gwyn@BRL.ARPA (07/18/85)

From:  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>

"Metaphysics" was the name of a book by Aristotle.
It has come to mean the study of the ontological
aspects of the world, by which is meant pondering
whether there are "things" that "exist", and what
do these terms mean.  There are several opinions
held by reputable philosophers on these matters,
including:
	- "ideal" entities exist but all we can
	  detect are imperfect projections of them;
	- consciousness is primary and "existents"
	  are produced by acts of consciousness;
	- existence and consciousness are both
	  inventions of some divine entity;
	- there are real objects and consciousness,
	  each with specific innate characteristics,
	  and what is perceived is the result of
	  interaction of these.
The general idea is, "metaphysics" is the branch
of philosophy that treats the questions of what
is truly fundamental in existence or experience.
The branch that treats how we acquire knowledge
and what knowledge consists of is "epistemology".
There are other branches of philosophy such as
"ethics", "aesthetics", etc.

Physics is not normally considered to be closely
related to these; however, it should be apparent
that some questions in physics are fundamentally
epistemological questions.  Most physicists give
rather short shrift to metaphysical speculation,
on the grounds that the same general issues are
still unresolved after thousands of years of
debate and that physics can proceed without
answers to such questions.  It may be wrong,
but that seems to be the general consensus.

rimey@ucbmiro.ARPA (Ken Rimey) (07/19/85)

>	May I cordially request, without any reference to
>unscientifically proven matters, some explanation as to what
>the study of meta-physics concerns and all relevant details.
>
>		Moshe Eliovson
>		{allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte

The term meta-physics does not mean what you think it does.  Usually
written without the hyphen, it refers to a particular school of (non-modern)
philosophy that has no particular relationship to physics.  Perhaps
someone else can give us an authoritative definition.

"Meta" is often prefixed to the name of discipline, to indicate the
study of the language, assumptions, or methods of the discipline.
"meta-mathematics" has this kind of meaning.

It would be nice to have a term for speculation on questions like

	1.  Does there exist a finite theory that completely describes the
	fundamental behavior of matter in the universe?

	2.  Is there a simple and elegant mathematical formulation of this
	theory?  Why should there be?

	3.  Can we guess constraints on what this theory must be like?
	(Many general relativity enthusiasts would say yes.)

Meta-physics would seem the appropriate term, but it has already been taken.
As a kid, I was delighted to find zillions of entries for "metaphysics" in
our public library's card catalog.  But when I looked up the books on the
shelves, I found that they had nothing to do with physics or science.

(Actually, it was particularly disappointing because I hadn't been aware
of what non-modern philosophy was really like.  These books were full of
debates on mind vs. body, the nature of God, and the like.)

Maybe the interesting observation is that there just isn't much written
on questions like mine above.  People who actually know physics seem to
find that their time is better spent actually doing physics.

					Ken Rimey

michael@spar.UUCP (Not Bill Joy) (07/20/85)

In article <9161@ucbvax.ARPA> rimey@ucbmiro.UUCP (Ken rimey) writes:
>>	May I cordially request, without any reference to
>>unscientifically proven matters, some explanation as to what
>>the study of meta-physics concerns and all relevant details.
>> -- Moshe Eliovson
>
>The term meta-physics does not mean what you think it does.  Usually
>written without the hyphen, it refers to a particular school of (non-modern)
>philosophy that has no particular relationship to physics.  Perhaps
>someone else can give us an authoritative definition.
>
>"Meta" is often prefixed to the name of discipline, to indicate the
>study of the language, assumptions, or methods of the discipline.
>"meta-mathematics" has this kind of meaning.
>
>It would be nice to have a term for speculation on questions like
>
>	1.  Does there exist a finite theory that completely describes the
>	fundamental behavior of matter in the universe?
>
>	2.  Is there a simple and elegant mathematical formulation of this
>	theory?  Why should there be?
>
>	3.  Can we guess constraints on what this theory must be like?
>	(Many general relativity enthusiasts would say yes.)
>
>Meta-physics would seem the appropriate term, but it has already been taken.
>As a kid, I was delighted to find zillions of entries for "metaphysics" in
>our public library's card catalog.  But when I looked up the books on the
>shelves, I found that they had nothing to do with physics or science.
>
>(Actually, it was particularly disappointing because I hadn't been aware
>of what non-modern philosophy was really like.  These books were full of
>debates on mind vs. body, the nature of God, and the like.)
>
>Maybe the interesting observation is that there just isn't much written
>on questions like mine above.  People who actually know physics seem to
>find that their time is better spent actually doing physics. -- Ken Rimey

    Actually, meta-physics is simply the book that Aristotle wrote FOLLOWING
    his physics.

    A modern interpretation is that it refers to things independent of
    rigorous OBJECTIVE thought and especially scientific induction, though
    stuff like Chuang Tzu rarely makes it to the sunday supplement in this
    or any other culture.

    SMASH CAUSALITY!!

-michael

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (07/24/85)

[...]

Someone may have already posted this, but here's the origin
of the term "metaphysics".

Aristotle wrote a book called "physics", describing the workings
of the physical world as he perceived it.  After that, he wrote
a book about the spiritual world, gods/faith/higher realities, and
so on.  Whether or not he put a different title on this second
book has been lost to history.  By the Middle Ages, the second
book was called "metaphyics" because it came after (in Greek "meta")
the book on physics.

Now in the same way that metaphysics is in some sense a commentary
on those things that physics can't handle, the "meta" term has often
been used for topics that other particular disciplines can't handle.
For example, Godel's Theorem is often said to be "metamathematics"
because it talks about what math can and can't handle.  Recently,
the "meta" prefix has taken an abrupt change in direction and is
also being used to refer to semi-abstract rules governing the rules
of some other system.  Metamathematics sets down rules about the
way mathematics works.  Metalinguistic theories talk about the way
language affects our thinking.  And so on.

This causes difficulties when it comes to physics and metaphysics.
Metaphysics does not bear the same relation to physics that metamathematics
bears to math.  Metamathmetics IS mathematical and rigorous.  Metaphysics,
the word that started the whole mess, is only indirectly a commentary
on physics itself, and plays little part in the actual science.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

In article <9161@ucbvax.ARPA> rimey@ucbmiro.UUCP (Ken rimey) writes:

>The term meta-physics does not mean what you think it does.  Usually
>written without the hyphen, it refers to a particular school of (non-modern)
>philosophy that has no particular relationship to physics.  Perhaps
>someone else can give us an authoritative definition.

	You are essentially right. A little history is usefull here.
The term means "after physics" and is due to the fact that when (I
believe) Aristotle wrote his treatise on All Knowledge(I forget the
actual title) he couldn't think of a name for this subject and since
it was the chapter following the chapter on physics he calle the
chapter "After Physics" = Metaphysics. The closest "modern" field is
probably Parapsychology(which likewise has nothing to do with
Psychology). It is the 'study" of the supernatural/divine world.

>It would be nice to have a term for speculation on questions like
>
>	1.  Does there exist a finite theory that completely describes the
>	fundamental behavior of matter in the universe?
>
>	2.  Is there a simple and elegant mathematical formulation of this
>	theory?  Why should there be?
>
>	3.  Can we guess constraints on what this theory must be like?
>	(Many general relativity enthusiasts would say yes.)
>
>Maybe the interesting observation is that there just isn't much written
>on questions like mine above.  People who actually know physics seem to
>find that their time is better spent actually doing physics.
>
>					Ken Rimey

	What is the name of this field? There is at least *some*
material written on it, so the field "exists". Is there a name for it?
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (07/30/85)

> In article <9161@ucbvax.ARPA> rimey@ucbmiro.UUCP (Ken rimey) writes:
> >>	May I cordially request, without any reference to
> >>unscientifically proven matters, some explanation as to what
> >>the study of meta-physics concerns and all relevant details.
> >> -- Moshe Eliovson

> >It would be nice to have a term for speculation on questions like
> >
> >	1.  Does there exist a finite theory that completely describes the
> >	fundamental behavior of matter in the universe?
>
>     Actually, meta-physics is simply the book that Aristotle wrote FOLLOWING
>     his physics.
> -michael

Physics studies the "physical universe" ONLY.

Metaphysics  relates to the total universe.

We experience (measure) the "physical universe" and note the unfolding changes
(time).   But we logically know that three space implies a two and a one
dimensional space.  If information exists there it can't be (or interact with)
"matter", simply because it doesn't have volume.  But, perhaps the information
or matter of our world resulted from a decay of a quantity of information
normally confined to two space.  Voila! the big bang.  And we do need a
place for souls and the animal version "angels".  And what about God, let
us put him in one dimensional space and give him a density so great that
time passes at a zero rate or better the spread of his present is infinite.

How is information managed in three space?  It is conserved in amount?
are particles and photons just information operators?

Not only does the "LATER Physics" encompass a wider universe it can even
apply a wider viewpoint. Why not apply information theory to physics.

Because,  it to strange a thing to do.  But in meta physics it's not
strange at all.

       -   -   NOTE: MAIL PATH MAY DIFFER FROM HEADER  -   -
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075              | FUSION |
| Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222       |  this  |
| pmk@prometheus.UUCP; ..seismo!prometheus!pmk.UUCP     | decade |
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

> ...   But we logically know that three space implies a two and a one
> dimensional space.  If information exists there it can't be (or interact with)
> "matter", simply because it doesn't have volume.

Koloc, could you either explain what the hell you're talking about or
shut up?  It is trivial to take a projective subspace of three-space,
but no new physics results (just projections of 3-space physics).  And
in any case, what is this about "information" (whatever you mean by
that) having or not having volume?  Not to mention needing space-time
in a fundamental theory rather than just space.

> Not only does the "LATER Physics" encompass a wider universe it can even
> apply a wider viewpoint. Why not apply information theory to physics.

Fine, why not.  Various people have done so.

> Because,  it to strange a thing to do.  But in meta physics it's not
> strange at all.

It certainly isn't strange for people to come up with meaningless
mystical mumbo-jumbo when they talk metaphysics.

Theoretical physicists of the caliber of Einstein, Dirac, Feynman et
al. often proposed "strange" ideas in an attempt to better explain the
workings of the universe.  But in those cases, they had "crisp"
theories that could be accurately applied by others to derive specific
(predictive) results.  Words are symbols for concepts, and their
concepts were abstracted from specific referents.  How about telling
us what YOUR words/concepts mean, if anything?

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (08/05/85)

> > ...   But we logically know that three space implies a two and a one
> > dimensional space.  If information exists there it can't be (or interact with)
> > "matter", simply because it doesn't have volume.
>
> Koloc, could you either explain what the hell you're talking about or
> shut up?  It is trivial to take a projective subspace of three-space,
> but no new physics results (just projections of 3-space physics).  And
> in any case, what is this about "information" (whatever you mean by
> that) having or not having volume?  Not to mention needing space-time
> in a fundamental theory rather than just space.

     The metaphysics is quite different from  what  is  generally
taught  now,  yet it seems to result in pretty much the same phy-
sics.  What quantities in physics are more real?   We  physically
represent  a photon as two coaxial sinesoidal amplitudes of elec-
tric and magnetic fields, respectively.  But what  is  a  photon,
really.   Or an electron is a negatively charged particle subject
to the forces of electric and magnetic fields.  But, what  is  an
electron.

     We can identify the presence (at least past presence)  of  a
rabbit  by  the  distinctive tracks it makes in the snow but that
really doesn't tell us what a rabbit is.  They can be lovely warm
cuddly little  rodents.   I  think we can predict very much about
simple electromagnetic phenomena, but I  really  don't  think  we
understand  it.   What I am after is to deepen our understanding.
By understanding things better we may be able to simplify physics
even more and be able to predict a great deal more of the physics
phenomena which now can not be predicted.

     To answer or shed more light on what I  was  talking  about,
(see above), I think that there exists three very separate places
where information can exist and at least  in  two  of  them  con-
stantly  changes,  although  at  significantly  different average
rates.  In the beginning there was only  one  dimensional  space.
Nothing  existed  outside  of  this space, and there was only one
object in this space.  Time was meaningless in the sense that the
information  density  (field density, energy density) is infinite
there so time is frozen in the present.  Another way  of  looking
at it is that there is no past and no future, because the present
has crowded them out.

     Then existence  (information..)  was  released  into  a  two
dimensional  space  and  a  multiplicity of objects formed.  And,
later still information was released into three space.   Now  the
amount of information in three  space is not infinite (existence,
energy) and so the space is grainy.  But that space is quasi con-
tinuous by virtue  of  the fact existence (information) operators
of that space are delta functions.   Now  it turns  out that both
two space and three space can be mapped into 1 space (an infinite
number of times).   Without  information  in three space there is
no  coordinate  system, no measure or no points.  Introduction of
a single neutron in to three space (infinitesimal micro big bang)
would generate that "metric".

     Let's back up and look at it from another point of view.   A
movie  represents  reality so much so we pay to observe it.  As a
"rom" reality,  it  has  some  interesting  parallels  with  "our
observed  reality".  First there is limited information (but con-
stant in average grain number) for each time frame.  Second, time
passes  the  way it does in "reality", time is the hand over hand
creation and annihilation  of  "information  frames".   A  better
reality  (one  which  automatically  creates  "particles") is the
display we obtain by  viewing  a  television  monitor  displaying
information  it  receives from a television camera which its self
is viewing the screen of the same  monitor.   Such  a  model  has
"ram".   What  seems  to  be a grey blank screen suddenly becomes
"alive" with worms or vorticities, in other words "pseudo  parti-
cles".

     Relativity can be invoked also. Digitize the signal at a set
rate.   Then the time it takes to "paint" the new frame is longer
if there is  a  higher  "information  or  grain  density".   Time
dilates.   The framing rate goes down.  This is similar to a pho-
ton "eating its way" through the various information displays  of
our  reality.  Simplest is its path through a gravitational field
(vacuum). But it takes longer the higher the "grain"  density  of
the gravitational field is.

     This hypothesis is moving toward the  concept  that  "parti-
cles" aren't just a "display of information", but rather a combi-
nation or dual entity which has both "operator" and  "information
array"  components.   Further creation and annihilation functions
are coupled.  But enough said for now.  Certainly I did not  want
to talk of the  "ordinary  or trivial" view of one and two dimen-
sional spaces, which are "subsets" of three space.  The one space
and two  space I spoke of has quite the opposite meaning.

For now, get your self a video camera and monitor and go make an
artificial "reality". It's actually fun.  Then write the laws of
motion for your "pseudo particles" or observe their "half life".

       -   -   NOTE: MAIL PATH MAY DIFFER FROM HEADER  -   -
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075              | FUSION |
| Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222       |  this  |
| pmk@prometheus.UUCP; ..seismo!prometheus!pmk.UUCP     | decade |
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

> ... But what is a photon, really. ...  But, what is an electron.

Both a photon and an electron are concepts that are intended to
denote physical objects that in different ways appear to be
particulate.  The current conception of them is not so simple as
you described.

> What I am after is to deepen our understanding.

Good goal.

> In the beginning there was only one dimensional space.
> Nothing existed outside of this space, and there was only one
> object in this space.  Time was meaningless in the sense that the
> information density (field density, energy density) is infinite
> there so time is frozen in the present.  Another way of looking
> at it is that there is no past and no future, because the present
> has crowded them out.
>
>   Then existence (information..) was released into a two
> dimensional space and a multiplicity of objects formed.  And,
> later still information was released into three space.  ...

"Then"?  If time is frozen, how can it progress?  You are also
still not defining what your term "information" means; it cannot
be the same as in information theory..

> ...  Without information in three space there is
> no coordinate system, no measure or no points.  Introduction of
> a single neutron in to three space (infinitesimal micro big bang)
> would generate that "metric".

What introduces this neutron?  Why do you say that there can be no
metric without whatever it is you mean by information?

> For now, get yourself a video camera and monitor and go make an
> artificial "reality".  It's actually fun.  ...

Physics is supposed to be the study of real reality.  All this
speculation is interesting in its way, but it does not appear to
be driven much by observations of the real world.  If it were
more quantitative, perhaps it could be tested against reality.

Obviously, you wouldn't claim to have been around "at the
beginning" to watch the dimensions unfold as you describe.
So where do you find any evidence of these things?

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (08/07/85)

>   The current conception of an electron and photon is not so simple as
> you described.

Actually, I didn't give any or even my concept of them.

>> In the beginning there was only one dimensional space.
>> there .. . time is frozen in the present
>>   Then existence (information..) was released into a two
>> dimensional space and a multiplicity of objects formed.  And,
>> later still information was released into three space.  ...

> "Then"?  If time is frozen, how can it progress?  You are also
> still not defining what your term "information" means; it cannot
> be the same as in information theory..

Good point!  The assumption is that prior to existence outside of
one dimension there was only a potential existence in two space and
three space.  Also there was no "information, energy, matter" existing in
2/3 space either, so without information "to process" and infinite
number of (empty) frames are processed and time (outside of one dimension)
would pass at an infinite rate.  The "then" exists only outside of 1D.

Information relates to the location of existence grains, and therefore
to their existence and non-existence.  Anything detectable, noticeable,
connotes information.  Gravitational grains and ink in a newspaper head
line are examples.

An analogy:
The average grain density per frame motion picture film can be determined
by counting.  A motion picture of a rock generates many frames of information
and the grain location in each frame are unique.  So too, a neutron is
a constantly framing entity. The location of the "existence or information"
grains in a neutron do not repeat and are unique and that is true of all
neutrons in the universe.  The framing rate for neutrons can be calculated
from Planck's constant, it's mass, and the speed of light.

>> ...  Without information (matter) in three space there is
>> no coordinate system, no measure or no points.  Introduction of
>> a single neutron in to three space (infinitesimal micro big bang)
>> would generate that "metric".
>
> What introduces this neutron?  Why do you say that there can be no
> metric without whatever it is you mean by information?

It was intended as a "thought experiment".  The introduction of a modest
amount of existence into three space, (the big bang) then allows that
existence to form particles (matter) as determined by the logic of the
operator and array handling process, the physics of 3-space.

The fact that there is a metric means that there is information and therefore
existence in space; that means matter exists (and its far field distributions).

>> For now, get yourself a video camera and monitor and go make an
>> artificial "reality".  It's actually fun.  ...

> Physics is supposed to be the study of real reality.  All this
> speculation is interesting in its way, but it does not appear to
> be driven much by observations of the real world.  If it were
> more quantitative, perhaps it could be tested against reality.

.. . of three D reality.  The quantity of observations is not so important
in generating the basis for speculations about the deep secrets of nature.
Quality is.

We study reality by modeling.  And the speculation here is capable
of being modeled qualitatively at first and then with coarse quantitative
estimates.  Then with more reshaping of the model, the results will become
more satisfactory.

There are areas that a metaphysical approach could help.  One large gap
in physics is the lack of understanding of charge, electromagnetic fields
and gravitational fields.  The viewing these fields as being "grainy
information fields" certainly simplifies things and can bring more
physical artifacts to be predictable or calculable.

Can you set up the video experiment, observe the "pseudo particles" and
then write the physics laws of their motion or half life?  If you can,
then can generalize them, you will have a great start in solving more of
the mysteries of the universe and estimating real physical quantities not
possible with present physics.  I have a couple of ideas of quantities to
estimate as well as interpret gravitational, electric and magnetic fields
in terms of forms of an "information" field.

Let's get this off the net, because I don't think there is anyone interested
in this dialog.    Mail through seismo, as noted below.

SLONG@USC-ISIE.ARPA (08/08/85)

>    Physics studies the "physical universe" ONLY.
>
>    Metaphysics  relates to the total universe.
>
>    We experience (measure) the "physical universe" and note the unfolding changes
>    (time).   But we logically know that three space implies a two and a one
>    dimensional space.  If information exists there it can't be (or interact with)
>    "matter", simply because it doesn't have volume.  But, perhaps the information
>    or matter of our world resulted from a decay of a quantity of information
>    normally confined to two space.  Voila! the big bang.  And we do need a
>    place for souls and the animal version "angels".  And what about God, let
>    us put him in one dimensional space and give him a density so great that
>    time passes at a zero rate or better the spread of his present is infinite.
       | Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075              | FUSION |
       | Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222       |  this  |
       | pmk@prometheus.UUCP; ..seismo!prometheus!pmk.UUCP     | decade |

I am cautious of such statements as these,perhaps out of historical
evidence rather than empirical evidence.  Because we cannot DETECT it
(whatever the IT may be per the particular discussion) does not imply
it is not a part of the physical universe.  How long have atoms, molecules,
electrons, nutrons, and protons been a part of the physical universe?
Ever since the universe began.  However, it is only recently (in the span
of man's time, that the existence of such has been acknowledged.
If we all said "Seeing is believing", much of our technology thought impossible
years ago would still be impossible.  But some have been daring
enough to dream (going to the moon!??!) and differ with current
thought so as to learn what was there to learn.  Because we cannot yet
understand
mental powers (or is "abilities" more appropriate) does not mean they are
non-existent, and more so, does not imply they are not part of the
"physical" universe.  Quite the contrary. If they exist, they are part
of it.  My thoughts as an individual are indeed a very integral part of
this universe.  They are able to bring changes to physical matter (what about
using a nuclear weapon - someone's mind devised it).  We simply do not yet
have the total integrated psychophysical understanding to
explain it all.  THOUGHT --> CONCEPT  --> ACTION = PHYSICAL IMPACT.We have much to learn about the interrelationship of mind and matter.

Personally, I do not believe the two are separable until death.  Then my
being ceases to have an impact from the thought level on the physical universe.
The other is for net.religion.  Let us not be quick to boot out ideas that
are new, though different.  I saw some references to Einstein saying though
he was "adventurous" in his thoughts, others could verify his
arguments.  Not so.  His ideas were rejected by the "scientific community"
for years before they accepted them.  None the less, he continued.  Let us
be careful to remember history so we avoid the mistakes of the past -- even
in physics.

  --  Steve

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (08/11/85)

> I saw some references to Einstein saying though
> he was "adventurous" in his thoughts, others could verify his
> arguments.  Not so.  His ideas were rejected by the "scientific community"
> for years before they accepted them.  None the less, he continued.

This is historically inaccurate.  Einstein's theories, published in
1905, attracted attention quite early.  Poincare, who died in 1912,
was an early champion.  Einstein received his Ph.D. in 1905, and
by 1910 was already a FULL Professor.  In 1912 he accepted the
prestigious chair of theoretical physics at the Federal Institute
of Technology, Zurich, and in 1914 became titular Professor of
Physics and Director of Theoretical Physics at the Kaiser Wilhelm
Institute (Berlin).  He was 35 at the time, barely nine years away
from his Ph.D.  This just isn't what happens to you when the
"establishment" is rejecting your ideas!

Even if the original statement had been accurate, I would question
the logic of the original posting.  It is the same old "they all
laughed at (fill in name of famous person), therefore my pet
idea must be correct" non sequitor that we see justifying many a
crackpot idea.  Do we have to have this in net.physics?  Let's
keep this kind of reasoning in net.origins, where it belongs!

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

gjphw@iham1.UUCP (wyant) (08/15/85)

> > I saw some references to Einstein saying though
> > he was "adventurous" in his thoughts, others could verify his
> > arguments.  Not so.  His ideas were rejected by the "scientific community"
> > for years before they accepted them.  None the less, he continued.
>
> This is historically inaccurate.  Einstein's theories, published in
> 1905, attracted attention quite early.
>                                             Bill Jefferys

 I would like to amplify what Bill Jefferys said about A. Einstein.  There
 was no time, to my knowledge, when Albert or his ideas/theories were
 considered crank or dismissed by the scientific community.  Albert always
 dwelt with the major issues in physics at the turn of the century.

 Einstein's difficulties with the scientific community stemmed not from
 his physics but from his personality.  As a young man, Albert was almost
 insufferably arrogant.  In the small academic community of 1900, the
 reputation and character of any aspiring university professor would be
 well known to most established departments.  His arrogance was in part
 to blame for Albert's inability to land a university position right out
 of college (which, with some help, led to the patent office job, which
 allowed Albert ample spare time without pressure to consider the grand
 design and operation of the universe, which produced papers on the
 photoelectric effect, special relativity, and some of the concepts toward
 general relativity).

                            Patrick Wyant
                            AT&T Bell Laboratories (Naperville, IL)
                            *!iham1!gjphw

mcgeer%ucbkim%Berkeley@sri-unix.ARPA (08/16/85)

From:  mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley (Rick McGeer)

>> I saw some references to Einstein saying though
>> he was "adventurous" in his thoughts, others could verify his
>> arguments.  Not so.  His ideas were rejected by the "scientific community"
>> for years before they accepted them.  None the less, he continued.
>
>This is historically inaccurate.  Einstein's theories, published in
>1905, attracted attention quite early.  Poincare, who died in 1912,
>was an early champion.  Einstein received his Ph.D. in 1905, and
>by 1910 was already a FULL Professor.  In 1912 he accepted the
>prestigious chair of theoretical physics at the Federal Institute
>of Technology, Zurich, and in 1914 became titular Professor of
>Physics and Director of Theoretical Physics at the Kaiser Wilhelm
>Institute (Berlin).  He was 35 at the time, barely nine years away
>from his Ph.D.  This just isn't what happens to you when the
>"establishment" is rejecting your ideas!

True, but it should also be noted that Einstein's champions told the
authorities at Zurich when Einstein was under consideration for the post
there that they should ignore Einstein's strange ideas about light particles,
he was a very bright fellow otherwise...

Historical curiosity only!  Einstein's ideas clearly were thought interesting
enough -- innovative, testable, mathematically rigorous -- even in 1905 to be
published in Naturschwiffen....

>Even if the original statement had been accurate, I would question
>the logic of the original posting.  It is the same old "they all
>laughed at (fill in name of famous person), therefore my pet
>idea must be correct" non sequitor that we see justifying many a
>crackpot idea.  Do we have to have this in net.physics?  Let's
>keep this kind of reasoning in net.origins, where it belongs!

Indeed.  If anyone reads Einstein's original articles (well, translations...)
and compares them to the dreck that shows up in net.physics....well, you get
the idea.

					Rick

mikes%orville@sri-unix.ARPA (08/16/85)

From:  mikes@orville (Peter Mikes)

	Subject: Re: Re: meta-physics

	This is historically inaccurate.  Einstein's theories, published in
	1905, attracted attention quite early.  Poincare, who died in 1912,
	was an early champion.  Einstein received his Ph.D. in 1905, and
	by 1910 was already a FULL Professor.

		Bill Jefferys  8-%
		Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)

   It was not really that smooth as you make it sound. He was not able to
   get a job in his field when he graduated. His  early work on Irreversible
    Thermodynamics and Brownian motion, even though important and excellent,
   was practically ignored and his first professorship in Prague was not
   considered very desirable. Let's face  it: The system did not work that well
   even then. Yet it did work eventually. I agree with you that it was the
   strength of logic of his papers which got them accepted and won him the
   influentual support. It was not the argument "they all laughed.." , but
   the physical meaning ( path to the experiment ) of his theory which did it.
     That is what should guide us in this net.physics : we should avoid 'ha ha'
  as an argument and also '"they" always laugh argument. Some of "they" always
  laugh, there were some who did even got angry at relativity!
 In physics.net we should concentrate on the logic of the posting (if any..)!
   					               Peter
.