[net.physics] More monkey business...

wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (11/04/85)

> The monkey, rope, pulley, weight system is inherently UNSTABLE

	I disagree.  When the monkey isn't pulling on the rope, everything
	comes to a stop.

> whether the monkey or the weight rises fastest is critically dependent
> on initial conditions.

	The initial conditions were clearly stated:  Monkey and weight
	were at the same height and at rest.

> It is funny to watch so many people try to defend one of the many possible
> outcomes as being the one true answer.

	Please describe how more than one outcome can arise from the
	specified initial conditions?

		-John A. Wasser

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER
Telephone:	(617)486-2505
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: LJO2/E4
		30 Porter Rd
		Littleton, MA  01460

In article <1232@decwrl.UUCP>, wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:
>> The monkey, rope, pulley, weight system is inherently UNSTABLE
>	I disagree.  When the monkey isn't pulling on the rope, everything
>	comes to a stop.
>> whether the monkey or the weight rises fastest is critically dependent
>> on initial conditions.
>	The initial conditions were clearly stated:  Monkey and weight
>	were at the same height and at rest.
>> It is funny to watch so many people try to defend one of the many possible
>> outcomes as being the one true answer.
>	Please describe how more than one outcome can arise from the
>	specified initial conditions?
>		-John A. Wasser

Well, imagine this situation.

Imagine that the monkey has VERY heavy feet.  Now say the monkey is hanging
onto the rope and has its legs drawn up underneath it.  All of a sudden,
the monkey kicks downward with all its might.  Result?  The rest of the monkey
will be propelled significantly UPWARD because of the inertia of the heavy
feet.  This takes force off of the rope, and the weight on the other side
will pull that side downward.  Perhaps the monkey would reach the pulley
without having to climb at all (could this be repeated?  Could the monkey
draw its feet back up, however gradually, without causing an equivalent
motion on the opposite side?)

And what if the monkey starts to swing back and forth on the rope?  That will
result in added so-miscalled "centrifugal" force on the monkey side, which
would draw the weight upward, without any climbing on the part of the monkey?

Just thought I'd put in some more "monkey business."
|        skokie, illinois        |