[net.physics] Cancelling EM waves

DHowell.ES@Xerox.ARPA (09/14/85)

Here's a new subject to think about, start aguments, etc.

Let's say I have a device that emits an electromagnetic wave.  I put a
certain amount of energy into it, and get most of that energy out as an
electromagnetic wave (the rest being lost to heat in the wires).

Now I set up another one of these, and place it exactly one wavelength
away from the other.  I have them emit in the same direction so that the
waves overlap and are in phase.  Now the output of this system is an
elctromagnetic wave with the same frequency and twice the amplitude.
I'm putting twice as much energy in and getting twice as much energy
out.

Here's the question...  If I place them half a wavelength apart so that
they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel.  Now I appear
to be getting no energy out of this system, at least not in the form of
EM waves.  I am still putting as much energy into the system.  All I did
was move one of the devices.  What is happening to the energy?  Is there
an output in another form of energy?  Is it building up in one of the
devices somewhere?

Dan <DHowell@Xerox.ARPA>

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (09/16/85)

+---------------
| Let's say I have a device that emits an electromagnetic wave.  I put a
| certain amount of energy into it, and get most of that energy out ...
| Here's the question...  If I place [two of] them half a wavelength apart so
| that they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel.  Now I appear
| to be getting no energy out of this system, at least not in the form of
| EM waves...  What is happening to the energy?... | Dan <DHowell@Xerox.ARPA>
+---------------

Sorry.

The waves only "cancel" on a line directly through the two devices. They
add to a lesser or greater degree at other, off-axis, angles. All you have
done is change the radiation pattern of the system, NOT the total energy
emitted. Radio stations do this all the time to control their directional
pattern so they don't (for example) waste kilowatts on open ocean...

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (09/16/85)

++
> Here's the question...  If I place [two identicle electromagnetic sources
> operating at some frequency] half a wavelength apart so that
> they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel.  Now I appear
> to be getting no energy out of this system, at least not in the form of
> EM waves.  I am still putting as much energy into the system.  All I did
> was move one of the devices.  What is happening to the energy?  Is there
> an output in another form of energy?  Is it building up in one of the
> devices somewhere?
> Dan <DHowell@Xerox.ARPA>

The key is to think of the problem in three (or even two) dimensions.
True, along the line passing through the two points, you will have
exactly canceled the transmission; and also at certain points in the
plane or space.  But generally, there will be regions of destructive
interferance and of constructive interferance.  That is, you can find
a point where you are an even multiple of wavelengths from both transmitters,
and will observe twice the amplitude.  Just as much energy is being radiated,
but the pattern will be more complicated.  This is used quite often for AM
(FM?) broadcasts.  There will be an array of six or eight transmitter towers
placed such that the resulting waves cancel in one direction and add in the
other (more or less).   This way, a station in New York can transmit over
an area of which New York is not the center, to avoid interference with a
station in Philly while covering Connecticut.
-Mark Garrett

student@nmtvax.UUCP (09/16/85)

In article <> DHowell.ES@Xerox.ARPA writes:

>Let's say I have a device that emits an electromagnetic wave.  I put a
>certain amount of energy into it, and get most of that energy out as an
>electromagnetic wave (the rest being lost to heat in the wires).
>
>Now I set up another one of these, and place it exactly one wavelength
>away from the other.  I have them emit in the same direction so that the
>waves overlap and are in phase.  Now the output of this system is an
>elctromagnetic wave with the same frequency and twice the amplitude.
>I'm putting twice as much energy in and getting twice as much energy
>out.
>
>Here's the question...  If I place them half a wavelength apart so that
>they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel.  Now I appear
>to be getting no energy out of this system, at least not in the form of
>EM waves.

Nope. When you put two of these one wavelength the amplitude does
NOT double. Instead there are twice as many photons emitted, each
photon with energy E = h f where h is Plank's constant and f is
the frequency in Hertz. The waves (photons) will destructively
interfere only along the line of the antennas. At any angle there
will not be complete interference so EM waves will propagate out
with energy happily flowing out of the antennas.

Sincerely;
Greg Hennessy

..ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!student

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (09/17/85)

In article <543@sri-arpa.ARPA>, DHowell.ES@Xerox.ARPA writes:
> Let's say I have a device that emits an electromagnetic wave...
> Now I set up another one of these, and place it exactly one wavelength
> away from the other.  I have them emit in the same direction so that the
> waves overlap and are in phase.  Now the output of this system is an
> electromagnetic wave with the same frequency and twice the amplitude.
> I'm putting twice as much energy in and getting twice as much energy
> out.
>
> Here's the question...  If I place them half a wavelength apart so that
> they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel...

First of all, the amount of energy in an electromagnetic wave is proportional
to the square of the amplitude, so if the devices are completely in phase, the
energy output will be four times as large.  So something is definitely amiss.

The answer is that the amount of work it takes to create an electromagnetic
wave (or any electromagnetic field, for that matter) depends on the
pre-existing electromagnetic field.  This is analogous to mechanical force and
energy:  If you apply a constant force to an object, the amount of energy
transferred to the object depends on its velocity.

We can also analyze your specific example.  Any device that emits light does
so because electrically-charged particles in it are vibrating.  It is not only
the case that a vibrating charged particle creates an electromagnetic wave,
but also an electromagnetic wave causes a charged particle to vibrate.
Anyway, the electromagnetic wave from the first device would cause those very
particles in the second device to vibrate, and would therefore change the
behaviour (either amount of output or the energy consumption) of the second
device in such a fashion that energy is conserved.
--
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      ^  ^^

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (09/17/85)

     True, directionalisation of the antenna system is common in AM
stations.  However, the use of directional antennas in FM is not
very common.  The problem is obtaining sufficient directionalisation
in the XY-plane (say the Z-axis is normal to the point on the earth
where the tower is) without introducing severe "multipath like" distortion.
It would, for example, be very very easy for an FM station to just
stick up an ordinary Yagi-Uda directional antenna, but as you were driving
on a road in the "minor lobes" or nulls, you would get severe interference
due to constantly changing phase and amplitude from the various elements.

     However, directionalisation in the family of Z planes is common,
to obtain antenna gain. Here, you are simply "squashing" the doughnut
of a single dipole as you add more bays (not exactly true) so that
you don't radiate all that RF into free space.  The rate of change of
signals from the various elements would be very small (you'd have to climb
Pike's Peak in 2 minutes or so to get the "picket fencing" in thsi
plane!)

     In addition, most (if not all) modern FM stations use circular
polarisation, which is very tough to directionalise in the XY plane.
(I have yet to see "Cavity Backed Radiators" (tm) used in FM, which
have approximately a 120 degree coverage range. They also have no
gain over a dipole) FM stations are solely assigned on distance / power
criteria, and short spacing is rarely a problem (except in North Carolina,
and South Carolina).

     By the way: just what is it that is circularly polarized in a CP
antenna? Is it just that the vertical and horizontal E-fields are lagging
in phase quadrature (90 degrees) or something? A good (and rational)
explaination of this would be very helpful.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.
.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (09/18/85)

In article <542@petrus.UUCP>, mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:
> > Here's the question...  If I place [two identicle electromagnetic sources
> > operating at some frequency] half a wavelength apart so that
> > they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel.
> > Dan <DHowell@Xerox.ARPA>
>
> The key is to think of the problem in three (or even two) dimensions.
> True, along the line passing through the two points, you will have
> exactly canceled the transmission; and also at certain points in the
> plane or space.  But generally, there will be regions of destructive
> interference and of constructive interference...

Yes, this might happen with an antenna, but it certainly wouldn't happen with
a laser.  For an explanation of what happens when you do this experiment with
lasers or other planar (as opposed to spherical) light sources, see my other
posting.
--
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      ^  ^^

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (09/18/85)

[]
In article <543@sri-arpa.ARPA> DHowell.ES@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>Here's a new subject to think about, start aguments, etc.
>
>Let's say I have a device that emits an electromagnetic wave.
>Now I set up another one of these, and place ...
>                                   them half a wavelength apart so that
>they are 180 degrees out of phase, [so that] the waves will cancel.
>Now I appear to be getting no energy out of this system, at least not
>in the form of EM waves.  I am still putting as much energy into the
>system.  All I did was move one of the devices.  What is happening to
>the energy?

     The two waves do not exactly cancel; at some points they
do, but at other points they re-inforce each other.  So, if
the amplitude of one wave is 1, the amplitude of the combined
wave varies from 0 to 2.  What does this imply about the total
energy?  Well, the energy is a *quadratic* function of the
field strength, so it varies from 0 to 4.  Take an average,
for a rough guess, and you get 2.  Two sources, twice as much
energy.

     This can all be made very much more difficult, by trying
to decide exact patter of radiation is from each source, then
setting up and solving a messy integration problem...

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (09/18/85)

In article <542@petrus.UUCP> mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:
>++
>a point where you are an even multiple of wavelengths from both transmitters,
>and will observe twice the amplitude.  Just as much energy is being radiated,
>but the pattern will be more complicated.  This is used quite often for AM
>(FM?) broadcasts.  There will be an array of six or eight transmitter towers
>placed such that the resulting waves cancel in one direction and add in the
>other (more or less)........
>-Mark Garrett

Pick up an antenna theory book.  This will describe the large scale effects
of such a system.  A line of radiating dipoles is a linear array.  The same
thing is done in two dimensions, hence a planar array.  Vary the phase of
the currents in the dipoles and space the dipoles some integer multiple
of half a wavelength (arbitrary).  You will be able to direct the main
beam (or beams, depending on the array size) to any direction.  This type
of antenna forms the front-end of some of the nicest radars built.

usenet@ucbvax.ARPA (USENET News Administration) (09/21/85)

This discussion of EM waves triggered a thought. (I have
studied a lot of math but little physics ...)

Is it possible to direct radio waves towards a particular
location some distance away, in order to affect the behavior
of a person at that location? Is any research done on
questions like this? I would expect the Soviets would
have experimented with this kind of thing ...

Thanks very much,
     -Tom
      tedrick@berkeley

mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (09/24/85)

From:  mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)

	Subject: Cancelling EM waves

	Is it possible to direct radio waves towards a particular
	location some distance away, in order to affect the behavior
	of a person at that location? Is any research done on

 To get a good focus you should adjust your wavelength to the size of
 your target - also as you move to higher frequencies you get beter
 directionality - so I would suggest you try microwaves - if you direct
 enough energy on target it will have similar effect on him/her is micro-
 vawe owen has on frozen chicken. For more information, look under "Star Wars".