comments about the content of "What's
New" that you believe would be useful, you may send them to me
or to Bob Park the author. Comments about USENET related issues of
course should be sent to me. I will begin posting these articles
starting next week, unless I hear overwhelming objections from the net.
I have copies of the articles from the beginning of the program, if
I get enough request, I might also post back issues.

						Rich Piner
						Purdue Physics Dept.
						West Lafayette, IN 47907
						piner@pur-phy.UUCP

The address of the author is:

	Robert Park
	The American Physical Society
	Suite 739, Joseph Henry Building
	2100 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
	Washington, D.C.  20037

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (07/29/85)

In article <1815@pur-phy.UUCP> piner@pur-phy.UUCP (Richard Piner) writes:
>   As the letter says, most of the news is political in nature.
>Given that most physics is funded by the government, this should
>not be surprising. I am posting this news to net.physics because
>it is news that is mostly of interest to people who follow physics.
>If any of these articles spark debate, then we may want to do our
>debating in net.politics. I don't know enough about net etiquette
>to say. In any case, this posting of "What's New" to USENET is also
>an experiment. If people outside the USA object to this sort of
>news from the states, then let me know, and I will restrict the
>distribution to the USA. Since what goes on in Washington effects
>physics world wide, I don't expect there will be a need to limit
>distribution.

    This is the sort of thing that a lot of the world feels insulted
about.  Why do you presume, without a second thought that the US is
the center of the universe?  There has been debate about this for
a few weeks now on net.politics.
    Perhaps we might be interested in some major announcement about
SDI or  such, but there can't be many of that importance. If there
were technical announcements, or articles, then that would be
interesting.  However if you're just going to post listings of
contract awards, etc. please save us the phone bills of forwarding
such 'stuff'. It's just not that interesting.

Cheers,		Fred Williams