[net.physics] Bottled birds?

bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) (08/28/85)

<<>>
OK, all you bird-lovers (P?); anyone want to comment on this situation?

Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
(of arbitrary species).  The bottle is placed on a garden-variety
bathroom scale (arbitrarily accurate), and the weight of the system
is measured with the bird sitting on the bottom of the *closed*
bottle.  Now the bird decides to fly around inside the bottle, and
the weight is read again.  Any weight difference?

Now, what if the bottle cap (massless, of course) is removed; again,
any weight difference?  What happens as the bird flies to the top of,
and eventually out of, the bottle?

We've tried this, but after squeezing a robin through the bottle neck,
it doesn't seem to want to fly.

-dan-

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (08/28/85)

[]
In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
>Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
>(of arbitrary species).  The bottle is placed on a garden-variety
>bathroom scale (arbitrarily accurate), and the weight of the system
>is measured with the bird sitting on the bottom of the *closed*
>bottle.  Now the bird decides to fly around inside the bottle, and
>the weight is read again.  Any weight difference?
>
>Now, what if the bottle cap (massless, of course) is removed; again,
>any weight difference?  What happens as the bird flies to the top of,
>and eventually out of, the bottle?

	While the bird is flying around in the bottle, it has
to move its wings in such a way that there is more pressure on
their bottom surfaces than on their tops.  A side effect is
that air currents are created which cause increased pressure
on the bottom of the bottle.  Thus the bird's weight affects
the scale exactly as if it was sitting on the bottom of the
bottle.
	When the air inside the bottle is no longer isolated
from the air outside, the forces do not necessarily balance.
It seems likely to me, however, that little change or none
will be caused by just opening the top of the bottle.
	When the bird flies out of the bottle, the downward
push that it exerts on the air will not register on the scale,
but rather will act on the floor or other surroundings.
So the weight reading decreases.
	This is not exactly intuitive, because the pattern of
forces is complex.  But if you *really* *believe* that
Newton's third law applies to each little piece of the complex
pattern, then you can expect it to apply to the aggregate of
them.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

rdp@teddy.UUCP (08/28/85)

In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
><<>>
>OK, all you bird-lovers (P?); anyone want to comment on this situation?
>
>Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
>(of arbitrary species).  The bottle is placed on a garden-variety
>bathroom scale (arbitrarily accurate), and the weight of the system
>is measured with the bird sitting on the bottom of the *closed*
>bottle.  Now the bird decides to fly around inside the bottle, and
>the weight is read again.  Any weight difference?

A similar puzzler was given in an old Scientific American (maybe 20
years ago). Seems there was this guy with a panel truck filled with
pigeons. He comes to a rickety old bridge, gets out, and starts
banging on the side of the truck. A local farmer is watching this
spectacle and asks the driver why he is doing this. The driver responds
"Because I don't think the bridge will support both my truck and the
birds, so I want to get the birds flying around while I drive over".

The question is, will the birds flying around make any difference. The answer
is, in an airtight, or nearly airtight container (truck, bottle, etc.) there
will be no difference. Why? because the birds exert a downwards force equal
to their mass times the acceleration of gravity. This force is the same
whether they are sitting or flying. In the former case, that force is
counteracted by the bed of the truck(or the bottom of the bottle). In the
latter case, the counter-acting force is supplied by the air, and in turn, by
the bed of the truck (etc.). There will be no difference in average
weight (I say AVERAGE, because there may be slight differences when the birds
move up or down).

>Now, what if the bottle cap (massless, of course) is removed; again,
>any weight difference?  What happens as the bird flies to the top of,
>and eventually out of, the bottle?
>
>We've tried this, but after squeezing a robin through the bottle neck,
>it doesn't seem to want to fly.

Try bees! Or mayonnaise jars for the bird!

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (08/29/85)

> In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
> ><<>>
> >OK, all you bird-lovers (P?); anyone want to comment on this situation?
> >
> >Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
>
> Answer...
> >
> >We've tried this, but after squeezing a robin through the bottle neck,
> >it doesn't seem to want to fly.
> >
> Try bees! Or mayonnaise jars for the bird!

I tried a mayonnaise jar, but it didn't want to fly either!

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

You have violated Robots Rules of Order, and will be asked to leave The Future!

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (08/29/85)

In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
> Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
> (of arbitrary species).  The bottle is placed on a garden-variety
> bathroom scale (arbitrarily accurate) [...]

... and we're asked if the reading on the scale depends upon whether the
bird is flying and whether the bottle is open.  I'll add a question: if
it makes no difference, does the weight on a scale increase because a
bird (or a plane, or, for that matter, Superman) flies overhead?

This question is the basis for a bizarre joke about somebody delivering
3 tons of parakeets in a 1-ton truck, and having to pound on the wall
behind him "to keep 2/3 of them in the air."  Jack Paar told it on the
Tonight Show and Hugh Downs, his announcer, stopped the show dead by
explaining that 3 tons of parakeets could not possibly fit into a panel
truck (Downs must have a physics degree... or maybe even something
worse, like math).

As for me, every morning I get on my bathroom scale with my parakeet,
Braak, standing on my finger.  If the reading is greater than that for
the previous day, I give Braak hell.

Yes, I know this isn't physics.  Turn off those accelerators.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

douglas@cxsea.UUCP (Douglas Wells) (08/29/85)

> []
> In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
> >Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
> >and eventually out of, the bottle?

[Christopher J. Henrich - replies]
> 	While the bird is flying around in the bottle, it has
> pattern, then you can expect it to apply to the aggregate of
> them.

Consider the following reductio ad absurdam, and I think the answer
becomes obvious.

Allow the opening to the bottle to become infinitely large.

Independent Truckers - The last American Cowboys

Douglas

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (08/31/85)

> I tried a mayonnaise jar, but it didn't want to fly either!
> ...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

I tried a mayonnaise jar, too, but the dadgum bird got away, and now
there's mayonnaise all over the &%$#"! place.
							Bartholomew

rdp@teddy.UUCP (09/03/85)

In article <313@cxsea.UUCP> douglas@cxsea.UUCP (Douglas Wells) writes:
>> []
>> In article <457@petfe.UUCP> bobp@petfe.UUCP (Bob Philhower) writes:
>> >Given:  A bottle, (of arbitrary size), containing one (1) bird
>> >and eventually out of, the bottle?
>>
>[Christopher J. Henrich - replies]
>> 	While the bird is flying around in the bottle, it has
>> pattern, then you can expect it to apply to the aggregate of
>> them.
>
>Consider the following reductio ad absurdam, and I think the answer
>becomes obvious.
>
>Allow the opening to the bottle to become infinitely large.

I tried doing that, and the thing got so heavy it broke by bathroom scale.