[net.physics] Lightening

jp@lanl.ARPA (07/16/85)

Lest anyone become confused, lightening is the phenomenon of the descent
of the uterus into the pelvic cavity occuring toward the end of pregnancy.

Lightning is a luminous electric discharge in the atmosphere.

Got it now??

Jim Potter jp@lanl.arpa

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/16/85)

In article <28361@lanl.ARPA> jp@lanl.ARPA writes:

>Lest anyone become confused, lightening is the phenomenon of the descent
>of the uterus into the pelvic cavity occuring toward the end of pregnancy.
>
>Lightning is a luminous electric discharge in the atmosphere.
>
>Got it now??
>
>Jim Potter jp@lanl.arpa

FLAME!

Having had, over the last 14 months, been intimately involved with the
conception, gestation, successful delivery and subsequent upbringing of
2 healthy children, and having, more recently, observed the phenomenon
of luminous electrical discharge in the atmosphere, and havin, in the article
Mr. James Potter refers to, explained my observations of a phenomenon
which only a complete fool could mistake for anything other than luminous
electric discharge in the atmosphere, you're damned right I've got it now!

The sort of completely non-informational reply and the invariable flame it
demands clutters the net with pointless nonsense. The intent of my article
was to put forth my observations for discussion regarding those observations,
NOT to have my occasional slip of fingers or spelling rules pointed out in
a totally non-productive way.

Sorry, folks, but what my discussion has to do with the above's reply
completely eludes me and everyone else here that has read said reply.

jp@lanl.ARPA (07/17/85)

Reply by mail failed.

Don't be so quick to take offense, sir.  I deliberately did not aim my
admittedly sarcastic note directly at your article.  The occasion was
merely the 300th time such spelling has occurred.  Yours was obviously
a slip of the fingers since.

My favorite misspelling by supposedly educated physicists is not
"lightening" anyway, it's "magnent"!

So return your burner to low and I'll crawl back into my hole.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (07/17/85)

> >Lest anyone become confused, lightening is the phenomenon of the descent
> >of the uterus into the pelvic cavity occuring toward the end of pregnancy.
> >
> >Lightning is a luminous electric discharge in the atmosphere.
> >
> >Got it now??
> >Jim Potter jp@lanl.arpa
>
> FLAME!
> The sort of completely non-informational reply and the invariable flame it
> demands clutters the net with pointless nonsense.

A good many people misspell lightning; I though Jim's gently humorous
response was completely inoffensive (not to mention informative - I'd
never heard of lightening before).  I don't believe it "demands" a flame
in response.  Unfortunately the gentlest of helpful corrections can be
misconstrued as a vicious personal attack by those desiring to do so.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/21/85)

there is a big difference between lightening and lightning.  i suggest
those of you who flamed jim better look in a dictionary before flaming
in reply.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (07/30/85)

As it happens, lightning was consistently misspelled in the subtitles of
"The Emerald Forest".  How embarassing.

No, I don't know what that has to do with physics.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall