[net.physics] This news group

wayne@pur-phy.UUCP (Wayne K. Schroll) (07/14/85)

     I read this newsgroup when I can't get a big enough laugh from net.jokes
or net.flame, because of the total absurdity of the majority of the articles
posted.  It appears as if most of the posters are lost in a Niven-like fantasy
universe where one may invent physical "facts" when knowledge falls short.

     We have people insisting on the existence of the ether, varying the speed
of light, saying that quantum mechanics is still much in debate, arguing about
what mass is, posing self-contradictory relativity questions, this list is
almost endless. We have such great statements as "radio is like light but
slowed down" and "gravity is grainy" (paraphrased). Where do people get this
crap?

     I propose two solutions to this problem :

  1) Abolish net.physics and create two new groups. Net.physics.true and
     net.physics.make-believe where articles would be posted to the approp-
     riate group.

  2) Before you submit an article, READ ABOUT THE SUBJECT IN A PHYSICS BOOK.
     This will serve a two-fold purpose. It will reduce the idiocy in this
     group and the poster will run a far smaller chance of making a fool out
     of his/her self.

>      We have people insisting on the existence of the ether, varying the speed
> of light, saying that quantum mechanics is still much in debate, arguing about
> what mass is, posing self-contradictory relativity questions, this list is
> almost endless.

Although much of the recent discussion has been ill-founded,
it is not wise to pooh-pooh every idea that differs from the
conventionally-accepted body of "knowledge".  Some of the
best ideas in physics at first sounded rather strange to the
majority of practitioners.

The real distinction should be between "crisp" and "fuzzy"
theories.  A "crisp" theory should be sufficiently complete,
precise, and interpretable that others are able to derive new
predictions from it and perform experiments to test them
(when the predictions differ from those of the conventional
theory).  A "fuzzy" theory is not formulated well enough to
allow this.  Nevertheless, a "fuzzy" theory, if intelligible,
may spark the work needed to produce a good "crisp" theory.

As an example, suppose someone suggested "perhaps both the
electromagnetic and gravitational field are really part of a
single entity".  (Assume for the moment that we can ignore
quantum considerations.)  Now, that is a "fuzzy" theory in
that it tells us nothing about how to formulate relevant
mathematical models or how to make predictions.  However, if
there is a refinement like "suppose in Einstein's formulation
of general relativity we subsititute a nonsymmetric field for
the metric tensor and carry through the usual variational
derivation of field equations", then we have a relatively
"crisp" theory which we are able to test.  (This example
turns out to not quite work, but it comes surprisingly close.)

The thing is, the current state of physical knowledge is
pretty good but it is incomplete.  In fact, there are real
conceptual problems with fundamental theories such as QED.
Several famous physicists have expressed dissatisfaction
with current theories and have investigated alternative
theoretical approaches.  This should not prevent working
physicists from applying the ideas they have been taught in
school, but it should perhaps remind them that what we now
"know" is not the final word.

Having said all this, I have to agree that the ether and
grainy gravity patter has been not only "fuzzy", but near
unintelligible.  This makes it have little value.  On the
other hand, discussing what is meant by "mass" is not a bad
idea.  I suspect most working physicists cannot answer that
question, except to say that mass is the "m" in their
formulas.  To most epistemologists, that is an unsatisfactory
answer; the question deserves better.

gv@hou2e.UUCP (A.VANNUCCI) (07/16/85)

>      I read this newsgroup when I can't get a big enough laugh from net.jokes
> or net.flame, because of the total absurdity of the majority of the articles
> posted.  It appears as if most of the posters are lost in a Niven-like fantasy
> universe where one may invent physical "facts" when knowledge falls short.
>
>      We have people insisting on the existence of the ether, varying the speed
> of light, saying that quantum mechanics is still much in debate, arguing about
> what mass is, posing self-contradictory relativity questions, this list is
> almost endless. We have such great statements as "radio is like light but
> slowed down" and "gravity is grainy" (paraphrased). Where do people get this
> crap?
>
>      I propose two solutions to this problem :
>
>   1) Abolish net.physics and create two new groups. Net.physics.true and
>      net.physics.make-believe where articles would be posted to the approp-
>      riate group.
>
>   2) Before you submit an article, READ ABOUT THE SUBJECT IN A PHYSICS BOOK.
>      This will serve a two-fold purpose. It will reduce the idiocy in this
>      group and the poster will run a far smaller chance of making a fool out
>      of his/her self.

 	I wholeheartedly agree with solution number 2. I personally enjoy
very much chatting about PHYSICS with people that know physics and I am
quite bothered by those who litter this newsgroup with questions that are
answered in chapter 1 of any textbook on the subject. However, I am bothered
even more by those who answer such questions with meaningless jibberish
that indicates that they know even less about the subject than the person
asking the question.  Thus, I propose the following addendum to solution 2 :

    2b) Before you submit a follow-up to an article ask yourself: " Is it
        likely that among all the people reading this article I am the
        one that knows the most about this subject ?"  If the answer is not
        an emphatic YES, keep in mind that your posting will appear alongside
        the follow-up postings of people that know more than you, and you
        are rather likely to make a fool of yourself.

	If rules 2 and 2b were followed, the volume of stuff in net.physics
would probably be reduced by a factor ten, but the amount of real substance
will certainly increase dramatically.

		Giovanni Vannucci
		AT&T Bell Laboratories      HOH R-207
		Holmdel, NJ 07733
		hou2e!gv

wayne@pur-phy.UUCP (Wayne K. Schroll) (07/19/85)

In article <11571@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>>      We have people insisting on the existence of the ether, varying the speed
>> of light, saying that quantum mechanics is still much in debate, arguing about
>> what mass is, posing self-contradictory relativity questions, this list is
>> almost endless.
>
>Although much of the recent discussion has been ill-founded,
>it is not wise to pooh-pooh every idea that differs from the
>conventionally-accepted body of "knowledge".  Some of the
>best ideas in physics at first sounded rather strange to the
>majority of practitioners.   ....
>                                              ....    On the
>other hand, discussing what is meant by "mass" is not a bad
>idea.  I suspect most working physicists cannot answer that
>question, except to say that mass is the "m" in their
>formulas.

     Please do not misunderstand my previous posting. I, by NO means
intend to "pooh-pooh" a new idea that differs from conventionally-accepted
body of knowledge. We are all too familiar with the scepticism that greeted
the birth of quantum mechanics. I only meant to point out that there are
certain established FACTS which are proven and immutable, therefore it is
most definately a waste of time to dispute or attempt to discredit them.
Namely :
	1) There is no ether. ref : Michelson and Morley (1881), Kennedy (1926)
				    and Illingworth (1927)
        2) The speed of light in vacuum is the same for all observers who
	   are in uniform, rectilinear, relative motion and is independent
	   of the motion of the source. Its free space value is the universal
	   constant c given by Maxwell's equations. ref : Einstein (1905)
	   note : There is some speculation that c may depend on the size of
	   the universe, i.e. Hubble's constant, but it will take many years
	   to accrue the neccessary data.
        3) Light is light, be it visible, radio, radar or UV. The quantum of
	   electromagnetic energy is the photon. It  travels at velocity c
	   in free space (see 2).
        4) Gravity is non-granular. It is a field and its quantum is the
	   (as yet) conjectured graviton.  On scales smaller than the Planck
	   length, it is uncertain what its nature is.
        5) We have all seen many special relativity paradoxes. They are all
	   resolvable under close enough scrutiny. They are, however, at
	   times, amusing brain teasers.
        6) Propagation of information at velocities greater than c (free space)
	   has not been observed nor predicted by any sound theoretical
	   formulation.
        7) Uri Geller - absolutely no comment.
     I agree with your attitude toward an insightful understanding of such
fundamental entities such as mass, and I rather enjoyed the clear answer
posted. (Sorry I don't recall who.) However, such basic concepts are quite
lucidly covered in texts such as Halliday and Resnick. Again, I must state
I am not "pooh-poohing" all the articles, just the ones where a little
reading would have made the posting more enjoyable for all concerned. After
all, doesn't the beauty of physics lie in its fundamental predictions of
a very confusing universe, rather than its basis being one of fantasy?

     W. K. Schroll

jp@lanl.ARPA (07/19/85)

> >      I read this newsgroup when I can't get a big enough laugh from net.jokes
> > or net.flame, because of the total absurdity of the majority of the articles
> > posted.  It appears as if most of the posters are lost in a Niven-like fantasy
> > universe where one may invent physical "facts" when knowledge falls short.
> >

> >      I propose two solutions to this problem :
> >
> >   1) Abolish net.physics and create two new groups. Net.physics.true and
> >      net.physics.make-believe where articles would be posted to the approp-
> >      riate group.
> >
> >   2) Before you submit an article, READ ABOUT THE SUBJECT IN A PHYSICS BOOK.
> >      This will serve a two-fold purpose. It will reduce the idiocy in this
> >      group and the poster will run a far smaller chance of making a fool out
> >      of his/her self.
>
>  	I wholeheartedly agree with solution number 2. I personally enjoy
> very much chatting about PHYSICS with people that know physics and I am
> quite bothered by those who litter this newsgroup with questions that are
> answered in chapter 1 of any textbook on the subject. However, I am bothered
> even more by those who answer such questions with meaningless jibberish
> that indicates that they know even less about the subject than the person
> asking the question.  Thus, I propose the following addendum to solution 2 :
>
>     2b) Before you submit a follow-up to an article ask yourself: " Is it
>         likely that among all the people reading this article I am the
>         one that knows the most about this subject ?"  If the answer is not
>         an emphatic YES, keep in mind that your posting will appear alongside
>         the follow-up postings of people that know more than you, and you
>         are rather likely to make a fool of yourself.
>
> 	If rules 2 and 2b were followed, the volume of stuff in net.physics
> would probably be reduced by a factor ten, but the amount of real substance
> will certainly increase dramatically.
>
> 		Giovanni Vannucci
> 		AT&T Bell Laboratories      HOH R-207
> 		Holmdel, NJ 07733
> 		hou2e!gv

All of this has a certain flavor of elitism that is all too prevalent in the
physics community.  I once knew a PhD physicist (Post-doc) that thought that
maybe you shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you had a PhD in physics.  The
technicians went right to work trying to set him straight.  I don't think
that they completely succeeded, however.

Perhaps a rational (and polite) way out of the dilemma would be to establish
a net.physics.expert similar to the astronomy group.   Then those who can't
(won't) lower themselves to converse with the unwashed heathens won't be
obliged to read their contributions/questions.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

jp@lanl.ARPA (07/24/85)

Before anyone complains too much about the postings to this group,
spend some time reading net.origins.

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (07/30/85)

> perhaps there should be a net.physics.expert as well.
> 	   Howard Hull
>      {ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | harpo!seismo } !hao!hull

> Perhaps a rational (and polite) way out of the dilemma would be to establish
> a net.physics.expert similar to the astronomy group.
>
> Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

This group is getting too large to read.  Two people independently came
up with this suggestion, unfortunately, the ARPA readers would have to
suffer getting both news group.  What say we vote on the issue of splitting
the group?

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/31/85)

In article <1059@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>> perhaps there should be a net.physics.expert as well.
>> 	   Howard Hull
>
>> Perhaps a rational (and polite) way out of the dilemma would be to establish
>> a net.physics.expert similar to the astronomy group.
>>
>> Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa
>
>This group is getting too large to read.  Two people independently came
>up with this suggestion, unfortunately, the ARPA readers would have to
>suffer getting both news group.  What say we vote on the issue of splitting
>the group?

After the recent flames against the PK stuff, and the fact that the incidence
of that sort have thing subsequent to that has dropped to below the noise
level, I find the current arrangement quite satisfactory. The range of topics
is very broad, which, to me, is one of the major attractions to this group.

I would vote NO on a .expert group, but, then again, I'm no expert.

Dick Pierce