[net.physics] Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

augeri@regina.DEC (Mike Augeri) (08/08/85)

I imagine that these questions probably have been asked before, but I have
not seen them during the time that I have been reading net.physics, so
here goes.  I can hear the experts saying "Oh boy, here we go again with
some more dumb questions."

In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, we are able to
determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
these elementary particles.  That is, I can determine the position and
momentum of my desk to a degree of accuracy limited only by the resolution
of the measuring equipment I use, whereas the Uncertainty Principle says
that no matter how accurate my measuring equipment, when it comes to the
individual particles making up the desk, it is fundamentally impossible to
even make the observation.

What is different about the individual particles and groups of particles?
Is it strictly a case of the measurement process itself disturbing the
individual particle, or is something else going on here?  For example, it
seems to me that if it is simply a matter of the measurement process
disturbing the particles we are trying to measure, then we just have to
find a measurement process that uses small enough particles so that they
won't disturb the particles we are trying to measure.  I am not saying
that such particles exist.  But in my opinion saying that "in principle,
it is impossible to measure the simultaneous position and momentum of a
particle" is quite different than saying that "the means to measure the
simultaneous position and momentum of a particle does not exist".  The net
result is the same, but the statements are different.

	Mike Augeri, DEC, Maynard MA USA

rimey@ucbmiro.ARPA (Ken Rimey) (08/08/85)

>In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
>cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
>elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, we are able to
>determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
>these elementary particles.

No, you cannot simultaneously determine the exact position and momentum of a
conglomeration either.

>What is different about the individual particles and groups of particles?

Your intuition about groups of particles is really an intuition about
relatively massive objects in the relatively large-scale everyday world.
The uncertainty principle is

	(unc. in pos) (unc. in momentum) >= h = 6.6E-34 Js

If you want to insure that some object is in its proper place to an
accuracy of 1 micrometer, the uncertainty in its momentum will be
6.6E-28 kg m / s.  To get the uncertainty in velocity, we divide by
the mass.  Let's say the thing weighs a milligram.  Then it will
likely have a velocity of the order of 6.6E-22 m/s - very small.
The problem is that everyday distances are large, and that everyday
masses are huge, by atomic standards.  The mass of an electron is
9.1E-31 kg; experiment with that number.

>Is it strictly a case of the measurement process itself disturbing the
>individual particle, or is something else going on here?
>
>	Mike Augeri, DEC, Maynard MA USA

Something else is going on here.  In classical mechanics, a particle
has a position and a momentum.  You can be uncertain about the
position and momentum, but so what?  Lack of knowledge doesn't
account for the discrete energy levels of a hydrogen atom.  In
quantum mechanics, what you don't know is also irrelevant.  However,
the state of particle simply isn't described by a position and
a momentum as in classical mechanics.

It makes sense to ask, given a particle in some state what might I
get if I measure its position or its momentum?  Given the state, I
could calculate probability distributions describing what I might
get.  If the distribution for the position measurement is very
tightly peaked around a single position, I say that the state has a
well-defined position.  If I measure the position, I almost always
get values very close to that particular one.  Similarly, a state
might have a well-defined momentum.  Can I have a state that has both
a well-defined position and a well-defined momentum?  No, there is no
such thing.

Say you have a single particle.  It is described by wavefunction, a
complex number for every point in space.  The Schrodinger equation
determines how this wavefunction changes with time.  If at some time
the wavefunction is zero someplace, looking for the particle there
then is guaranteed fruitless.  The probability of finding the
particle in a given place is given by the magnitude of the complex
number there squared.  (I should say "The probability of finding it
in a given region ..." but you know what I mean.)

Take the fourier transform of this wavefunction.  This gives you the
momentum space wavefunction, a complex number for each momentum.  This
determines the probability of finding the particle with a given momentum
in the same way as the position wavefunction determines the probability
of finding the particle with a given position.  Note that the momentum
wavefunction cannot be chosen independently of the position wavefunction -
it is the fourier transform of the latter.

Is it possible to have a function that is nonzero only in a very small
region, such that its fourier transform is nonzero only in a very small
region?  No, that is not possible.  The electrical engineers among you
may recall that the fourier transform of a narrow gaussian is a wide
gaussian and vice versa, that the fourier transform of a spike has
infinite extent, and so on.  This is the uncertainty principle.

I'll mention two questions that my explanation above doesn't address.
First, does this momentum wavefunction that I have defined really
relate to the p=mv we all know and love?  Sure.  Take a wavefunction
with a moderately peaked position distribution, and a moderately peaked
momentum distribution.  If you calculate how this wavefunction evolves
in time according to the Schrodinger equation, you will find that the
peak in the position wavefunction moves with a velocity corresponding
to the momentum at which the peak in the momentum wavefunction lies.

Second, if it is impossible to determine exact position and momentum
simultaneously, then what happens if I try?  Does lightning strike me
or what?  The only way I can think of to measure the position of a
free particle is to bounce another particle off of it.  If that other
particle is to have a well-defined position, there will be a large
uncertainty in its momentum, and it will transfer some of that
momentum to the particle whose position is being determined.  Some
people's reaction to this thought experiment is "Aha! So that's
what's really going on."  They are fooling themselves if they think
this is a non-mathematical explanation of why the uncertainty
principle is true.  The argument is circular.  The probe particle is
a large disturbance only because it itself must satisfy the
uncertainty principle.

						Ken Rimey
						rimey@berkeley

> In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
> cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
> elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, we are able to
> determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
> these elementary particles.

No, the same constraint holds.  Why do you think otherwise?

> Is it strictly a case of the measurement process itself disturbing the
> individual particle, or is something else going on here?  For example, it
> seems to me that if it is simply a matter of the measurement process
> disturbing the particles we are trying to measure, then we just have to
> find a measurement process that uses small enough particles so that they
> won't disturb the particles we are trying to measure.

But you can't!

> But in my opinion saying that "in principle,
> it is impossible to measure the simultaneous position and momentum of a
> particle" is quite different than saying that "the means to measure the
> simultaneous position and momentum of a particle does not exist".

Yes, these are different.  QM says that you cannot simultaneously
determine (the same component) of the position and the momentum of
any object with absolute precision; indeed, because the two are
Fourier transform pairs, the simultaneous uncertainties have to obey
	<x> <p sub x> >= (constant on the order of 1) * h,
where h is Planck's constant.  <quantity> means the RMS uncertainty
of a quantity.  This is a matter of fundamental principle, not of
insufficient cleverness on the part of the measurer.

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (08/09/85)

> In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
> cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
> elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, we are able to
> determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
> these elementary particles.  That is, I can determine the position and
> momentum of my desk to a degree of accuracy limited only by the resolution
> of the measuring equipment I use, whereas the Uncertainty Principle says
> that no matter how accurate my measuring equipment, when it comes to the
> individual particles making up the desk, it is fundamentally impossible to
> even make the observation.

You can not measure the simultaneous position and momentum of your desk to any
degree of accuracy.  QM applies to your desk as well and sets appropo limits.
There are gravity wave detectors, aluminum bars, that weigh several tons and
require QM to correctly describe them.

In the case of your desk, the limits set by QM happen to be many orders of
magnitude smaller than any measuring device available to measure its position
and momentum.

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (08/09/85)

> > Yet, we are able to
> > determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
> > these elementary particles.

To measure the conglomerate (a desk) to the absolute accuracy (atomic scale)
is just as "uncertain".  To measure the conglumerate to the same "percentage
of measure" as an atomic particle, of course is not so uncertain.
This is simply because 1% of the diameter of a conglomerate (the earth|desk)
is a much larger scale than 1% of the diameter of a neutron.

What the uncertainty principle seems to say that the information content
of a UNIT "space-time cube" is limited.  In other words space is "grainy"
and not continuous wrt a "point" test particle.   It is quasi-continuous
in terms of "delta function" test particles.  The measuring function also
seems to be "grainy".   Sort compounds the problem, like trying to read a
fuzzy type written word with blurry vision.

       -   -   NOTE: MAIL PATH MAY DIFFER FROM HEADER  -   -
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075              | FUSION |
| Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222       |  this  |
| pmk@prometheus.UUCP; ..seismo!prometheus!pmk.UUCP     | decade |
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (08/09/85)

> In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
> cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
> elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, ... I can determine the
> position and momentum of my desk to a degree of accuracy limited only by the
> resolution of the measuring equipment I use, whereas the Uncertainty
> Principle says that no matter how accurate my measuring equipment, when it
> comes to the individual particles making up the desk, it is fundamentally
> impossible to even make the observation.

OK, the problem is this:  Even desks are subject to Heisenberg's Uncertainty
Principle (which applies to many measurement pairs, but position and momentum
are particularly easy to grasp).  Perform the following (canonical) thought
experiment:  You have an electron under an ideal microscope, and you want to
look at it to find its position and/or momentum.  You must use a photon to
do this, which knocks the electron about, and (look up the experiment for a
clear explanation) is the derivation of the Uncertainty Principle:  you must
interact to measure, and the minimum interaction comes in units of h-bar/2.
(I am not doing this justice, sorry).

Now, put your desk under the microscope.  How do you propose to find out where
it is, or how fast it is going?  Ask it?  No, you bounce photons off of it.
It recoils...  and if you calculate the amount that your interaction screws up
the situation by, it comes out to (ideally) h-bar/2.

Why does it seem that desks are perfectly stable objects, that can have
perfectly definite positions even when they fly across your office at several
feet per second?  Because h-bar/2 is so incredibly tiny when compared to
sensible desk-measuring units (like furlong-stone-fortnights), that no-one can
possibly care about the difference.  (For reference, h-bar/2 (which is h over
4*pi), is .527E-34 joule-sec)  After all, the photons from your desk lamp
don't send your desk flying, do they?

I hope this helps.  Aggregate particles are bound by the same kinds of
behaviour required of sub-atomic particles, but they (and we) are so large
that we do not notice.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (08/10/85)

> In over-simplified terms Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that we
> cannot know the simultaneous position and momentum of an individual
> elementary particle with unlimited accuracy.  Yet, we are able to
> determine the simultaneous position and momentum of conglomerations of
> these elementary particles.  That is, I can determine the position and
> momentum of my desk to a degree of accuracy limited only by the resolution
> of the measuring equipment I use, whereas the Uncertainty Principle says
> that no matter how accurate my measuring equipment, when it comes to the
> individual particles making up the desk, it is fundamentally impossible to
> even make the observation.

Not really.  Heisenberg's principle states (more or less) that for quantities
related in a certain manner ("canonically conjugate"), the product of the
uncertainties in their measured values is of the order of Planck's constant.
The x-momentum (momentum along the x axis) and x-position of a particle are
canonically conjugate quantities, so cannot be simultaneously measured with
unlimited accuracy; however, the y-momentum and x-position are not canonically
conjugate, so they can be measured simultaneously without any problem.

If you could find sufficiently accurate measuring instruments, I suspect
you'd find the uncertainty in the x-momentum and x-position of your desk to
be, in fact, be of the order of Planck's constant.  The magnitude of this is
so small, however, that for "all practical purposes", your knowledge of the
position and momentum of your desk is accurate.
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (08/13/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

	Subject: Re: Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

  > Is it strictly a case of the measurement process itself disturbing the
  > individual particle, or is something else going on there? Can we
  > find a measurement process that uses small enough particles so that they
  > won't disturb the particles we are trying to measure?

	But you can't!
	           gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA>)

  I would like to prefix my comment to the above by few disclaimers:
       1) the opinions are mine, not my employers, his clients etc etc
       2) my opinions on QM are unorthodox - but I hope not in conflict with
          known facts (or even future one's)
       3) I agree, in this case (and others) with Gwyn : "You cant" in both
          accepted and other interpretations of the Quantum Noise, BUT
 I think that the fact that "there is no measurement process possible" which
 would determine p&q DOES NOT (necessarily) implies that 'it is strictly a
 measurement process itself, disturbing the particles..' . Actually I believe
 that Heisenberg analysis of different measurement setups is secondary  and
 accidental. There is something called the "fluctuations of the vacuum' which
 has nothing to do with measurement process. There is an 'intristic pressure'
 of the electron gas, which can be measured (as high pressure limit of conven-
 tional materials) and which can be calculated from the Uncertainity Principle.
 There is no measurement involved! This 'quantum pressure' is as real as an
 osmotic pressure in gas is real - neither is dependent on what WE know about
 the system. Once you accept the 'existence' of this disturbance, the Uncertain- ty Principle follows naturally as a special case. I consider the typical
 textbook presentation of Heisenbergs Principle AS CAUSE of the quantum rand-
 mness as a half-truth which cannot survive a critical analysis.
In other words 'even if you could determine p&q at the same time ( some believe
 that that is a meanigless statement) I believe that you would not be able to
 make exact predictions - just knowing the MACROSCOPIC potential and those
 exact initial conditions.'  We all agree, I think, that

	 Gwyn:"This is a matter of fundamental principle, not of
	insufficient cleverness on the part of the measurer."
 ...that you cannot measure both p&q.

  The difference of opinion is subtle and easy to be overlooked. The key, once
 again is the Einstein's definition of what is ' a complete description of
 reality'.  Later developments (Bell's uneqality and Aspects experiments)
 did not invalidated his remarkably logical definition, they just confirmed
 that it is indeed a fundamental principle that 'you cant' discover 'hidden
 parameters' which a clever experimenter can go after to circumvent Heisen-
 bergs principle.
      Accepting both Einstein's definition and Bell's analysis, it seems to
 me that 1) there is both p and q - 2) There is no way we can determine both.
 That in itself may be disturbing (that are things which WE cannot know) but
 it's not impossible (actually - it rather natural).

    The real issue - which I hope somebody will respond to is this: Bells ana-
 lysis killed the 'Hidden Parameter Theories'. OK - do the concepts of the
 'field' (these are related but non-identical concepts: Bohm's/Fenyes's
 Quantum potential, DeBroglies Pilot Wave, and this concept of the Quantum
 Fluctuations, taken outside of the context of QED) which is influencing
 the  microscopic particle, which is moving according to the Schrodingers eq.
 qualify as Hidden Parameters? I do not see how - and I am eager to learn.

                                              Peter M.