[net.physics] Human jamming...

wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (09/23/85)

> Is it possible to direct radio waves towards a particular
> location some distance away, in order to affect the behavior
> of a person at that location? Is any research done on
> questions like this? I would expect the Soviets would
> have experimented with this kind of thing ...
>    -Tom (tedrick@berkeley)

	If you expect the Soviets would do research on using radio
	against humans, you should also expect that the Americans
	(you know, US) would do the same research.

	I worked for a company that did a number of military
	contracts (mostly electronic counter-measures to protect
	planes from missile attack).  One of my coworkers with
	Secret clearance mentioned experiments to see if humans
	could be jammed by radio.  He didn't go as far as saying
	what the experiments showed but I got the impression that
	there was no useful effect.

	One sure way of effecting humans at a distance is to fry
	them with microwaves... either with a big radar or a
	high power maser.  The costal early warning systems (that
	track planes hundreds of miles away) are designed to send
	radar pulses at small private planes only every tenth scan
	to keep from cooking the pilot.  Someone at Raytheon was
	telling me about a missile control system that would bounce a
	powerful microwave source off a target to give the missiles
	something to home in on.  He said that even if the
	missiles missed, the pilot would be cooked (probably an
	exaggeration... but maybe not).

		-John A. Wasser

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (09/26/85)

In article <543@decwrl.UUCP> wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:

>> Is it possible to direct radio waves towards a particular
>> location some distance away, in order to affect the behavior
>> of a person at that location?
>>    -Tom (tedrick@berkeley)
>
>	One sure way of effecting humans at a distance is to fry
>	them with microwaves... either with a big radar or a
>	high power maser.
>	telling me about a missile control system that would bounce a
>	powerful microwave source off a target to give the missiles
>	something to home in on.  He said that even if the
>	missiles missed, the pilot would be cooked (probably an
>	exaggeration... but maybe not).
>
>		-John A. Wasser

Is it possible to direct radio waves?  Yes, and these devices are called
antennas.  Depending on the transmitter frequency, the main lobe of the
beam can be quite small, on the order of a few meters or less.  The tube
sources for RF power (klystrons, gyrotrons, BWO's, TWT's, ...) in these
devices are capable of producing sufficient power to harm someone.  The
power that one sees are affected by pulsing the sources.

An effective countermeasure is to take a high power source and pulse it.
The energy coming into a receiver can then be sufficient to cook the
front end of the other guy's device.  He knows this too, and is playing
a similar game.  This is the same phenomenon as the EMP from a nuclear
blast, an impulsive, high-powered radio wave.  It only takes one and bye
bye system.  The wave would be more spherical (no antenna in the blast to
direct the energy).  Much research is going on to harden integrated circuits
to withstand this type of phenomena.

In a seeker system, if it is an active system, the illumination of the
target is probably not sufficient to cause the death of the occupant or
occupants.  The logistics of generating that type of RF power for the
purpose would make the cost prohibitive.  There are cheaper ways of doing
the same thing.  The pulse power of the system would be enough to do
harm but effects are usually cumulative.  To fry someone would require
a large average power of RF.  Expensive.

There are long term effects due to exposure to radio frequency radiation.
Much research is being conducted in this area and being reported in the
open literature.  The August 1984 Transaction on Microwave Theory and
Techniques (IEEE publication) is devoted to microwave interaction with
biological systems.  There are many other journals which would report
similar material.  The effects that concern most people who work around
the stuff are damages to the eyes and genitals, you know the blind
leading the impotent.  I have not heard of any adverse psychological
effects of being exposed to RF energy, except perhaps paranoia.  I have
heard of some in-vitro experiments on certain neural tissue (of a type
of sea slug, I think) where the diffusion mechanism across a bilipid
membrane was stopped by an RF pulsed source for the duration of the
pulse.  The long term effect was to cause a total stoppage of the
mechanism.  I have of no other experiments, but I am sure that there
are more than Carter has pills.  (I don't find the subject overly
interesting at this point hence my lack of any great detail.)

floyd@brl.arpa

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (09/26/85)

> 	One sure way of effecting humans at a distance is to fry
> 	them with microwaves... either with a big radar or a
> 	high power maser.
> 		-John A. Wasser

I remember sitting on the 02 level of USS Dewey (DDG 45) and chatting
with a fire control type who informed me that the missile fire control
radars (SPF 55s, if I remember back that far) were officially classed as
weapons.  I've no idea if that's actually true, but it is interesting (not
to mention disturbing!) to note that perhaps we really do have death
rays...
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

schear@ttidcb.UUCP (Steve Schear) (10/08/85)

In article <543@decwrl.UUCP> wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:

>> Is it possible to direct radio waves towards a particular
>> location some distance away, in order to affect the behavior
>> of a person at that location? Is any research done on
>> questions like this? I would expect the Soviets would
>> have experimented with this kind of thing ...
>>    -Tom (tedrick@berkeley)
>
>	If you expect the Soviets would do research on using radio
>	against humans, you should also expect that the Americans
>	(you know, US) would do the same research.
>
>	I worked for a company that did a number of military
>	contracts (mostly electronic counter-measures to protect
>	planes from missile attack).  One of my coworkers with
>	Secret clearance mentioned experiments to see if humans
>	could be jammed by radio.  He didn't go as far as saying
>	what the experiments showed but I got the impression that
>	there was no useful effect.
>
>	One sure way of effecting humans at a distance is to fry
>	them with microwaves... either with a big radar or a
>	high power maser.  The costal early warning systems (that
>	track planes hundreds of miles away) are designed to send
>	radar pulses at small private planes only every tenth scan
>	to keep from cooking the pilot.  Someone at Raytheon was
>	telling me about a missile control system that would bounce a
>	powerful microwave source off a target to give the missiles
>	something to home in on.  He said that even if the
>	missiles missed, the pilot would be cooked (probably an
>	exaggeration... but maybe not).
>
>		-John A. Wasser
>
>Work address:
>ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
>Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
>Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER

While attending a well known west coast institute in the early seventies my
classmates and I did some unsponsored research into just this subject.  Using
a tunable microwave source we were able to interfere (at relatively low power
densities) selectively with the central nervous system of mice (and latter
humans).

We were able to do this by resonating certain activity sites on neurotrans-
mitter molecules rendering them temporarily inoperative.

No long term (one year) side effects were noted (then again we aren't M.D.s)
although several of the mice died (appearently because their ability to breathe
had been interrupted for too long an interval).

Since this research was unsponsored it was never published.  Several of the
team members had thought up some illegal (and perhaps lethal) uses for our
discovery, but to my knowledge it was persued no further.