[net.physics] Frozen Stars

wasser@9227.DEC (John A. Wasser) (08/16/85)

>Incidentally, Russians refer to black holes as "frozen" stars because
>...the star appears to freeze up...
>            - Paul M. Koloc

	Another reason the Soviets call them Frozen Stars is that "Black
	Hole" is a gross obscenity in Russian.  If it wasn't they would
	probably call them Black Holes like the rest of the world.

		-John A. Wasser

ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (08/20/85)

> 	Another reason the Soviets call them Frozen Stars is that "Black
> 	Hole" is a gross obscenity in Russian.  If it wasn't they would
> 	probably call them Black Holes like the rest of the world.
>
> 		-John A. Wasser

Back when I was in college someone gave a talk entitled "A Black Look At
Black Holes."  Came the talk we found the lecture hall filled with about
30% scientific types and 70% humanities.  The humanities types began to
filter out when they realized the nature of the topic.  Presumably they
assumed the talk had something to do with race, although in any context
other than physics the expression is obviously offensive.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (08/23/85)

In article <275@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>Back when I was in college someone gave a talk entitled "A Black Look At
>Black Holes."  Came the talk we found the lecture hall filled with about
>30% scientific types and 70% humanities.  The humanities types began to
>filter out when they realized the nature of the topic.  Presumably they
>assumed the talk had something to do with race, although in any context
>other than physics the expression is obviously offensive.
>--

We often get "humanities types" at the physics colloquia here, especially
when the talks have exotic or "sexy" titles such as the above.
They probably begin to filter out when they realize that the talk is
technical in nature and therefore not understandable without some
background.

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra