[net.physics] auto tire pressures

I have a question and am open to speculation, theory, etc. concerning this.
Namely, how is the pressure inside an inflated auto tire affected (if at
all) by putting the car's weight on it?  I seem to notice a little bit of
difference between the pressure measured in a tire when it is on a loose
wheel and the pressure measured in the same tire when it has been mounted
on the car, but that could be measurement error.  Something is supporting
the quarter ton or so of force against the contact patch of the tire which
is not exactly a large area either--it's obviously not all air pressure that
is supporting it, yet you know that if you let out the air, the wheel will
come to rest against the ground with the tire squished beneath it, so the
air pressure is supporting SOMETHING, which is perhaps somehow proportional to
the weight on the tire (???).  So anybody who knows about this, especially
who could relate the theory behind this, please either post or send me mail
(I will summarize to net if warranted).  Thank you.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

rimey@ucbernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Ken &) (10/18/85)

>... Something is supporting
>the quarter ton or so of force against the contact patch of the tire which
>is not exactly a large area either--it's obviously not all air pressure that
>is supporting it, yet ...

Don't doubt so quick.  Calculate it.  Multiply the tire pressure (in pounds
per square inch) by the footprint size (in square inches).  You will get
a quarter of the weight of your car.

						Ken Rimey
						rimey@dali.berkeley.edu
						ucbvax!ucbdali!rimey

In article <483@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (that's me) writes:
>I have a question and am open to speculation, theory, etc. concerning this.
>Namely, how is the pressure inside an inflated auto tire affected (if at
>all) by putting the car's weight on it?  I seem to notice a little bit of
>difference between the pressure measured in a tire when it is on a loose
>wheel and the pressure measured in the same tire when it has been mounted
>on the car, but that could be measurement error.  Something is supporting
>the quarter ton or so of force against the contact patch of the tire which
>is not exactly a large area either--it's obviously not all air pressure that
>is supporting it, yet you know that if you let out the air, the wheel will
>come to rest against the ground with the tire squished beneath it, so the
>air pressure is supporting SOMETHING, which is perhaps somehow proportional to
>the weight on the tire (???).  So anybody who knows about this, especially
>who could relate the theory behind this, please either post or send me mail
>(I will summarize to net if warranted).  Thank you.

Thanks to all who responded.  Here is a summary of the responses.

From: ihnp4!twitch!grt

The air is supporting the tire.  For example, if the pressure is 25 lbs/in2,
and the load is 500 lbs, then the contact patch is 500/25 = 20 in2.  The shape
of the tire changes with the load, because the unloaded tire is holding the
pressure with the casing.  From the rim, the load pulls on the upper part of
the casing via the downward force on the lower part.  The bead in the edge of
the casing holds it together.  Tension all around the whole tire transfers the
load to the bottom, which deforms until the contact patch is the right size.
Low profile tires for racing are stiffer, so I assume that the sidewalls
contribute some support in that case.

By contrast, a racing bicycle tire holds about 100 lb/in2.  The rider + bike
is about 200 lbs, so the contact averages 1 in2 per tire.

	George Tomasevich, ihnp4!twitch!grt
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

From: ihnp4!oddjob!matt (Matt Crawford)

When the tire is held in the air the pressure of the air within
it exerts a force outward against the rubber.  This force does
not hold anything up against gravity because the forces, which
are always perpendicular to the containing surface, are directed
symmetrically about the center.  When you attach the wheel to an
axle the downward force exerted by the axle causes the tire to
deform. The forces near the bottom, which used to point (ahem)
radially outward get a greater vertical component because they
are perpendicular to a more horizontal surface there.  The defor-
mation stops when there is enough upward force to support the
load transmitted by the axle.  Tires are not flexible enough to
flatten at the bottom without decreasing their volume at the
same time, so the pressure goes up.  (You probably know that the
pressure will increase with temperature also.)

You can quote this if you want to.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

From: ihnp4!ihwld!gjphw

Hello Dan,

  This is just a brief response to your question concerning tire
pressures.

  To a good approximation, the ideal gas law can be used to get
an intuitive understanding for what happens to the air in a tire.
For the case that you describe, comparing a tire under load to
one that is not loaded (not on the car), the difference in air
pressure that you observe is probably due to the slight change
in volume caused by the weight of the car.  The car`s weight
causes the tire to deform which reduces the volume of the airspace
of the tire.  According to the ideal gas laws, for a fixed temperature,
a decrease in volume is accompanied by an increase in pressure.

  Examining the ideal gas law should provide the resolution to your
question.

                           Patrick Wyant
                           AT&T Bell Laboratories (Naperville, IL)
                           ihnp4!ihwld!gjphw

From: ihnp4!lanl!dxm (Douglas Miller)

As a first guess, I would try to explain it like this;
the axles rest on the tires, and the tires hold their shape because
of the air inside them.

Yes, when the car is resting on a tire, the pressure inside must go up
simply because the volume decreases (the car squeezes the tire).
The tire itself has some resistance to collapsing, but the main force
holding the car off the ground is the air pressure that makes the tire
retain its shape.

Hope this helps,

 Doug Miller                     dxm@lanl
                                 ....!ihnp4!lanl!dxm
Los Alamos National Laboratory,  P.O.B 1663 MS J960,  Los Alamos, NM 87545

From: Bill Pataky <ihnp4!seismo!gymble.umd.edu!umcp-cs!pataky>

	Ok, Here's my interpretation (I'm no math genius by any means).
The pressure exerted on the tire off the car is say X.  Weight of the
car is W, and is distributed evenly on all four wheels (in our case).
The surface  area on the inside of the tire including the steel on the
wheel is SA. All units are psi and lbs.  I would assume that the total
pressure can be expressed as:

			   ---
		            4
		TP = X + --------    (assuming no change in temperature)
			    SA

          Like I said, I'm no math genius, but if this isn't it, it's got to
be close since pressure is weight per area.  If you come up with anything
better than this, please let me know, you've got me thinking about it now.

	Bill Pataky

	Parallel Processing Lab
	University of Maryland

	pataky@gymble.umd.edu

From: nbires!rcd (Dick Dunn)

OK, for a simple way to look at it, assume that the tire is made out of
very flexible material.  Fill it up with air and put the car on it.  Now
measure the area of the patch in contact with the ground--how many square
inches?  Let's say a 4x5 patch = 20 sq. in.  How much of the car's weight
is resting on this tire?  Let's say 500 lb.  Then the pressure in the tire
is 25 psi (psi=pounds per sq in); it's that simple.  The reason for
starting with very flexible material is so that we don't have trouble
figuring the effective contact area--no grooves to worry about.

OK, next, with the tire still on the ground, pump it up to 50 psi.  Lots
less tire on the ground now--only 10 sq. in.

Now to your question, but coming at it backwards--if we take the weight off
the tire, what's the pressure?  Depends on the tire.  When we put the
weight on the tire, we squashed it and reduced the volume.  Pressure went
up in proportion to decrease in volume--but all this depends on the shape
of the tire.  If you want to visualize this, think of filling up a loose
bag with air--sort of a balloon that doesn't need to be stretched to fill
it, or maybe a basketball that's just got enough air that it's not flat but
not at all springy.  Take this loose container of air--it's got essentially
no difference in air pressure between inside and outside.  Now sit on it,
or put something (a car?) on top of it.  The pressure inside goes up as you
flatten it (reducing volume), and you can keep increasing the pressure
until it breaks.  As the pressure increases, the relationship between
surface area in contact with the ground, internal pressure, and weight
stays the same as I described above.  Same thing with the tire--the
pressure goes up as you apply weight, but just how much depends on the
shape of the tire, the amount of weight, etc.
---
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Simpler is better.

From: ihnp4!aoa!carl@bbncca

HI.
In answer to your query about auto tires: yes, the air pressure IS
all that holds up the car. Consider these two points:
1) if you take an inner tube, or air mattress, or whatever, attach
a pressure meter, andf squeeze the tube, the pressure reading will go up.
It's a simple application of pressure*volume= constant*temperature ( which
is why tire pressure goes up when the tire is hot, btw.).
2) Measure the approximate area of tire that touches the road, multiply
by 4 for the four tires on a car, multiply by the measured pressure, and you
get an answer in units of pounds. ( pressure in poynds per sqr inch multiplied
by area in square inches) This answer should be the weight of the car.
In case this sounds a little odd, remember that a tire pressure of zero is
actually a pressure equal to the atmospheric pressure, NOT zero pressure.

Hope this helps.
--
        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl

From: ihnp4!ucbvax!dagobah!doug

i have figured that the tire pressure goes up 0.24% when you put the
cars weight on it --  29.92 to 30.00 psi.

|        skokie, illinois        |