[net.physics] Friction

shuster@oblio.DEC (ROBERT L. SHUSTER) (10/22/85)

Here's another car/tire question:

It is very much easier to turn the wheel (using the steering wheel) of
a moving car than that of a stationary car.  The surface area of tire
on the road does not change as it begins to rotate.  The difference in
ease of turning, then, is the difference between friction on
stationary object and friction on a moving object.  What is the
mathematical relation, in this case, between the two frictions?  Can
this relation be generalized for other objects?

-R. Shuster

shuster@oblio.DEC (ROBERT L. SHUSTER) (10/22/85)

The car/tire problem:

Well, there's more here working than just friction.  There's torque
created by the spinning wheels, which aids steering of the wheels.
Ok, so this was a rather stupid problem...But I'm still interested in
a relation, if any, between the two frictions.

-R. Shuster

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (10/23/85)

++
> Here's another car/tire question:
> It is very much easier to turn the wheel (using the steering wheel) of
> a moving car than that of a stationary car.  The surface area of tire
> on the road does not change as it begins to rotate.  The difference in
> ease of turning, then, is the difference between friction on
> stationary object and friction on a moving object.  What is the
> mathematical relation, in this case, between the two frictions?  Can
> this relation be generalized for other objects?
> -R. Shuster

Actually, when the car is stationary, the friction is dynamic, and when
it is moving the friction is static!  The real issue is the friction
involved in the stress of the tire.  Suppose the car is stopped.  When
you turn the wheel slightly, you distort the tire somewhat.  The
footprint stays in the same place but the rest of the tire is moved.
As the car rolls forward, the tire comes back into shape, and the contact
patch re-orients itself to the direction of the rest of the tire.  If you
force the wheel when stationary, then you drag the contact patch across
the pavement (very difficult); if you are rolling, then the only friction
is that of the sheer forces inside the (distorted) rubber.  The faster
you are moving, the less the tire is distorted before being able to restore
its shape. Therefore, the steering resistance decreses with increasing
speed, although this function is very non-linear.
-MWG

> It is very much easier to turn the wheel (using the steering wheel) of
> a moving car than that of a stationary car.  The surface area of tire
> on the road does not change as it begins to rotate.  The difference in
> ease of turning, then, is the difference between friction on
> stationary object and friction on a moving object.  What is the
> mathematical relation, in this case, between the two frictions?  Can
> this relation be generalized for other objects?

Sure it can:  It is very much easier to bank a moving airplane than
a stationary one.  The surface area of the airplane does not change
as it begins to bank.  The difference in ease of banking, then, is
the difference between air friction on a stationary object and air
friction on a moving object.

;-)

I mean, if you're going to reason incorrectly about cars, why not
go all the way?

(Note that, unless a car is skidding or spinning its wheels, the
relative speed between the bottom of the tire and the road is 0.)

tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) (10/23/85)

>It is very much easier to turn the wheel (using the steering wheel) of
>a moving car than that of a stationary car.  The surface area of tire
>on the road does not change as it begins to rotate.  The difference in
>ease of turning, then, is the difference between friction on
>stationary object and friction on a moving object.  What is the
>mathematical relation, in this case, between the two frictions?  Can
>this relation be generalized for other objects?
Not knowing anything about cars I will assume that the linkage
connecting the steering wheel to the car wheels works the same
whether the car is moving or at rest.

When you turn the wheel of a stationary car the tire rubs against the
road forcing you to work against friction.  On the other hand, to turn
the wheel of a moving car you don't need to overcome friction. As long
as the tires don't slip no work is done against friction.  (It's
possible to turn without slipping because tires are flexible.)
This seems to make sense.

Al Tino

[Not food]

In article <956@decwrl.UUCP> shuster@oblio.DEC (ROBERT L. SHUSTER) writes:
>It is very much easier to turn the wheel (using the steering wheel) of
>a moving car than that of a stationary car.  The surface area of tire
>on the road does not change as it begins to rotate.  The difference in
>ease of turning, then, is the difference between friction on
>stationary object and friction on a moving object.

No, something quite different is happening in the moving car.  The key is
that the tires are not rigid.  When you turn the wheel a little, you create
stress in the tire near the road.  If the car is not moving, turning the
wheel further requires the tire to slip against the road, whence friction
comes into play.  For a moving car, that portion of the tire spins on out
of contact with the road, relieving the stress.  Thus friction plays little
part in the ease of turning the wheel in a moving car (unless it becomes
very low, such as on ice).

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka