[net.music] JT?

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (04/20/85)

Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
friend that it comes from literature,  as does "Uriah Heap" (you all do
remember Uriah Heap don't you?).  Uriah Heap, I believe, had its origin
in a story by Charles Dickens.
--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

USENET: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA:   darrell@sdcsvax

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (04/22/85)

Jethro Tull invented something in England a few hundred years ago.
I think it had something to do with agriculture.
--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (04/22/85)

In article <803@sdcsvax.UUCP> darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
>Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
>friend that it comes from literature...
>--
>Darrell Long
>Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
>University of California, San Diego
  This is, once again, off the top of my head, since I don't keep my
reference materials here at work, but Jethro Tull had some fairly
important part in agronomy centuries ago in England.  Exact details
should be available in any comprehensive encyclopaedia.  As to why
Ian & company chose the name, I don't know; perhaps somebody else
can answer that question?
         - joel plutchak

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (04/22/85)

>/* darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) /  2:46 pm  Apr 20, 1985 */

>Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
>friend that it comes from literature,  as does "Uriah Heap" (you all do
>remember Uriah Heap don't you?).  Uriah Heap, I believe, had its origin
>in a story by Charles Dickens.
>--
>Darrell Long

Jethro Tull invented the seed drill in England, during (I believe)
the seventeenth century.

In my opinion, "Thick as a Brick" is a more important invention.

						Michael Sykora

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/23/85)

> Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
> friend that it comes from literature,  as does "Uriah Heap" (you all do
> remember Uriah Heap don't you?).  Uriah Heap, I believe, had its origin
> in a story by Charles Dickens.
> --

	Jethro Tull was an 18th century English gentleman farmer who made
interesting contributions to the study of agriculture as a science. You
can probably find his books in a good university library.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/23/85)

> should be available in any comprehensive encyclopaedia.  As to why
> Ian & company chose the name, I don't know; perhaps somebody else
> can answer that question?
>          - joel plutchak

	Ian Anderson did not join Jethro Tull until after the group
had already released a couple of albums.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

Rock.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA (04/23/85)

Jethro Tull popularised the use of horse-drawn ploughs ("the new
horse-hoeing husbandry") in England in the Middle Ages, thereby
precipitating the agrarian revolution.

You're right about Uriah Heap.

	Ian

steiner@topaz.ARPA (Dave Steiner) (04/24/85)

I once saw an interview of Ian Anderson on David Letterman.  Anderson said
that when the band was first starting out they kept changing there name so
that they could play at the same places (they were that bad).  When they
finally got some recognition their name happened to be Jethro Tull.

Don't know how true this story is, but that's what he said.

--
ds

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   Steiner@RUTGERS

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (04/24/85)

> Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
> friend that it comes from literature,  as does "Uriah Heap" (you all do
> remember Uriah Heap don't you?).  Uriah Heap, I believe, had its origin
> in a story by Charles Dickens.

  I believe Jethro Tull is the name of an early British farmer that
advocated some new ideas in farming (fertilizer?).

Bob Devine

adler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (04/25/85)

> Jethro Tull invented something in England a few hundred years ago.
> I think it had something to do with agriculture.

	I think it was the sowing tool, or something like that. I remember
learning that in high school. For one day, all the Rock fans learned some-
thing in history.
				Elliott

--
	{ihnp4|spike|rocky2|philabs|pegasus|esquire|cucard}!aecom!adler

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (04/25/85)

In article <803@sdcsvax.UUCP> darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
>Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?   I'm told by a
>friend that it comes from literature
>Darrell Long
>Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
>University of California, San Diego

"Jethro Tull (1674-1741) invented the seed-drill, pulverized the soil to
cultivate without manure, and introduced the horse-hoe from Languedoc."
A History of Technology, Singer et al. , Vol. III, Oxford U. Press 1957

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (04/25/85)

In article <> darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:

>Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?

Jethro Tull (1674 - 1741) was a British agronomist and inventor.  He is
most famous for the inventions of a seed-hole driller and the horse-drawn hoe.
He advocated several agricultural practices which are now commonplace, such
as careful placement of seed in the soil (as opposed to hand-broadcast),
and hoeing between rows to break up the soil.

What this has to do with music or Ian Anderson, I have no idea.

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (04/26/85)

In article <10152@brl-tgr.ARPA> Rock.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA writes:

>Jethro Tull popularised the use of horse-drawn ploughs ("the new
>horse-hoeing husbandry") in England in the Middle Ages, thereby
>precipitating the agrarian revolution.

Off on a tangent, does anyone know where I can get a copy of "The Ronette's
sing Mediaeval Agrarian History"?  I will send you a blank casette and
return postage...

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

pgseg@cal-unix.UUCP (Paul Guthrie) (04/26/85)

> In article <> darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
>
> >Does  anyone know the origin of the name "Jethro Tull"?
>
> Jethro Tull (1674 - 1741) was a British agronomist and inventor.  He is
> most famous for the inventions of a seed-hole driller and the horse-drawn hoe.
> He advocated several agricultural practices which are now commonplace, such
> as careful placement of seed in the soil (as opposed to hand-broadcast),
> and hoeing between rows to break up the soil.
>
> What this has to do with music or Ian Anderson, I have no idea.
>
> 				Scott Anderson
> 				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos

Everyone seems to know who Jethro Tull was, but nobody knows why the group
chose the name. This is the truth, and I heard it from an interview with
Ian Anderson a while back.

It seems that the group was playing London clubs and they were so bad
that no one would hire them back, so in order to get gigs they had to
change their name every week or so. "Jethro Tull" just happened to be
the name they were using when they got `discovered'.

					F.Y.I

					Paul Guthrie,
					seismo!umcp-cs!cal-unix

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (05/07/85)

"Englebert Humperdinck" is another second-hand name.  Many people do not
seem to know that he was a semi-famous composer who worked around 1910.
His most well-known work is the opera "Hansel & Gretel".  Whether the pop
singer is related and/or was named after the first guy by his parents or just
decided that it was a good name and should be used again I have no idea.
It seems too great a coincidence that there should be two of them by chance.

--------------------------------
Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{allegra|ihnp4}!sftig!mot!al  OR  {seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al
ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al
--------------------------------
History is just a repetition of the past.

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/07/85)

> In article <10152@brl-tgr.ARPA> Rock.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA writes:
> >
> >Jethro Tull popularised the use of horse-drawn ploughs ("the new
> >horse-hoeing husbandry") in England in the Middle Ages, thereby
> >precipitating the agrarian revolution.
> >

> Off on a tangent, does anyone know where I can get a copy of "The Ronette's
> sing Mediaeval Agrarian History"?  I will send you a blank casette and
> return postage...
> --
> Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
> (415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

  Sorry, My copy of The Ronettes sing Medieval Agrarian History is scratched.
I have got Pleasures of the Dance, a Collection of Norwegian Carpenters' Songs,
and World War Noises.

--Mr. Blore, in-house Detective for KAOS Radio, U. of Denver

(..World War Noises?  Is that the Ronettes?    No, the French and the Germans)

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (05/08/85)

> "Englebert Humperdinck" is another second-hand name.  Many people do not
> seem to know that he was a semi-famous composer who worked around 1910.
> His most well-known work is the opera "Hansel & Gretel".  Whether the pop
> singer is related and/or was named after the first guy by his parents or
> just decided that it was a good name and should be used again I have no
> idea.
> It seems too great a coincidence that there should be two of them by chance.
> --------------------------------
> Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A

The singer is not related at all to the composer, he was not born
with the name either. He changed it legally by deed poll, because
being new to his singing carreer, he thought people would better
remember the name Englebert Humperdinck than the one he was born with.
(It's true.... I can't remember what his origninal name was !!)

--
 [ Hey when I get it right;
                       will you tell me please;

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (05/14/85)

Jethro Tull was a 19th century agricultural innovator. Look it up
in a good dictionary or encyclopedia.

don@oakhill.UUCP (Don Weiss) (05/14/85)

[]

E. H.'s original name was Gerry (or Jerry?) Dorsey.  He had the same manager as Tom Jones, said manager deciding to give Gerry's career a boost by sticking an
unusual moniker on him.  Seems to have worked.