[net.physics] slingshot effect

wpallen@watale.UUCP (Warren P. Allen @ U of Waterloo X 2522) (11/12/85)

Can anyone explain to me (in 250 words or less) the famed
'slingshot' effect that is used to accelerate space probes?

I understand this effect is used not only to change the
trajectory of the craft, but also its *speed*.

I know it has to do with angular momentum, but *how* is the
planet's momentum transfered to the space craft?

PS. keep it simple if possible..

thanx

jmc@wuphys.UUCP (Jimmy Chen) (11/14/85)

>Can anyone explain to me (in 250 words or less) the famed
>'slingshot' effect that is used to accelerate space probes?
>
>I understand this effect is used not only to change the
>trajectory of the craft, but also its *speed*.
>
>I know it has to do with angular momentum, but *how* is the
>planet's momentum transfered to the space craft?
>
>PS. keep it simple if possible..
>
>thanx

Newton's Law of Gravity says that, in principle, gravity is a
universal force and exerts its influence everywhere.
In practice, this is not always relevant.  For example,
to calculate the trajectory of a falling pencil it is
not necessary to include the gravitational effects of
the sun, the moon, etc.  Only the earth's gravity is of
any importance.  So, we can imagine the sun, planets,
moons, and other heavenly bodies of the universe being
surrounded by a domain of influence where its gravity
dominants all other heavenly bodies.  Consider the
trajectory of a satellite, say the Voyager.  During most of its
trajectory it orbits the sun everything else being
irrelevant.  When it enters Jupiter's
domain of influence we can imagine the sun's gravity
being turned off and Jupiter's on.  Since Jupiter is
itself orbiting the sun, Voyager is carried along as a
rock is carried in a slingshot which we whirl around
our head.  Just as the rock picks up the momentum of
the slingshot, Voyager picks up the momentum of
Jupiter.  When Voyager leaves the influence of Jupiter
for that of the sun its velocity is increased if it
leaves in the direction of Jupiter's motion and
decreased if it leaves in the opposite direction.
That's roughly it.

                          Jimmy Chen (wuphys!jmc)

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (11/14/85)

> Can anyone explain to me (in 250 words or less) the famed
> 'slingshot' effect that is used to accelerate space probes?
>
> I understand this effect is used not only to change the
> trajectory of the craft, but also its *speed*.
>
> I know it has to do with angular momentum, but *how* is the
> planet's momentum transfered to the space craft?
>
> PS. keep it simple if possible..
>
> thanx

It's fairly simple: An object entering the gravity well of a planet (or other
body) has potential energy of position. As it falls into the gravity well
it changes that potential energy into kinetic energy. If it burns NO fuel
then as it climbs out of the well it will change back the kinetic energy
it gained into potential energy. However, if it BURNS fuel at the bottom
of the well its mass is reduced. The kinetic energy gained by the fuel
as it fell into the well goes directly into the ship itself as the fuel
is burned. Thus, it gains speed by falling, burns fuel (thus reducing its mass)
and as a result KEEPS the extra kinetic energy as it climbs out of the
gravity well. Angular momentum doesn't really play a part.

Bob Silverman   (they call me Mr. 9)

rimey@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Ken &) (11/16/85)

wpallen@watale.UUCP (Warren P. Allen @ U of Waterloo X 2522) writes:
>Can anyone explain to me (in 250 words or less) the famed
>'slingshot' effect that is used to accelerate space probes?
>		. . .
>PS. keep it simple if possible..
>
>thanx

Picture a spacecraft traveling in a hyperbolic trajectory about a
stationary massive body (a planet).  Early, when the spacecraft is
still far away, it moves with constant velocity.  Later, after the
encounter, its velocity has changed direction.

Now look at the encounter from a reference frame moving with the
spacecraft's initial velocity.  What you see is a moving planet
approaching a stationary spacecraft and sending the spacecraft flying
away.

I think that's all there is to the slingshot effect.  Its more like
using a sling than a slingshot.

						Ken Rimey
						ucbvax!rimey
						rimey@dali.berkeley.EDU

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (11/18/85)

At least two explanations have appeared for the slingshot effect that do NOT
involve a burn at the bottom of the planet's gravity well. It might at first
appear that this violates conservation of energy. In fact what happens is
that both energy and momentum are transferred from teh planet to the
spacecraft -- the planet *slows down* in response to the flyby.

I would be interested in seeing this worked out in some detail. Might even
do it myself if I have time.
--
Norman Ramsey

ARPA: norman@lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!norman

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (11/19/85)

In the slingshot effect, does it help to resolve the velocity
of the spacecraft into two orthgonal components: a radial component
outward from the Sun, and an orbital component around the Sun?
(The planet has orbital velocity, but zero radial velocity.)  In
the interaction, is the planet ever-so-slightly deflected into a
perturbed orbit with a different mean radius about the Sun thereby
exchanging energy with the spacecraft, which undergoes an appreciable
change in both orbital and radial components of its velocity?  I'm not
about to dive into the equations on this one, but it seems that an
exchange of energy between the planet and the spacecraft must occur,
keeping the total (system) energy (kinetic plus potential) and
momentum (angular and radial) constant.  I would be grateful to know
if this line of reasoning leads toward a simplified analysis.
--Barry Kort

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (11/21/85)

> At least two explanations have appeared for the slingshot effect that do NOT
> involve a burn at the bottom of the planet's gravity well. It might at first
> appear that this violates conservation of energy. In fact what happens is
> that both energy and momentum are transferred from teh planet to the
> spacecraft -- the planet *slows down* in response to the flyby.
>
> I would be interested in seeing this worked out in some detail. Might even
> do it myself if I have time.

This whole thing has been blown out of porportion.  Ethan Vishniac had it
right.  No burn is required at the bottom of the potential well.  The
easiest way to think about it is as follows:

In the center-of-mass frame of reference of the planet and the probe,
the two bodies approach and recede on symmetrically placed hyperbolic
orbits.  The two bodies approach and recede with the same speed.
(The massive planet hardly moves at all in this encounter and to
a first approximation we can regard it as fixed, i.e., on a degenerate
hyperbolic orbit).

But we observe the event in a "laboratory" frame of reference fixed with
respect to the Sun.  In that frame, the probe enters the encounter with
one speed and leaves with another.  As pointed out above, however, no
violation of energy/momentum conservation is involved, since the orbit
of the massive planet is also affected, albeit imperceptibly.  The net
result is that energy has been transferred from the planet to the probe.
This is Freshman Physics stuff.  To solve it, transform to the C.O.M.
frame, do the calculation, then transform back to the lab frame.

If you ignore the mass of the probe and the eccentricity of the planet's
orbit, there is a conserved quantity in the problem.  In this simplified
case (the Restricted Problem of Three Bodies) the Jacobi Constant is
conserved.  The conservation of this constant is the basis of
Tisserand's criterion for determining whether or not two comets that
appeared at different times are in fact the same comet at two apparitions,
the comet's orbit having been strongly perturbed by Jupiter in the interim.
(This is a not-uncommon occurrence).

You can read all about this in Szebehely's "Theory of Orbits" (Academic
Press 1967), which is the standard work.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (11/21/85)

> In the center-of-mass frame of reference of the planet and the probe,
> the two bodies approach and recede on symmetrically placed hyperbolic
> orbits.  The two bodies approach and recede with the same speed.
> (The massive planet hardly moves at all in this encounter and to
> a first approximation we can regard it as fixed, i.e., on a degenerate
> hyperbolic orbit).

Rereading this, I notice that it is a little ambiguous.  I meant to
say that the probe leaves the encounter with the same speed (at infinity)
that it enters with.  The above might be interpreted to mean that the
planet and the probe had the same speed, which is obvously wrong.
The two hyperbolas are symmetric in shape, but not in size, and in
the limit as the mass of the planet goes to infinity, the planet's
hyperbolic orbit shrinks to a point.

lambert@boring.UUCP (11/22/85)

> [A] In the slingshot effect, does it help to resolve the velocity
> of the spacecraft into two orthgonal components: a radial component
> outward from the Sun, and an orbital component around the Sun?
> (The planet has orbital velocity, but zero radial velocity.)  [B] In
> the interaction, is the planet ever-so-slightly deflected into a
> perturbed orbit [...] ?  [...]  I would be grateful to know
> if this line of reasoning leads toward a simplified analysis.
> --Barry Kort

I think the answer to Q. A is "Yes", and to Q. B "Yes, of course, but this
does not simplify the analysis".  It depends on what exactly you want to
analyze, but for explaining the slingshot effect, it is easiest to assume
that the mass of the spacecraft is negligible compared to that of the
planet.  Another simplifying assumption is that during the brief close
encounter of planet and spacecraft, the influence of other heavenly bodies
can be ignored.  Thus, the planet moves in a straight line.  In actual
planning, the last simplification is not allowed, but then the guys from
NASA will simply integrate the differential equations numerically, rather
than try to understand the phenomenon.
Since the original question was asked, I have seen the correct and simple
explanation come along, followed by some less-than-illuminating
"explanations".  So here follows an amplification on what I hold to be the
best analysis.
Imagine a movie of the spacecraft in a trajectory near the planet.  If the
camera moves so that the planet *seems* at rest, the spacecraft will appear
to follow a trajectory like that of a comet, say, near the sun.  If the
camera is kept still, the velocity of the planet is added vector-wise to
all objects in the movie.
In the snapshots below the orbital velocities are horizontal and the radial
velocities are vertical.  The planet is indicated with "O" and the
spacecraft with "x".  Snapshot 1 shows the approach with a still camera.
The spacecraft appears to "undershoot" the planet, but note that the planet
is moving in the meantime.  In snapshot 2 the velocity vector of the planet
has been subtracted from both velocities, putting the planet at rest.  The
trajectory of the spacecraft is now some conic section, e.g. a hyperbola.
After some time, the situation in snapshot 3 is reached.  Adding back the
subtracted velocity vector, we get snapshot 4.  Because the vectors for
planet and spacecraft are aligned, the absolute size of the spacecraft's
velocity has increased.  (So to conserve energy, the planet must have
slowed down, but by an imperceptible amount.)  Finally, snapshot 5 combines
1 and 4.

                              <--------O
                                       __
                                       \  .
                                             .
                                                .
1. Initial velocities, absolute inertial frame.

                                                   ^
                                                   .
                                                   .
                                                   .
2. Initial velocities, relative inertial frame.

               <  .  .  .  x

3. Final   velocities, relative inertial frame.

   <    .    .    .    x

                              <--------O

4. Final   velocities, absolute inertial frame.

   <    .    .    .    x

                              <--------O
                                       __
                                       \  .
                                             .
                                                .
5. Combined snapshot,  absolute inertial frame.
(This last picture is a hybrid: the positions are shown as if the planet
were at rest.  But at the time snapshot 4 is taken, the planet has moved to
its arrowhead, and the final position of the spacecraft should be shifted
by the same amount.  The purpose of this overlay is to compare the
velocities "before" and "after" in one picture.)

Note that it is not necessary or even helpful for an explanation to resort
to gravity wells that give a "boost", let alone to the supposed habit of
planets to "carry along" innocent bodies (in their ethereal wind?) that
fall prey to their sphere of influence.  The slingshot effect is much like
the Coriolis phenomenon in that it suffices to shift temporarily to a
different frame of reference to understand it, which could be illustrated
superbly by a movie.
--

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP