[net.physics] Questions about fundamental constants, gravity, electrons

pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (08/14/85)

From:  Patrick_Duff <pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

   In place of some of the stupid questions that have recently been
discussed, I'll pose some (perhaps equally stupid) questions:

   From time to time I hear or read about speculations that the values of
the fundamental constants *could* be different now than they were 10**n
years ago (given a suitably large value of n, as long as it is after the
big bang plus one minute).  Is this complete idiocy, or do some physicists
take the possibility seriously?

   What about speculations that the values of the fundamental constants
*could* be different in another part of the universe?  There seem to be
two possibilites, either that there is a continuous, gradual change, or that
there is an abrupt change at "domain walls" separating various regions of
the universe.  The claim is made that we could not detect such variations
since all of our measurements of distant phenomena are made locally, and
hence are subject to transformations due to local conditions.  Should these
speculations be ignored, or do they have some merit?

   Accepting for the moment that the value of one of the fundamental
constants (pick one!) could be changed, would it vary independently of the
others or would some of the other constants change too?  What are the
relationships between the so-called "fundamental" constants, if any?  Which
of them seem to have unconstrained and hence "arbitrary" values?

   Has anyone heard more concerning the formulation of gravity as a push
from infinity (analogous to the pressure inside a balloon) which is
attenuated by mass instead of its more common formulation as a pull between
masses?  Last I heard there wasn't a way to distinguish between the two
possibilities via experimentation, since all of the various experiments
which researchers came up with would give the same results either way.  If
the push from infinity formulation is correct, then it seems to me that
adding or removing mass from the universe would change the gravitational
constant everywhere in the universe, though I'm not sure whether adding
mass would increase it (more pressure) or decrease it (more attenuation).

   I've heard that there may only be one electron in the whole universe,
which explains why all of the electrons we observe have exactly the same
charge and mass.  Does anyone understand how one gets the observed universe
which appears to have *lots* of electrons from just one particle?  What
about the two electron spin states, and positrons (just one anti-electron
in the whole universe?)?  Or is the one-electron theory full of holes
(sorry about that--I couldn't resist!)?

   regards, Patrick

   Patrick S. Duff, ***CR 5621***          pduff.ti-eg@csnet-relay
   5049 Walker Dr. #91103                  214/480-1659 (work)
   The Colony, TX 75056-1120               214/370-5363 (home)
   (a suburb of Dallas, TX)

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (08/14/85)

From:  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>

(1) Change in values of "fundamental constants" over time.
(2) Change in values of "fundamental constants" over the universe.

	These are related issues since space and time are interrelated.

	The real question is, what is meant by "fundamental constant"?
	If this means anything, it must mean a quantity whose numerical
	value is not arbitrary; otherwise it would be an accidental
	parameter of a specific configuration of the universe and thus
	would not be truly "fundamental".

	So what qualifies as a fundamental constant?  At the current
	state of knowledge, there seem to be two categories of such
	constants.  The first and simplest consists of pure (unitless)
	numbers, such as the fine-structure constant.  The second
	consists of everything else believed to be intrinsic properties
	of the physical world.

	Such "constants" as the speed of light, density of water at STP,
	Planck's constant, and Newton's gravitational factor are not
	numerically constant at all, but depend on the units of
	measurement.  However, to the extent that they measure something
	inherently real (as opposed to conventional), they qualify as
	fundamental physical constants.  Because they are constrained by
	reality, their values are constrained to change in definite ways
	when the system of units is changed.  By generalizing from this
	observation, one arrives at invariance groups and the tensor
	calculus.

	Now, because physics is more than (space-time) pointwise local,
	to compare events at one point of space-time with events at
	another, some "transport mechanism" is required to carry the
	quantities determined at one such event to another so that the
	two sets of quantities can be compared.  Such a mechanism is
	known (the "affine connection" field), and Einstein's general
	theory of relativity is based on it.  (Actually, the first
	formulation of general relativity did not use such a general
	viewpoint, but Levi-Civita, Weyl, and others developed the
	transport-mechanism viewpoint to such a degree that it is now
	the natural way to formulate relativistic field theory.)  The
	full development of the purely affine theory leads to much more
	than just a theory of gravitation; I did a Master's thesis on
	this very subject.

	So, if physical quantities are going to vary over the space-time
	manifold, they're going to have to follow quite definite known
	rules of behavior.

	Of course, pure numerical (unitless) physical constants cannot
	vary from point to point if they measure something truly
	fundamental.  Several famous theoreticians have gotten quite
	interested in deriving the values of such pure numbers.  The
	names of Dirac and Eddington spring to mind in this connection.

(3) How are the fundamental constants related?

	Well, the speed of light is just a conversion factor between
	space and time units, which were separate for historical
	reasons.  Minkowski seems to have been the first to appreciate
	this point.

	The Newtonian gravitational constant relates units of energy
	(or mass) to those of space-time, according to the source-free
	formulation of general relativity.

	Various other presumably-fundamental constants can be combined
	to produce pure numbers; the "fine-structure" constant (roughly
	1/137) is the most famous such pure number.  It is not currently
	known whether such pure numbers measure local conditions or
	universal conditions; this is the same question as above.

(4) Gravity as a "push" instead of a "pull".

	The best theory of gravitation (general relativity or its
	nonzero-torsion generalization) is not expressed in terms of
	attraction or repulsion.  Therefore I find this question
	uninteresting.

(5) Only one electron in the whole universe.

	This sounds like an idea attributed to Feynman and Wheeler.
	The idea is that a positron can be considered an electron
	going backward in time.  If one thinks solely in terms of
	particle collisions in space-time, it becomes possible to
	propose that there is only one electron/positron trajectory
	zigzagging back and forth in time to produce all the
	electrons and positrons that we observe.  The only real
	advantage to this theory is that it definitely accounts for
	the observation that all electrons have identical fundamental
	characteristics such as charge and rest mass.

	However, I am not at all fond of infinite-particle theories
	and think that a pure field theory is conceptually much
	cleaner (presumably, if the QCD type of theory is any good,
	it is exactly equivalent to a pure field theory -- if only we
	could magically perform all the Feynman integrals).  The main
	drawback to a pure field theory is that it is not known to
	be able to explain quantization, but there are certainly
	some unexplored possibilities in that direction.  (One of them
	is the question I asked some weeks back on this list, to which
	no one responded.)

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (08/16/85)

In article <495@sri-arpa.ARPA> pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa writes:
>   I've heard that there may only be one electron in the whole universe,
>which explains why all of the electrons we observe have exactly the same
>charge and mass.  Does anyone understand how one gets the observed universe
>which appears to have *lots* of electrons from just one particle?  What
>about the two electron spin states, and positrons (just one anti-electron
>in the whole universe?)?  Or is the one-electron theory full of holes
>(sorry about that--I couldn't resist!)?

It Goes like this:  It has been suggested that an anti-particle is just a
normal particle going backwards in time.  For example if you show a movie
of an electron curving in a magnetic field backward it would lokk just
like a movie of a positron in the same field going forward.  Thus there is
only one electron looping through time so we see it many times.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

tmb@talcott.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) (08/18/85)

In article <495@sri-arpa.ARPA>, pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa writes:
>    From time to time I hear or read about speculations that the values of
> the fundamental constants *could* be different now than they were 10**n
> years ago (given a suitably large value of n, as long as it is after the
> big bang plus one minute).  Is this complete idiocy, or do some physicists
> take the possibility seriously?

Yes, some physicists do. Several 'fundamental constants' may be tied to
the size of the universe as a whole, most notably the gravitational constant.

>    What about speculations that the values of the fundamental constants
> *could* be different in another part of the universe?  There seem to be

It is possible that certain fundamental constants are tied to quantities
like space curvature or (to name something far-fetched) neutrino density
in some not yet understood manner. Of course, the term 'fundamental constant'
would be a rather dubious description of those quantities if either spatial
or temporal variation occurred, and a theory describin their behaviour
would probably suggest suitable re-placement constants.

>    Accepting for the moment that the value of one of the fundamental
> constants (pick one!) could be changed, would it vary independently of the
> others or would some of the other constants change too?  What are the

Who knows. Since we don't know where fundamental constants come from,
since there is no theory predicting them, there is no way of answering
that question (and indeed the question is wrong if fundamental constants
are really constants). I am sure, though, that if you ask ten different
professors of physics they will give you ten different answers about
possible relationships among fundamental constants.

>    Has anyone heard more concerning the formulation of gravity as a push
> from infinity (analogous to the pressure inside a balloon) which is
> attenuated by mass instead of its more common formulation as a pull between
> masses?  Last I heard there wasn't a way to distinguish between the two

If there is no way of distinguishing between the two theories, then
they are really one and the same theory.

What the effect of adding or removing mass from the universe is
on the gravitational constant in either theory is open to speculation
(and definitely not open to experiment).

>    I've heard that there may only be one electron in the whole universe,
> which explains why all of the electrons we observe have exactly the same
> charge and mass.  Does anyone understand how one gets the observed universe
> which appears to have *lots* of electrons from just one particle?  What

That is only a question of definition. Except for spin, all electrons
seem to be identical. Therefore, if you detect an interaction with an
electron at some point in space, you cannot tell which electron it is.
Therefore, you might as well take all the 'electron clouds' in the
universe together, and call the resulting probability distribution of
interaction with an electron 'the' electron.

For practical (or rather theoretical) purposes this makes absolutely
no difference, since when you work out the behaviour of a system,
you assume it to be in complete isolation anyhow, i.e. you take
into consideration only those parts of the system that are really
necessary to give you a reasonable answer.

> Or is the one-electron theory full of holes
> (sorry about that--I couldn't resist!)?

It is not a theory, it is merely a matter of definition. It seems to
be just the kind of thing that many people like to quibble about
fruitlessly for long times, without, of course, coming to a solution.
It falls into the same category as the multiple worlds interpretation of QM.

						Thomas.

mikes%orville@sri-unix.ARPA (08/19/85)

From:  mikes@orville (Peter Mikes)

    I recall the idea of "one elctron/positron" zig-zagging the spacetime
 as being attributed to Dirac. It is indeed possible to dream up many ex-
 planation s which do not have experimental implications - that's why the
 Occam razor - properly used - is necessary.
    Doug, could you please restate your question about unexplored possibilities
 of explaining quantization in QCD ?   It mussed have been buried somewhere
 - I do not recall noticing it.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (08/20/85)

>    In place of some of the stupid questions that have recently been
> discussed, I'll pose some (perhaps equally stupid) questions:

Your questions were refreshing non-stupid!

>    From time to time I hear or read about speculations that the values of
> the fundamental constants *could* be different now than they were 10**n
> years ago (given a suitably large value of n, as long as it is after the
> big bang plus one minute).  Is this complete idiocy, or do some physicists
> take the possibility seriously?

Many physicists take this question quite seriously.  However, it turns out
that they are fairly confident that (at least several) constants have been
constant for at least several million years:  they found this natural nuclear
reactor in France, a deposit of uranium ore in spongy rock.  Every time it
rains, the water acts as a moderator, and spontaneous fission happens.  By
now,  the deposit is fairly well depleted of fissile uranium, but by analyzing
the abundances of various isotopes present, they have determined that this
thing has been going, more or less constantly, for (I think) several hundred
million years.

Why is this interesting?  The absorption of a slow neutron by U-235 is the
result of a resonance effect (which overcomes the normal tendancy of the
neutron to just bounce off), and this resonance is somewhat of a chance
conspiracy of (in effect) several of the fundamental constants, which
determine the eigenstates of the U-235 nucleus.  These functions that
determine these eigenstates are very sensitive to changes in these
"constants", and it turns out that if the constants were much different at
all, U-235 would not be fissionable.  However, this pile of U-235 has been
fissioning constantly for hundreds of millions of years, placing the maximum
rate of change at something incredibly low (assuming of course that the values
did not change incredibly suddently microseconds before the molten rock
cooled).

>    What about speculations that the values of the fundamental constants
> *could* be different in another part of the universe?  There seem to be
> two possibilites, either that there is a continuous, gradual change, or that
> there is an abrupt change at "domain walls" separating various regions of
> the universe.  The claim is made that we could not detect such variations
> since all of our measurements of distant phenomena are made locally, and
> hence are subject to transformations due to local conditions.  Should these
> speculations be ignored, or do they have some merit?

These speculations do have merit, but (I believe) most physicists adopt the
hypothesis that everything is the same everywhere because (1) it is easy,
(2) it makes it possible to get work done, and (3) what few subtle clues they
can obtain without going out there indicate that the assumption is reasonable.

>    Accepting for the moment that the value of one of the fundamental
> constants (pick one!) could be changed, would it vary independently of the
> others or would some of the other constants change too?  What are the
> relationships between the so-called "fundamental" constants, if any?  Which
> of them seem to have unconstrained and hence "arbitrary" values?

I don't know.  My guess is that, since "fundamental constants" are an artifact
of explanation rather than root causes, whatever happens to change one of them
might or might not change others.

>    Has anyone heard more concerning the formulation of gravity as a push
> from infinity (analogous to the pressure inside a balloon) which is
> attenuated by mass instead of its more common formulation as a pull between
> masses?

I haven't heard of this one.

>    I've heard that there may only be one electron in the whole universe,
> which explains why all of the electrons we observe have exactly the same
> charge and mass.  Does anyone understand how one gets the observed universe
> which appears to have *lots* of electrons from just one particle?  What
> about the two electron spin states, and positrons (just one anti-electron
> in the whole universe?)?  Or is the one-electron theory full of holes
> (sorry about that--I couldn't resist!)?

As a guess, this sounds more like someone couldn't handle the idea of
postulating something distateful (a humongous number of indistinguishable
things) and postulated something complicated (poor, busy electron!).
I rather take the view that electrons are just explanations -- perhaps there
are little critters running around "down there", but they appear to be rather
perverse creatures--hence I try to avoid ascribing "common-sense" attributes
to them.  If you prefer, I avoid insanity by going quietly mad... :-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA