[net.physics] The realm of physics, and the late Immanuel Velikovsky

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (11/10/85)

              It  has been  brought  to my  attention  that a number of the
          amateur physicists who regularly post to  net.physics have posted
          articles on the late Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky.  This discussion is
          normally confined to net.origins,  since  it  involves historical
          and  mythological   interpretation,  things  physicists  are  not
          normally interested in.   I  would  like  to  invite  any  of the
          net.physics viewers  who have  any interest in this topic to pick
          it up on net.origins.  I thought you might also like to read what
          a  couple  of  PROFESSIONAL  physicists  have  had  to  say about
          Velikovsky.

               Robert  Bass  is  a  former  Rhodes  scholar  who  took  his
          doctorate under  Aurel Wintner  in 1955  and three years of post-
          doctoral work in non-linear  mechanics  under  national  medal of
          science winner  Solomon Lefschetz  at Princeton.   He is credited
          with the  only dynamical  explanation of  Bode's law,  and with a
          paper in  the Summer  1974 issue  (# 8) of Pensee which basically
          settled  once  and  for  all  the   whole  question   of  whether
          Velikovsky's scenarios  were "physically possible".  The abstract
          for the paper reads as follows:

               1)  The  subtle  but  fatal  flaw  in  the  received opinion
               regarding   the   alleged   immutability  of  the  planetary
               distances is  the  following  inadequately  recognized fact:
               whether  or  not  the  solar  system is stable in any of the
               senses defined by Laplace, Lagrange, Poisson, or Littlewood,
               or is quasi-periodic, it need not be orbitally stable.

               2) As demonstrated in the text in considerable detail, it is
               perfectly possible, according to  Newton's laws  of dynamics
               and gravitation  when three or more bodies are involved, for
               planets to nearly collide and then relax into  an apparently
               stable Bode's  law kind of configuration within a relatively
               short  time;    therefore  Velikovsky's  historical evidence
               cannot be ignored.

               3) If  one started  Venus in an orbit lying entirely between
               Jupiter and Saturn, with  precisely the  appropriate initial
               position and velocity, it would within less than two decades
               work its way inward into an orbit lying entirely between the
               orbits of Mars and Jupiter.  (This follows from observations
               of the comet Oterma III and the fact that, in the restricted
               problem of  three bodies,  the mass  of the smallest body is
               irrelevant.)

               4) There  is  no  plausible  explanation  for  the anomalous
               (retrograde)   rotation   of   Venus,  other  than  that  it
               originally had prograde spin  and was  later flipped upside-
               down by a near collision with some other planet.

               5) The  fact that the spin rate of Venus is now mysteriously
               locked in resonance with the  rate  of  revolution  of Venus
               relative to  the Earth (so that Venus presents the same face
               to  Earth  at  every  inferior  conjunction)  may  provide a
               dynamical clue as to which planet Venus encountered.

               6)  Laplace's  theorem  allegedly  proving  stability of the
               solar system (1773) was  shown to  be fallacious  in 1899 by
               Poincare;   in 1953, dynamical astronomer W. M. Smart proved
               that the maximum interval of reliability of the perturbation
               equations of  Laplace and  Lagrange was not 10**11 years, as
               stated in 1895 by S. Newcomb, but actually  at most  a small
               multiple of 10**2 years.

               7)  The  eminent  dynamical  astronomer  E. W. Brown, in his
               retiring speech as President  of  the  American Astronomical
               Society in  1931, quite  explicitly stated  that there is no
               quantitative reason known to  celestial mechanics  why Mars,
               Earth, and Venus could not have nearly collided in the past.

               The paper  itself amounts  to about  ten pages  of very fine
          print and I can't reproduce it here without getting thrown out of
          usenet for  cause.  Copies  are  probably  still  available  from
          the BYU physics dept.   If  all  else  fails,  I  could photostat
          copies  of  this  article  and send them anyone interested, offer
          limited to those with  advanced degrees  in physics, astrophysics
          etc. since nobody else would have a prayer of understanding it.
          Contact me by UNIX mail if interested.

                                         II

               I don't  have to  tell any  of you  who Albert Einstein was.
          But did any of you know that he and Velikovsky  had been  pals at
          the Prussian Scientific Academy; that, along with Heinrich Loewe,
          they had edited the Scripta Universitatus,  the major cornerstone
          of  the  present  Hebrew  University  in  Jerusalem?  Some of his
          thoughts on Velikovsky may be  read  in  a  letter  TO Velikovsky
          dated March 17, 1955:

               Dear Mr. and Mrs. Velikovsky,
                 At  the  occasion  of  this inauspicious birthday you have
               presented me once more with the fruits of an almost eruptive
               productivity.   I look  forward with pleasure to reading the
               historical book that does not bring into danger  the toes of
               my own  guild.   How it  stands with  the toes  of the other
               faculty, I do not know yet.  I think of the touching prayer,
               "Holy St. Florian, spare my house, put fire to others!"
                 I  have  already  read  carefully  the first volume of the
               memoirs to "Worlds in Collision" and have supplied it with a
               few marginal  notes in  pencil that can easily be erased.  I
               admire  your  dramatic  talent  and  also  the  art  and the
               straightforwardness  of   Thackery  who  has  compelled  the
               roaring astronomical lion [Shapley] to pull in a  little his
               royal tail,  yet not  showing enough  respect for the truth.
               Also, I would be gratified  if  you  could  savor  the whole
               episode for its humorous side.
                 Unimaginable letter debts and unread manuscripts that were
               sent in, force me to be brief.  Many thanks  to both  of you
               and friendly wishes.
                                        Your,
                                             A. Einstein

               I  am  just  an  ordinary  businessman myself, and know very
          little of physics.  Therefore, when I read  or hear  about anyone
          ridiculing  or  "debunking"  Velikovsky's  theories  because they
          supposedly violate the "laws of physics", I can only assume it is
          because they  think they know more about physics than Robert Bass
          and Albert Einstein.

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (11/11/85)

[]
Please confine this nonsense to net.origins.  It appears to be the
official net repository for pseudoscience.
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/12/85)

>           . . .  I thought you might also like to read what
>           a  couple  of  PROFESSIONAL  physicists  have  had  to  say about
>           Velikovsky.

Actually, I've read the comments of more than a couple of physicists on
the subject.

>                Robert  Bass  is  a  former  Rhodes  scholar  who ...
>           . . .   is credited
>           with the  only dynamical  explanation of  Bode's law,  and with a
>           paper in  the Summer  1974 issue  (# 8) of Pensee which basically
>           settled  once  and  for  all  the   whole  question   of  whether
>           Velikovsky's scenarios  were "physically possible".

As anyone familiar with science or common sense is well aware, no
single paper ever settles any question "once and for all."  I haven't
read the paper in question, but I'm suspicious of anything with an
abstract that says "the only explanation for x is y."  Again, common
sense is sufficient to show that this really means "the only
explanation I can think of for x is y."  In addition, there have been a
number of computer simulations bearing upon the subject of Bode's law
so Bass is certainly not the only person to offer a dynamical
explanation.  Not confining my reading to Pensee, I have seen other,
more recent analyses of the possibility of Velikovsky's planetary
billiards.  The consensus seems to be that only given some extremely
unlikely initial conditions is it possible (barely) to make it work.
Velikovsky himself, of course, didn't bother with working out the
physics of the process.  He just said it was so, and that was that.

>                I don't  have to  tell any  of you  who Albert Einstein was.
>           But did any of you know that he and Velikovsky  had been  pals at
>           the Prussian Scientific Academy . . .
>           . . .  Some of his
>           thoughts on Velikovsky may be  read  in  a  letter  TO Velikovsky
>           dated March 17, 1955:

So the kindly Dr Einstein in a brief personal letter said some nice
things to his old friend about his book?  That hardly counts as
scientific support by Einstein for Velikovsky's ideas.  Now if you
could produce a scientific paper by Einstein in support of Velikovsky,
that would be something!

>                I  am  just  an  ordinary  businessman myself, and know very
>           little of physics.  Therefore, when I read  or hear  about anyone
>           ridiculing  or  "debunking"  Velikovsky's  theories  because they
>           supposedly violate the "laws of physics", I can only assume it is
>           because they  think they know more about physics than Robert Bass
>           and Albert Einstein.

Or do you perhaps assume that you know more about the subject than the
great majority of all the physicists, astronomers, historians,
archaeologists, geologists, folklorists, etc. who have rejected
Velikovsky's ideas as demonstrably wrong?  Not anti-dogma, not too-
original, not out-of-fashion, but simply wrong because the man didn't
understand what he was writing about?
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) (11/12/85)

In article <457@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>               I  am  just  an  ordinary  businessman myself, and know very
>          little of physics.

	    So THAT'S why you believe Velikovsky's theories.  I knew
	there had to be some reason.

>          		       Therefore, when I read  or hear  about anyone
>          ridiculing  or  "debunking"  Velikovsky's  theories  because they
>          supposedly violate the "laws of physics", I can only assume it is
>          because they  think they know more about physics than Robert Bass
>          and Albert Einstein.

	    Why do you find that so difficult to believe, Ted?  Do you
	think no progress has been made in the physical sciences since
	Einstein's day?  I notice in net.origins that you seem to have
	no problem believing that you know more about evolution than
	Darwin.  I believe I know more about physics than Isaac Newton,
	whose genius was arguably comparable to Einstein's, but I
	believe that only because I am familiar with his work and the
	work of his successors.  In any case, who believes in a theory
	is not nearly as relevant as whether it stands up logically on
	its own, which Velikovsky's theories definitely do not.  Ask the
	people in net.philosophy about the validity of arguments from
	authority, if any of them will talk to you.
	    Please restrict yourself in the future to net.origins,
	where people are patient (:-) and interested (:-) (:-) enough
	to listen to your babblings.
						--pH
/*
 *	    "There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is named Iluvatar,
 *	and he made the Ainur, the Holy Ones, who were the offspring
 *	of His thought, and were with him ere aught else was made.
 *	And he propounded to them great themes . . ."
 */

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (11/12/85)

> [Ted Holden]
>               It  has been  brought  to my  attention  that a number of the
>           amateur physicists who regularly post to  net.physics have posted
	^^^^^^^^^^^^
>           articles on the late Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky.  This discussion is
>           normally confined to net.origins,  since  it  involves historical
>           and  mythological   interpretation,  things  physicists  are  not
>           normally interested in.   I  would  like  to  invite  any  of the
>           net.physics viewers  who have  any interest in this topic to pick
>           it up on net.origins.  I thought you might also like to read what
>           a  couple  of  PROFESSIONAL  physicists  have  had  to  say about
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>           Velikovsky.
--------
Dear Mr. Holden:
	I apologize to the rest of the readers of net.physics (but not to
you) for an ad-hominem attack on you, but I could not restrain myself after
reading your totally uncalled for attack on the rest of the posters to
net.physics.
	What makes you think that the debunkers of Velikovsky in net.physics
are all AMATEUR physicists?   Many have posted from universities and companies
that employ professional physicists.  I, for one, received my Ph.D in physics
from Yale University (experimental high-energy physics), was a research
associate (post-doc) for 3 years at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, and
an Assistant Professor of Physics at Harvard University for four years.
I have known literally HUNDREDS of professional physicists, and not one
of them takes Velikovsky seriously.   I sure as hell don't.
--------
> [About a hundred lines omitted- quoted from someone named Robert Bass]
>                The paper  itself amounts  to about  ten pages  of very fine
>           print and I can't reproduce it here without getting thrown out of
>           usenet for  cause.  Copies  are  probably  still  available  from
>           the BYU physics dept.   If  all  else  fails,  I  could photostat
>           copies  of  this  article  and send them anyone interested, offer
>           limited to those with  advanced degrees  in physics, astrophysics
>           etc. since nobody else would have a prayer of understanding it.
>           Contact me by UNIX mail if interested.
--------
Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time.  I must attend a meeting
of the SCSSESV (Secret Conspiratorial Society of the Scientific Establishment
for the Suppression of Velikovskyism.)
--------
>                I don't  have to  tell any  of you  who Albert Einstein was.
>           But did any of you know that he and Velikovsky  had been  pals at
>           the Prussian Scientific Academy; that, along with Heinrich Loewe,
>           they had edited the Scripta Universitatus,  the major cornerstone
>           of  the  present  Hebrew  University  in  Jerusalem?  Some of his
>           thoughts on Velikovsky may be  read  in  a  letter  TO Velikovsky
>           dated March 17, 1955:
>                Dear Mr. and Mrs. Velikovsky,
>                  At  the  occasion  of  this inauspicious birthday you have
>                presented me once more with the fruits of an almost eruptive
>                productivity.   I look  forward with pleasure to reading the
>                historical book that does not bring into danger  the toes of
>                my own  guild.   How it  stands with  the toes  of the other
>                faculty, I do not know yet.  I think of the touching prayer,
>                "Holy St. Florian, spare my house, put fire to others!"
>                  I  have  already  read  carefully  the first volume of the
>                memoirs to "Worlds in Collision" and have supplied it with a
>                few marginal  notes in  pencil that can easily be erased.  I
>                admire  your  dramatic  talent  and  also  the  art  and the
>                straightforwardness  of   Thackery  who  has  compelled  the
>                roaring astronomical lion [Shapley] to pull in a  little his
>                royal tail,  yet not  showing enough  respect for the truth.
>                Also, I would be gratified  if  you  could  savor  the whole
>                episode for its humorous side.
>                  Unimaginable letter debts and unread manuscripts that were
>                sent in, force me to be brief.  Many thanks  to both  of you
>                and friendly wishes.
>                                         Your,
>                                              A. Einstein
>

>                I  am  just  an  ordinary  businessman myself, and know very
>           little of physics.  Therefore, when I read  or hear  about anyone
>           ridiculing  or  "debunking"  Velikovsky's  theories  because they
>           supposedly violate the "laws of physics", I can only assume it is
>           because they  think they know more about physics than Robert Bass
>           and Albert Einstein.
-------
If you read into Einstein's letter an endorsement of Velikovsky's theories
then you are even more stupid then I thought.  As for Robert Bass, I never
heard of him.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

> So the kindly Dr Einstein in a brief personal letter said some nice
> things to his old friend about his book?  That hardly counts as
> scientific support by Einstein for Velikovsky's ideas.  Now if you
> could produce a scientific paper by Einstein in support of Velikovsky,
> that would be something!

Or even a foreword to one of his books.  Einstein did this
for at least one technical book of which I am aware.  His
letter as quoted did not even seem to me to be particularly
supportive of the contents of the book, just a "thats nice,
you sure have an active imagination, best wishes" response.

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/16/85)

Ted said:
> >        Robert Bass is a former Rhodes scholar who ...
> >     settled once and for all the whole question of whether
> >   Velikovsky's scenarios were "physically possible".
>
> "Goody" Grady to the attack:
>  The consensus seems to be that only given some extremely
> unlikely initial conditions is it possible (barely) to make it work.
> Velikovsky himself, of course, didn't bother with working out the
> physics of the process.  He just said it was so, and that was that.

Yep! it seems so.     .. ..  dang blast it all!

           Ah, the frustration of being mere physicist,  when
               it seems "prophet" is what I need be.
              Surely profit is what our country needs!
                                                 I. Velisolly
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/16/85)

> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan rings his bell:
> 	What makes you think that the debunkers of Velikovsky in net.physics
> are all AMATEUR physicists?

Their article's content?  He meant to say your work is not worthy
of pays; it was a kind of mild put down.

> Many have posted from universities and companies that employ
> professional physicists.
Oh!  My Gosh,  for real!  Does that mean you get more than
minimum wage?

> > [About a hundred lines omitted- quoted from someone named Robert Bass]
> >      The paper  itself amounts  to about  ten pages  of very fine
> > print and I can't reproduce it here without getting thrown out of
> > usenet for  cause.  Copies  are  probably  still  available  from
> > the BYU physics dept.

> Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time.

> > "debunking"  Velikovsky's  theories  because they
> > supposedly violate the "laws of physics", I can only assume it is
> > because they  think they know more about physics than Robert Bass
> > and Albert Einstein.

>  As for Robert Bass, I never heard of him.

W H A T ??   Haven't heard of Bob Bass??  Come on, in addition to
having a PhD in physics he has a law degree and is a patent
attorney, and seems to do just about anything else he sets his
mind to.  He even invented a fusion reactor and received a patent
and quite a sizeable settlement from BYU or the Board of the
Mormon Church.  He built a full scale model of a Nick Tesla's coil
with a man from MA by the name of Robert Golka.  Bass worked
recently for Hughes Helicopter, but now is employed by Litton Ind.
I mean like, get with it William.

                I was a boy before but I'm out of it now.
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (11/17/85)

I thought Carl Sagan did a credible job of debunking some of Velikovsky's
more fantastic theories in his books.  Try _The Cosmic Connection_ or
_Broca's Brain_ (unlike _Cosmos_ these earlier books were written for
college-educated readers).  --Barry Kort

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (11/18/85)

Velikovsky presents the scientific community with a challenging
paradox.  On the one hand, he proposed bold theories which shook the
foundations of conventional theory.  For this alone, he cannot be
condemned.  After all, Copernicus, Galileo, and Einstein did the same.
Velikovsky correctly predicted that his theories would be ridiculed.
For this he had ample precedent (e.g. Galileo).  I think Velikovsky's
main error was not in his scientific theorizing--after all, much of
the labor of science is to conceive of experiments to confirm or refute
hypotheses about the nature of things.  I think Velikovsky's main error
was his arrogant manner of presenting his theories as revelations to
a naive and gullible public.  In this regard, I feel Velikovsky did a
grave disservice to Science by undermining the process of testing
proposed theories against evidence and logic.  But the other side of the
coin is that he forced the scientific community to clarify the process
by which successful theories are filtered out from the many ideas
that are put forth to explain how the universe came to be in the
state that we find it in our present epoch.  Here I commend that much-
maligned populist-scientist Carl Sagan who took the time and effort
to explain in layman's terms how science is done, and how science deals
with pseudo-science theories such as those of Velikovsky and the Creationists.
(See e.g. Chapter 7 of Sagan's _Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance
of Science_.)
--Barry Kort